IGNORED

Neutral Switch

DaveyMac

BTW does that include a updated O-ring, that some others have talk about?
I thing so, but regardless, the # for the O-ring is 23311341836

Presuming you mean the neutral light / gear selection indicator switch on the rear of the tranny - 61312306202

This part is only the neutral light indicator switch. The gear selection indicator switch is a seperate assembly mounted to the back side of the neutral switch.

Stan

• 2 weeks later...
Jeff from Massachusetts

I am in the process of replacing my neutral switch. Here is what I learned. After following all the good advice on drive shaft/swing arm removal I got to the switch. First you remove two screws holding the two switches together. Then slide off the gear position indicator switch. Then you must pry a little to get the neutral switch loose and slide it off. This is where some confusion started. Gear oil will start leaking out from around shaft, a quick look at shaft shows there is no seal there as you can see the bearing. This is when I found out the seal is actually part of the neutral switch which the parts guy at the dealer said was complete even after I specifically asked. So I had to order the seal and put the old switch back in place to stop the oil leak. So the lesson is to replace the switch make sure you order three parts, the switch, the O ring, and the seal (which fits in the back of the switch)

I've lived with a flaky neutral switch from 1999-2004. In 2005 the thing started consitently lighting again and has been working for a year. thumbsup.gif

Jeff from Massachusetts

I Few pics of neutral switch project. You can see old switch in place to prevent oil from dripping out along shaft. The gear indicator switch would normally be mounted on top piggybacked.

DSCN3398.jpgDSCN3402.jpgDSCN3399.jpg

Archived