IGNORED

Hose Clamps from Hell

BeemerBerg

Help!!

I'm putting my 05 RT back together after replacing the clutch (major surgery, but not impossible). There's always those 'little things' that really make the job miserable.

I'm trying to reinstall the throttle bodies, but there's those pesky Oetiker clips that are used--three sizes

Oh my God!! has anyone figgered these things out?? Taking them off was difficult, but putting them back on is teaching me a whole new vocabulary. Yea, I know there's a 'special tool' to get the job done, but very expensive and hard to find.

http://gotzenbergs.smugmug.com/Other/clutch/i-2KS9Z2X/0/M/Oetiker%20clips-M.jpg

Has anyone out there been down this road? I would love to replace them all with good old fashioned hose clamps, but the stock Oetiker clamps are narrow and have to fit in a channel.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!!

I can't find the thread.. but I thought that just recently someone (maybe D. Eilenberger?) found a suitable replacement for the expensive Oetiker pliers... Hopefully someone will chime in that knows...

I think Harbor (Horror) Freight tools at one time had something you could use as a pliers..

BTW, I believe there are marine style (screw) hose clamps that are narrower and the screw threads DO NOT come into the clamp so they are safe for hoses... Try WEST MARINE, etc..

Morning aggieengineer

I'm not sure the pliers you linked to will work on the 1200 BMW earless clamps.

The pliers you linked to are for the crimp type (eared) clamps.

I have a similar crimp type (eared) clamp pliers & they definitely won't open far enough or properly engage the earless clamps on the BMW 1200.

The earless 1200 BMW clamps need a tool more like this --

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_7769238_0006392255

I found it easier to order a bag of the crimp-type in the sizes I needed along with the correct pliers. It then becomes a matter of removing and tossing the old clamp and installing a new one. I'm guessing I ordered the clamps from McMaster-Carr since they are my go-to supplier for many hard to find items.

I mangaged to refit mine with a set of the old motrcycle pliers you used to get in the Japanese tool kits.

However if you have mangled the clamps getting them off it migght be more tricky getting them to lock back on. Maybe a set of new ones wil work for you.

They are narrower than standard wind up jubilee clamps and I couldn't find suitable replacement aside from new, in the end I resuded my old ones. They've been off and on again on the LH side since than although by dealer who most likely had the correct tool.

\v/

These are not "crimp type" Oetiker clamps but rather "low profile" Oetiker clamps.

http://www.oetiker.com/en/Products#/?l0=A7D278F8664B424DA07D0E74E96A6B8A&l1=08FA41C499664C8B886E06FDB196472C

Crimp type clamps are not reusable; these are.

Understand that both types will reliably provide a specified clamping torque when properly installed. Only by blind luck will you achieve this same torque specification with a screw-type clamp and even then that clamp must be the same width.

The BMW special tool required is 13 1 512

These are not "crimp type" Oetiker clamps but rather "low profile" Oetiker clamps.

http://www.oetiker.com/en/Products#/?l0=A7D278F8664B424DA07D0E74E96A6B8A&l1=08FA41C499664C8B886E06FDB196472C

Crimp type clamps are not reusable; these are.

Understand that both types will reliably provide a specified clamping torque when properly installed. Only by blind luck will you achieve this same torque specification with a screw-type clamp and even then that clamp must be the same width.

The BMW special tool required is 13 1 512

A useful post,

Thanks

\v/

Secret Buzzard

One trick I found when reinstalling these clamps is to use a shot of WD-40 to lube the rubber. Using a pair of water pump pliers after a squirt and they will just pop on very easy. The pliers need to have the jaws opened up so they are nearly parallel with the ears. The WD-40 allows the clamp to move around its circumference and evenly compress. That was the problem I had. When the rubber gets aged it isn't as flexible and when I squeezed the clamp it would bunch the rubber up near the engagement pin area but not on the backside. Worked for me!

Archived