IGNORED

RT valve service without removing the fairing?

rich t

My question was purely academic. I'm currently on a 99 rt, so I was just curious about handling the valve adjustments (shim checks). I typically do my valve adjustments one evening when the bike is colde, then do the tb check at the next day. You've got to check the tb's when the bike is warm, so I leave the tupperware on until that time.

Was just thinking that it would be a bit inconvenient to have to take the tupperware off for the valve check only to find you need shims, but then have to put everything back together until you have the correct shims. I wouldn't take as much issue with just having to take the valve covers off without having to touch tupperware (as is with my current rt).

Don't even have to remove the Z Technik engine guards to do the valves or take the plastic off. Have had/done 8 service events and valve clearances has moved very little and remain within spec.

Bill

Shims? Sorry - I've only ever worked on an airhead and an oilhead...I think I've seen shims in powersports catalogs, but there aren't any for the valves on a 99 RT are there?

Shims? Sorry - I've only ever worked on an airhead and an oilhead...I think I've seen shims in powersports catalogs, but there aren't any for the valves on a 99 RT are there?

This is the Camhead forum, which does have shims.

Oops - missed that - I was just looking at his post, and now I see he is referencing his current bike but asking about a possible new bike. All makes sense to me now - no more posting early sunday morning... :dopeslap:

Thanks!

Oops - missed that - I was just looking at his post, and now I see he is referencing his current bike but asking about a possible new bike. All makes sense to me now - no more posting early sunday morning... :dopeslap:

Thanks!

I was actually asking about Camheads. I'm sure I could do a valve adjustment on the hexhead in the newer bodystile, as I've done oilhead and airhead valve adjustments. I try to keep up with the technology and have been fascinated with the way bmw has evolved the RT motor. I watched a video on the camhead valve adjustment recently, and the tech took most of the fairing off. Fairing removal looked a bit more involved than on the 99, but not out of reason.

The heads do look more accessible on the newer bikes.

Archived