IGNORED

Fox News talks up Canada

Ken H.

I've been offered and have co-worker/friends who have been employed north of the boarder. They all came home!!!

It *ain't no picnic* let alone the problems they encountered such as your health care system. Not gonna get into that debate again..!

AND.... many of the benefits from their respected trade Union they worked under,{thats right "majority of the work is Union"} will not transfer back to their *Home Local* Trade Union.

Let's not forget the large chunk of change withdrawn "each week" from your paycheck for Canada's unemployment system,which US workers found out it STAYS in Canada,won't pay you when you get laid off and go back home to the lower 48.

Housing and food is ridiculous,of course it is a BOOM going on...or you stay in a camp away from your loved one's (I've done it and it sucks).

Shall I go on about some of the environmental conditions, like the Fort McMurry Oil Sands which many will tell you the air stinks so bad you want to puke.....

If your "single and have no dependants" and use to the rough life of the construction trades,you just might fit in.

Oh,I forgot to mention the weather....what we here in the lower 48 call winter the locals or those from up north call a spring day.

Vast majority of the lower 48 workers leave by Oct they can't handle the cold.

Maybe why "lately" those companys are getting so "picky" about hiring foreigners...

I'll end it here............

We've got many of the same issues of infrastructure such as housing, roads etc. But we are in the U.S and all the skills Canada is begging for we need here in Western North Dakota. Just sayin... Yes it gets cold, dress for it, and don't bring the flimsy camper. It won't protect you much. But by and large the people (native born North Dakotans) are warm and friendly. Some of the rowdyness of the man camps have put off the locals. But the work is here in the good old U.S.A.

We've got many of the same issues of infrastructure such as housing, roads etc. But we are in the U.S and all the skills Canada is begging for we need here in Western North Dakota. Just sayin... Yes it gets cold, dress for it, and don't bring the flimsy camper. It won't protect you much. But by and large the people (native born North Dakotans) are warm and friendly. Some of the rowdyness of the man camps have put off the locals. But the work is here in the good old U.S.A.

Yep,our Local was notified.

I finishedup 7-10's at BP this past Fall ,(largest construction job currently in the US) then went onto 7-12's at O'Hare Airport.

It's nice to sleep in your own bed and eat a home cooked meal!!!

Taking the rest of the winter off....next year contemplating retirement.

My buddy and his brother just came back (Sept),from the Canada side just north of ya. He was at the power plant.

Me,I stayed home...I didn't get married just to leave her behind....

....my Booming days are long over...other than maybe working out of the country for the BIG tax breaks!!!

Ken, Do your friends know you're watching Fox news? :)

LOL. Actually a Canada network (Global) has a story about Fox doing a story. I went searching for it. Had to turn off a whole bunch of blocking software on my PC that I had installed before the Fox site would even come up. :D

I've been offered and have co-worker/friends who have been employed north of the boarder. They all came home!!!

It *ain't no picnic* let alone the problems they encountered such as your health care system. Not gonna get into that debate again..!

AND.... many of the benefits from their respected trade Union they worked under,{thats right "majority of the work is Union"} will not transfer back to their *Home Local* Trade Union.

Let's not forget the large chunk of change withdrawn "each week" from your paycheck for Canada's unemployment system,which US workers found out it STAYS in Canada,won't pay you when you get laid off and go back home to the lower 48.

Housing and food is ridiculous,of course it is a BOOM going on...or you stay in a camp away from your loved one's (I've done it and it sucks).

Shall I go on about some of the environmental conditions, like the Fort McMurry Oil Sands which many will tell you the air stinks so bad you want to puke.....

If your "single and have no dependants" and use to the rough life of the construction trades,you just might fit in.

Oh,I forgot to mention the weather....what we here in the lower 48 call winter the locals or those from up north call a spring day.

Vast majority of the lower 48 workers leave by Oct they can't handle the cold.

Maybe why "lately" those companys are getting so "picky" about hiring foreigners...

I'll end it here............

While there is some truth in what you say, it is hard work, and obviously I disagree with you about our health care system, not all work is in the oil sands or related. Edmonton is a thriving modern metropolitan city with one of the lowest (some months the lowest) unemployment rate in the world. Virtually all professions are looking for people. If you have a degree in most anything there is opportunity to be found. But yes, it does get cold.

Archived