IGNORED

Odyseey Installation

Tub

I just received the Odyssey PC680. It came with female bolt holes instead of the male mounting brackets. The black ground line on the bike has a bolt installed into the L shaped connector that appears to be soldered or pressed on.

Are there L shaped connectors that I need to buy or make to install this battery in my 03 RT or do I need to modify the L brackets on the OEM lines?

Tub

My bad! I just checked the Odyssey web page and realized I did not order the BMW terminals. I guess I better go ahead and do that.

Thanks

Tub

It's probably too late--you've probably already ordered the terminals--but from what I've read most people don't use them--just get a bolt that screws in (my guess is it is 1/4-20) and bolt your cables to it. To do this many lay the battery on the side but make sure to protect the positive terminal. --Jerry

I suggest skip the L brackets and mount the battery sideways. This orientation is acceptable to the manufacturer, I've had mine installed this way for over three years, no problemo.

If yours is like mine, there is enough material left to cut off the bolt off with a dremel tool (the area that is right next to it) and drill a new hole for mounting the connector on the remaining metal..

That's what I did. Took less than two minutes.

If yours is like mine, there is enough material left to cut off the bolt off with a dremel tool (the area that is right next to it) and drill a new hole for mounting the connector on the remaining metal..

That's what I did. Took less than two minutes.

Cut the bolt off...huh?? All I had to do was unbolt the cables from the stock battery, remove battery , install the Ody sideways and connect the cables with, I believe, 6mm screws.

I asked a question a while ago about the odyssey battery and L brackets. I bought that jump start battery terminal extender and wanted to keep it. I also wanted to keep battery in upright position so that the future owner could jump start it when the battery goes dead one of these days. Someone on the board thought that I could install battery vertically, (factory position), install my L brackets, and then attach that positive battery terminal extender to it. Afterall, the battery is going to go dead some day, so why would you put it on the side? You would have to take off left hand fairing to reach it, unless you rigged a battery cable up to your starter solenoid and had it strapped up and taped and ready to go.

David Sharpe

I installed a PC680 on my 04 1150RT this Christmas vacation. For the ground terminal I used vice grips to pop out the bolt that seemed to be permanently in the terminal and bent the terminal that was left to fit. The positive terminal didn't require any mods. The battery came with two screws that fit into the battery posts. Actually they weren't posts but screw holes.

My experience installing the odyssey in my 2002 1150RT was the same as David's. I simply removed the old stock battery, twisted the bolt off the cable with a vice grip and flattened it with pliers. I then installed the new battery in the upright position and attached the cables to the battery with the screws included with the new battery. I then secured the battery with the same stock rubber strap that was used on the original battery. No supplemental connectors were needed. When stored, I use the same Battery Tender Plus I used with the stock lead acid battery and have had no problems. The Odyssey has worked great.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I thought about bending the factory connectors, but decided that $12 plus a couple more for shipping was worth the cost vs. risk. It is raining hard here in southern OH and has been for a couple weeks, so riding has been scarce so time is not of the essence. I have been using the R100RT for the errands and short rides when the bug bites.

Tub

Hey Tub Hope you don't mind my asking, but where did you finally get your battery from? I'll need to do the same after the long winters nap. Thanks DBG

why would you put it on the side?
On some years of the R1100xx, R1150xx series the cables aren't long enough to reach the positive terminal of an Odyssey in the upright position. Putting it on its side keeps from having to extend the cables.
BlueRidgeBoy

I installed an Odyseey this past weekend too. I bought the 90 degree brackets and installed the battery upright. I bought the battery and brackets from West Coast Batteries (888-379-2555) but I think cheaper sources are available. The previous owner had installed a thin (about 2 mm) rubber sheet under the old battery (Westco). I liked the idea of dampening the vibration a little so I left it in place. This made the clearance between the negative 90 degree bracket and the fuel tank very small. I was concerned about rubbing a hole in the tank so I cut a short piece of fuel hose then split it and forced it between the tank and post (straddling the post).

The Odyseey really zinged the engine over and solved my ABS issue too.

Happy New Year to all.

Archived