IGNORED

oouch..it hurts

Juzar

Its Tue (11/27) evening, I leave office around 6:15 pm. Its dark with very light rain.

I am riding my newly acquired f650gs.

Came out of parking lot, left on Alexander drive and then right on Cornwallis towards I-147 going about 35 - 40mph.

And a car suddenly appears from right side trying to take left or u turn.

I brake hard and swerve to left, but still could not avoid the car's front left bumper and next thing I know I am sliding down the asphalt looking at the sky.

Oh shit what just happened, where am I? I try to move, nothing hurts, except for right wrist, I get up and walk towards the car, was about 30-40 feet from impact. Asked the lady driver to call 911 as I think I am hurt in right hand and then sit down by the side of the car for a while and remove my gloves and helmet. Right wrist is badly swollen and hurting like hell. I just sit there and wait for the cops and EMT to arrive. Officer cuts my suit up the sleeves and EMT puts a temporary splint and off I go ER.

Fast forward Friday, I am resting at home post right wrist surgery, trying to think what happened. Could I have avoided the accident? How did my wrist break, there are no rash marks on the gloves, except for one mark on the knuckle protector. Did I hit the right mirror while coming off the bike?

Other than the broken wrist there are only couple of sore areas, right knee and thigh. The gear did its job. Few scratches on the back of the helmet. All the major joints (ankle, knee, shoulder, elbow, thigh) are protected by the gear. Looks like wrist is left vulnerable even with good gloves.

Gear pictures here

This is my first major accident of any kind, bike or car. I do feel lucky to walk away with just a broken wrist, thing could have been worst. Any cumulative wisdom on the recovery and how to handle insurance claims is appreciated. How do you convince your family and friends and go back to riding again?

I am still on strong painkillers, half asleep most time, so please bear with me if I don't respond in timely manner.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Juzar

Hope this finds you in less pain!

I know a lot of people do it with much success but, I just don't ride in the rain unless I miss a weather prediction or am on a road trip. There is just too great a loss of grip margin for evasive actions. The extra perception/reaction time it takes for the modified evasive action eats up roadway and space. The alternative is to risk inadvertently lay it down while evading. I do note that other parts of country have very different weather patterns and riders though.

You might critique your own scanning skills and perception/avoidance of hazard techniques and then use that as fodder for the friends and family arguments. This is also just a good self critical examination to make sure you are doing the right things to keep yourself safe. Another though. Is your bike conspicuous enough? Extra lights? Is the new bike a contributing factor? Just more critical thinking.

As far as recalling what happened, my only real street crash, solo gas spill, was so fast that it actually took several weeks to understand the instant to instant sequence.

For insurance, don't settle on anything or agree on anything until you at least have a chance to think about it awhile.

Juzar,

First of all, I'm glad you are mostly okay. The gear did it's job and you avoided the additional injuries that could have happened. Follow the doctor's orders, take your pain meds and let your body heal. Then comes PT once the docs give the go ahead.

As to the events that evening, it might take a while to grasp all of the factors that led to the collision. I know with my solo get off a couple of years ago, the more I thought about it, the whole thing started before I ever got on the bike that morning, setting my expectations for what the ride was going to be like, not taking into account that there were going to be other conditions on my way to the Cherohala. Something like that might have happened here, with a commuting ride on known roads that you had ridden many times before.

Going forward, Peter gives good advice, take a look at your scanning regimen as well as your readiness to avoid possible issues. Good lane placement to be seen as well as to see, always have an escape plan, etc...

If you want to continue riding, you might want to be prepared to discuss with loved ones exactly what happened, and what you are going to do in the future to keep it from happening again, as well as why it's important to you.

I enjoyed meeting you in Brevard, and hope to meet up with you again at future events, if you do choose to keep riding.

Glenn

P.S. - Looking at your suit, it is a medium gray. You might want to consider something more Hi-Viz when you replace it, especially since you mentioned that this took place in the evening.

SO sorry to hear about the wreck. Good advice from the prior posters.

For now, try not to obsess about it too much. There will be plenty of time to consider the possibilities when you're not in pain, not in the process of healing and have a clear head.

Heal quickly!

Thanks for your wishes and advice. The accident has not (so far) dampened my spirit to ride. The very first thought which came to my mind when I saw my wrecked bike was - which bike do I replace this one with :P

I have been thinking of couple of options (sorry Sharon Shannon, going against your advise not to think too much)

1. Not to commute to work on the bike. You travel daily at the worst traffic time increasing the risk. Do only weekend trips and tours. Attend more bmwst events :clap:

Commuting the same route daily also lets you get your guard down. Due to familiarity of the roads, I guess I was not paying much attention and scanning ahead enough for dangers. I tend to be more careful on unfamiliar roads. A long and tiring day at work does not help either.

2. Commute only in summer and clear days. It gets dark early in winter.

Extra lights and bright gear would definitely help. My summer mesh suit has high-viz panels.

As I heal and recover my thoughts may change as my thinking gets clearer. Reading blogs looks like a couple of months for recovery, esp getting used to plate and screws is sometimes painful.

As I heal and recover my thoughts may change as my thinking gets clearer. Reading blogs looks like a couple of months for recovery, esp getting used to plate and screws is sometimes painful.

You might want to have a conversation with Kathy (Paperbutt) about this, as she knows what you are going through, or at least, something very similar.

Again, wishing you a speedy recovery and to see you again down the road, even though our bikes aren't twinsies any more! :rofl:

Oh shit what just happened, where am I?

