IGNORED

Headlight Cover for R12RT

Captain_Pat

I'm looking for a headlight cover for my 06 RT my research has led me to either a C-B or Aeroflow. They are both about the same price so I'd be interested in hearing any pro-cons or experiences with either.

Thanks in advance.

Aluminum_Butt

IMHO, you should add Xpel to your list (www.xpel.com). It's a different system than the ones you list - a very thick film that adheres directly to the lens. It becomes totally clear once it's dry, and virtually impossible to see.

One advantage is that it's easier to clean. The other is that it looks better - I'm in the camp that thinks the Aeroflow and CB units are pretty ugly.

What Bob B. said!

I have had X-pel protectors on several bikes including the current 12GS and love them! Much better than the add-on looking Velco or bracket attached things!

Pat, I've put an x-pel on both my wife's RTs, an 02 and her new '05. I have heard some discussion about heat build up, but it wasn't a problem since both bikes had HID low beams, which run a lot cooler.

Much easier to take care of though, and actually look like part of the bike rather than an add-on.

I tried to find the xpel film for the RT12 but struck out on google. Do you buy in bulk and make your own or is it available pre-cut?

I went to the www.xpel.com link Mad dawg mentioned and found it there in short order (pre-cut). I've typically used the Aeroflow protector and not had any problems. A friend using a clear sheet (not sure if it was xpel or not) cracked the headlight assembly when a thumbnail sized stone bounced up and made direct contact with it, so I was never sold on that stuff. I suppose there are different mil thicknesses available and that would make a difference. One thing for sure... price out a new headlight assembly and you'll want some kind of protection on it!

The Xpel item sounds good, but how hard is it to install?
Pretty easy. You use a mixture of water and isopropal (sp?) alcohol to wet it all down. Then a hair dryer to form it. It comes with very good instructions. You only get one chance at getting it on straight though. DAMHIK.
Aluminum_Butt
The Xpel item sounds good, but how hard is it to install?
Pretty easy. You use a mixture of water and isopropal (sp?) alcohol to wet it all down. Then a hair dryer to form it. It comes with very good instructions. You only get one chance at getting it on straight though. DAMHIK.
What Ken said. I put it on an 04 RT, and the headlight assembly is fairly complex - curves, bumps, etc. Mostly it was just a matter of patience and time. The hair dryer takes a few minutes to really warm up a section. I'm thinking this would be much easier to do in the summer - winter temps would make it more difficult (though not impossible) to keep it warm while being molded. You will have some cloudy spots for a few days - but within a couple of weeks it will be crystal clear, and pretty much invisible.

Can it be easily replaced after it gets chipped up real good? Or would it be to hard to peel off?
Unlike the units made from plastic (or Lexan or whatever it is), the Xpel doesn't really seem susceptible to being chipped up or scratched. I only had about 10K miles on mine when I sold it, but it looked as good as new. I think you could get it off if needed, but it would require some time and effort.

Anyone from Colorado or Wyoming (land of broken windshields and headlights frown.gif ) have experience with Xpel???

Greg

'cuz inquiring minds want to know

Archived