IGNORED

99 R1100RT fuel pump issue?

rlusher

I changed the fuel filter the other day. Then ran the bike for a bit just to test, re-synched the carbs (as part of routine service), then went for a test ride. Got out of my driveway and it died. Took a bit, but finally re-started. Got about a mile, and it died, and now will not start. Fuel pump makes a funny sound different from the normal "whir" at key on/kill switch run, sort of like a short "vip". Per another post, I switched the horn and pump relays (and replaced the fuse), but no difference. The filter is installed properly, because I checked it against a BMW service diagram. I also have about 1 gallon of fuel in the tank. I am wondering if it got clogged up somehow, and fried. Would GREATLY appreciate any advice.

That "funny" pump sound is probably from a hose loose or split inside the tank. Listen closely with the tank cap open when turning on ignition.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve. When I listen closer, the "vip" sound is actually coming from the relay, and not the tank. There is no sound coming from the tank. Also, I could not find any hoses that appeared to be split and/or loose.

OK. Need to revise my previous post. There is sound coming from the tank. It is a quick "click", then "vip" sound. I have the tank open so I can inspect everything.

Snod, please tell me what the HES is. Sorry, I am a novice. Thanks.

-Rick

The HES is the Hall Effect Sensor, basically the crank position sensor mounted behind the crank pulley.

The insulation gets brittle and moisture gets in the wires.

Thanks for the clarification. Is it possible the filter got clogged? Just strange that it ran perfectly before I changed the filter, and now... nothing. Also, could that damage the pump (if the filter clogged)?

Is there a way to test the pump, in order to rule that out as the problem? Thanks.

You can test the pump with a fuel pressure gauge. Inexpensive ones can be found at Harbor Freight. Keep in mind that the fuel pressure from a functioning pump is significant, around 40psi if memory serves me right.

That being said, I say it it much more likely to be something connected to your recent work on the fuel system, split hose, loose fuel connection, something along those lines.

The split or looose connection may not be obvious, but will show up when under pressure.

Use extreme caution. You do not want a spray of pressurized fuel in the face or anywhere else.

Test the pressure with the tank in place. It is the safe way to do this. It will be obvious that you have a problem based on the pressure reading.

Thanks Eddd. Let me ask you something.

Originally, I siphoned the fuel into a container that holds my mower fuel, using a metal [painted] coat hanger to guide the siphon hose toward the bottom of the tank. I then dumped that back into the tank when finished.

Now, I just today siphoned all the fuel out of the tank once again to get back to the pump/filter. There was what seemed like a lot of debris in the tank, including what appeared to be paint from the coat hanger (lesson learned!). Could everything be clogged up? If so, can I "wash" out the tank to get that stuff out? Would that cause the pump to fail? Thanks.

Hate to say but.... It was running, you worked on it, now it doesn't run. Always looked where the last work was done. Just re-check everything that was touched. If you have added quick disconnects to the lines check them for complete engagement, Be sure the outlet and the return lines are correctly connected to the pressure regulator, check the electrical connector for full engagement. Then it no joy off with the tank. I'm still thinking it's something amiss in the tank.

Cheers

Steve

Sorry I posted and ran. One of the indications of an HES failure is no fuel pump. HES failure sometimes comes right after getting hot during a TB sync. (search HES or Hall Effect Sensor) If you have fuel pump sounds, I am thinking broken QD (quick disconect), or a broken/split internal hose, or doing the fuel line backwards. As I recall it won't start/run with the lines backwards. I have my QD's set up so I can't do it backwards. A little gunk in the bottom of the tank is not unusual. Normally the strainer and the fuel filter take care of what little there is.

Thanks Eddd. Let me ask you something.

Originally, I siphoned the fuel into a container that holds my mower fuel, using a metal [painted] coat hanger to guide the siphon hose toward the bottom of the tank. I then dumped that back into the tank when finished.

Now, I just today siphoned all the fuel out of the tank once again to get back to the pump/filter. There was what seemed like a lot of debris in the tank, including what appeared to be paint from the coat hanger (lesson learned!). Could everything be clogged up? If so, can I "wash" out the tank to get that stuff out? Would that cause the pump to fail? Thanks.

It doesn't seem likely that there would be enough debris to clog the system to the point of stopping it completely. The sock has a large surface area and covering all that area seems unlikely. Even more unlikey is the filter becoming clogged since enough small debris would have to get passed the sock and then clog the filter, which has a large surface area on the filter media.

As for washing/rinsing it out, yes that can be done. The lower recesses of the tank make it more difficult, but with a syringe, fresh gas, and time you could get most of the debris out without too much difficulty. This process would be much easier and have a far better chance at success if done with the pump plate removed.

Thanks to all for the feedback. I will try all these things and hope I can sort it out. I'll post again when I figure it out; I am certain I am going to learn a really good lesson from all this. Thanks again!

-Rick

Archived