IGNORED

1200RT accessory rewiring

awagnon

I finally got around to rewiring the accessory outlets and adding some to the used 2009 RT I recently bought. I couldn't see paying $60+ for one of the fuse boxes like Fuzebox, Centec, etc. for just a fancy fuse holder. Instead I bought a watertight fuse box from a local hardware store for $12 and added some scraps of metal I had around. The cover of the fuse box has a rubber gasket and looks water proof. I've seen them online for cheaper. The left three fuses are wired directly to the battery and the right three are after an ignition-triggered relay. The relay is mounted to an aluminum bracket with a ground buss. I have two unused fuse slots left. Just thought I'd post pictures in case someone wanted an alternate for the standard fuse boxes.

As seen from the right side of the bike:

RTwiring002_zpsed2bc82f.jpg

As seen from the left rear:

RTwiring004_zps6067c39c.jpg

Where did you find the ground buss?

Made it from a piece of 1/2" square aluminum bar stock. Drilled six holes and tapped them for 8 X 32 - 1/2" screws. It's mounted with flathead screws from behind. Actually you could just use the aluminum plate with screws into it for simplicity. I was bored.

• 2 weeks later...

It's great to see clean electrical add ons. Where did you pick up the switched hot from? Have you had any problems with the CAN BUS sensing additional load?

Thanks.

It's great to see clean electrical add ons. Where did you pick up the switched hot from? Have you had any problems with the CAN BUS sensing additional load?

Thanks.

I used the left rear passenger accessory port wire for my relay trigger. Haven't had any problems. The CANbus doesn't see any of this load since it's all direct to the battery except the relay trigger which uses very little power. I replaced all of the lower capacity accessory outlets with higher capacity outlets and larger capacity wires while at it.

Archived