IGNORED

K1200s hugger install question

Dundee387

Hey guys, I need some help with installing a hugger on my 2008 K1200s. I believe it's a Bestem hugger, I purchased it off ebay, and it came with no hardware or instructions.

This is my issue; everything lines up right, but I'm not sure about what to do with the bolts. Should I re-use the old ones as is? Cut off the captive washer and re-use the old stock bolts, or use a new bolt, maybe slightly longer to make up the difference that the carbon bracket takes up on the hub?

Here are some photos to help illustrate. The original bolt is a fillister head screw M8x30 (with captive washer).

IMG_0994_zps390648ce.jpg

IMG_0995_zpse0ddbb62.jpg

As you can see there is still enough clearance between the screw and the brake rotor, when using the original screw and washer.

IMG_0996_zpsb6157b3b.jpg

I contacted the seller and was told to use the original bolts, without the washers, and red loctite. I don't trust this answer, and was looking for any opinions here.

Thanks much.

I just did an Ilmberger hugger on an 06 K1200GT.

It needed slightly longer bolts which they supplied with the part. Did it to protect the new lower suspension link bearings fromroad crap- just had the recall part put in.

So, fill me in: How well did the hugger fit on your '06? I've got an '07 that I'd love to do the same to but have been put off by postings that indicate that there may be some clearance issues with the slant 4 frames.

Your thoughts?

It is possible on my 06 for the hugger to make very light contact with the body work on the throttle side with suspension at full compression. The contact is very minimal, is at an angle, and creates no problem so I left it alone. I could dremel a tiny bit to eliminate it but doesn't seem worth the effort.

Given the crap that lands on link pivots otherwise, the hugger makes sense.

The K bikes are of course not the only BMWs with inadequately shielded shock parts, the R1100S being another. Most are not intended as touring machines except the K-GT, though, where the factory leaving it off just looks stupid. Even those R1100s are used for touring by some women due to the lack of BMW models built in sizes for women,

Re bolts -the bolts were more than 1 mm longer. You could do the obvious and measures the thickess of the hugger plus any washer stack at the contact area and simply buy a bolt that much longer than the stock bolts. Calipers or good rule is adequate for that.

Archived