IGNORED

Pix and Commentary from SE Asia

AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser

Ok so it's time to get some pix of SE Asia up on the wall. I took thousands but will try to show you the essence of the trip...I hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I enjoyed taking them....

In Shanghai, a huge and beautiful temple. We spent a couple of hours poking around... IMG_4031-L.jpg

Outside the temple, people light incense bundles, preparing to pray:

IMG_4030-L.jpg

As you can imagine, it was quite serene inside the temple. I could feel my blood pressure going down.

IMG_4038-L.jpg

Beautiful pray tapestries. These are about ten feet long...

IMG_4032-L.jpg

Beautiful lanterns guide the way:

IMG_4051-L.jpg

Prayers and candles:

IMG_4055-L.jpg

Do you know who this is?

IMG_4065-L.jpg

Unfortunately, the weather in Shanghai was pretty poor while we were there....42f and rainy/foggy. When you combine the weather with Shanghai's epic air pollution, this is what you get. Believe it or not nearly all of Shanghai's skyline is less than 20 years old!

IMG_4068-L.jpg

More in a bit!

AdventurePoser

Everybody needs a partner in crime. Cindy is mine; adventurous, opinionated, strong, and beautiful... IMG_4078-L.jpg

This is Nanging Road, an ultra fancy 2km stroll of boutiques, eateries, and very expensive department stores. Once you walk under the road here and come out on the other side you have a couple of miles to walk with no cars or scooters trying to kill you!

IMG_4081-L.jpg

Fortunately, there are other opportunities to escape the crowds... IMG_4106-L.jpg

AdventurePoser

Do you know who this is?

IMG_4065-L.jpg

Mao Tse Tung

Beautiful pics,....keep them coming.

Nope...that's what I thought too...it's a statue of the first mayor of Beijing. Mao actually died some years later. I should have posed Cindy in the pic to give it some scale. It is quite large!

More pix coming...

AdventurePoser
Keep them coming...great pictures.

She looks attractive, how about some pics of her without your ugly mug in the way LOL

Yeah, leave it to me to ruin a picture....more coming soon...

AdventurePoser

Originally, a private residence in Shanghai.

IMG_4123-L.jpg

IMG_4140-L.jpg

Check out the silk spinning machine. Look carefully you can see each individual thread, and the cocoons down at the bottom of the frame. One silkworm can yield a kilometer long silk thread.

IMG_4154-L.jpg

Here is the thread being stretched:

IMG_4156-L.jpg

And stretched....

IMG_4157-L.jpg

I got to lend a hand...

IMG_4161-L.jpg

AdventurePoser

Here is an exterior shot of a suburban Shanghai Middle School. I tried to meet the principal, but I was told she could not meet me without the presence of a party official. Since I didn't have an official letter of introduction, no joy.

The morning wasn't a total waste, however. Minutes after taking this image, I dropped my Canon D60, breaking my 10-22 MM lens.... :dopeslap:

Shanghai Po-Po....

IMG_4184-L.jpg

These little trolleys cruise along Nanging Rd.

IMG_4193-L.jpg

AdventurePoser

IMG_4217-L.jpg

Dry hung poultry in the butcher's store. Yummy!

Street treats at 50 cents a pop. You select the skewer and they boil it in front of you. Delicious and hot!

Nanging is a great place for walking....

IMG_4229-L.jpg

One of Shanghai's finest, on the force for seven years.

IMG_4250-L.jpg

The ubiquitous McD's. All over Shanghai, even more so than Starbuck's.

IMG_4251-L.jpg

We figured out the train system. Took a taxi to the nearest train station and used the light rail to cruise around Shanghai. Lots of fun, especially if you like getting shoved around by little old Chinese ladies. Sheesh.

IMG_4256-L.jpg

AdventurePoser

More pix from SE asia. Enjoy!

There are very few places that are not crowded...

27122764_2Ktc3B#!i=2276372908&k=zMdSnPP

The dirt and air pollution is off the charts...

IMG_4201-L.jpg

The airport at Shanghai is first rate. Next stop, Hong Kong!

IMG_4261-L.jpg

AdventurePoser

Continuing the journey, we hopped back on Cathay Pacific and headed to Hong Kong for a few days. Hong Kong is Manhatten on crack. Crazy busy, it is a playground for some of the richest people in SE Asia...

Here is great advice:

IMG_4274-L.jpg

Typical traffic...

IMG_4276-L.jpg

In Kowloon Bay, a huge floating restaurant...

IMG_4285-L.jpg

Home and business:

IMG_4301-L.jpg

AdventurePoser

Walking around Hong Kong even though the weather was very poor, still opportunities for pics!

P1050451-L.jpg

Not the place to come if you hate crowds...

P1050463-L.jpg

A tight fit for the GSA, but at least you can find a place to eat!

P1050473-L.jpg

These are 2.2lb gold ingots laid into the floor of Jackie Chan's hotel in Macau. There are 70 of them....

P1050481-L.jpg

The morning wasn't a total waste, however. Minutes after taking this image, I dropped my Canon D60, breaking my 10-22 MM lens.... :dopeslap:

My condolences. Umm I'm guessing you didn't have the lens hood on at the time.

I'll bet there is a canon repair facility around there somewhere, and being a traveler they might give you preferential treatment.

AdventurePoser

I'll bet there is a canon repair facility around there somewhere, and being a traveler they might give you preferential treatment.

Yep, did have a lens hood on the camera. The entire barrel was loose, but I found if I held in in firmly, thecamera would auto focus. Still using the lens made me nervous, so I started taking more shots with my point and shoot, or my Tamron 18-270 lens.

I ran it over to a canon repair shop in Shanghai-they still needed 10 days.

Cheers,

Steve

AdventurePoser

Everything in Bangkok was lit up in honor of the king's birthday.

P1050494-L.jpg

A favorite restaurant in Hong Kong, we ate there twice:

P1050486-L.jpg

AdventurePoser

Swenson's in Bangkok is a popular hangout...

IMG_4451-L.jpg

Food stalls by the hundreds, here is a fruit stand with the dreaded durian fruit in the back. When cut open it smells like rotting meat, but allegedly tastes much better. I tried a piece but was underwhelmed...

P1050501-L.jpg

Massage places all over:

IMG_4461-L.jpg

Boats traverse the river, taking tourists and commuters to the palaces on the other side.

IMG_4463-L.jpg

Cindy, near the temple.

P1050517-L.jpg

While searching for a rest room, I came across this sign on the door. "This must be the place," I thought.

IMG_4483-L.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
AdventurePoser

I sure gave it a try....minimum time to wait was 10 days. Ouch...fortunately I had a Tamron 28-300 with me. Plus, if I held the lens barrel tight against the camera body I could get the 10-22 to work.

Update: The lens is at the Canon facility in Irvine CA. Getting it fixed right now!

Archived