There are a number of us who know exactly what that moment is like. It's not a good moment, except for the part where you are still alive :thumbsup: I am SO glad to hear you are going to be OK. Good gear, talented surgeons and a lucky bounce are what it's all about. :)

How did my wrist break, there are no rash marks on the gloves, except for one mark on the knuckle protector. Did I hit the right mirror while coming off the bike?

I bought Held Titan gloves after a violent get off that resulted in a broken wrist. Yeah, they are very expensive, but not nearly as expensive and troublesome as a broken wrist. And besides, now your wrist is compromised. I was told they wouldn't be able to put mine back together the next time, so consider putting serious money into your gloves. Once you try these Titan's on you'll know what I'm talking about.

i-mGQNNqh-M.jpg

Other than the broken wrist there are only couple of sore areas, right knee and thigh. The gear did its job. Few scratches on the back of the helmet. All the major joints (ankle, knee, shoulder, elbow, thigh) are protected by the gear. Looks like wrist is left vulnerable even with good gloves.

I think if you put on a pair of the Titans (or comparable gloves) you will note the deficiencies in those you were wearing. I'm not sure the Titan's will prevent a broken wrist, but I WISH I was wearing them.

Any cumulative wisdom on the recovery and how to handle insurance claims is appreciated.

#1 Was she given a ticket?

#2 Be very careful if you decide to talk to her insurance company.

Those drugs you are taking will cause you to run at the mouth.

Stay off the phone.

Be careful what you say.

The less the better.

WRITE DOWN what happened

ONLY write what you KNOW, not what you think happened.

If you must talk to her insurance company read what you wrote and then stop talking.

Be aware that the insurance person might seem sympathetic but their goal is avoid paying for anything.

They are not there for you. Period. No matter what they say.

I had an attorney because of the circumstances of my get off. You may not need an attorney. That is for you to determine. They take about 33%, but in my case it was money well spent.

How do you convince your family and friends and go back to riding again?

At first, when family members expressed their hope that I not ride again I went along with that thinking. At the time I was in no shape to ride and I was so messed up between pain and pain killers the last thing I wanted was to ride. When the daily pain stopped the urge to ride returned I gently introduced riding back into our conversations. Time is a great healer and the family mended too. They know I love riding. My attitude influenced their attitude.

But again, the passion for riding - for me - over rides the fear that others have for me. I'm not happy to make my family sad or worry, but I'm here to live my life, not theirs.

That being said, the fear of pain is my only issue. I am back to feeling confident that I can mitigate other folks driving skills by being very attentive. The more time that passes the farther I am from remembering the pain. One thing I won't forget is how to better manage the pain.

I am still on strong painkillers, half asleep most time, so please bear with me if I don't respond in timely manner.

The good advice I got included:

DO ALL THE PT (Physical Therapy)

STAY AHEAD OF THE PAIN (Forgo the clear head and take a large enough dose, often enough, to manage the pain. Long term pain can get you - don't let it)

HERE is my gear thread

The glove thread I posted

You sound really good, from the way you are writing. Maybe that's the pills, but I think it's you. The glass is half full. I think you'll do well. All the best to you and please keep us updated on how you are coming along.

I hope she was apologizing to you at the scene. That may not seem like much, but it is part of the healing.

The wrist is vulnerable. I think I will get a pair of those Titans.

But all parts are vulnerable. I don't see anything that could have prevented this. I think Peter mentions scanning skills, or, as we get older, I believe we lose our peripheral vision. That makes it seem like things come from nowhere.

My experience is that only deer come from nowhere, at the side of the road, and then in front of me. But only in Utah.

And my only other experience was a moving telephone pole. I know it moved, as I had my eye directly on it when it got in front of me.

You definitely should keep on riding but you may limit your exposure like you suggest. Just don't become a 'weekend warrior' where your riding skills drop and you don't remember them on the weekend.

dc

Juzar, I'm sorry to hear about this, but glad I'm hearing about it from you instead of your widow. Good advise about scanning, but not much scanning can go on at night with a faceshield compromised by rain. Even being extra careful, there's often just too much glare to see everything everywhere. Although I don't avoid riding in the rain, I do avoid riding at night because my eyes don't adjust quickly enough. But you're much younger than me and these things may not trouble you as much.

I hope the driver has owned up to the accident. That's a damn big headlight on your bike to pretend you stuck up on her.

Heal fast and keep us in the loop on your progress.

-----

Which bone in the wrist? The scaphoid is vunerable and is often broken by a simple trip - we put our hand out to stop ourselves and that load is enough to break the bone.

Andy

Joe Frickin' Friday
The scaphoid is vunerable and is often broken by a simple trip - we put our hand out to stop ourselves and that load is enough to break the bone.

This points to the limitations of our gear. A well-armored glove can mitigate the effects of lateral impacts, but there's not much it can do about the axial loading when you try to instinctively break your fall with your hands.

Now that I've said that, I was just browsing the Wikipedia article about scaphoid fractures, and saw this little tidbit:

In 2006 Knox, a British manufacturer of impact protection for use in extreme sports, patented the SPS (scaphoid protection system). Designed for motorcyclists, SPS offers protection against common scaphoid injuries caused either by a compression fracture or by hyper extension when a glove palm made contact with the road. SPS consists of two low-friction pads positioned on the palm of each glove designed to eliminate the ‘grab’ effect and allowing the hand to slide.[5] In 2012 Knox introduced SPS for mountain biking and cycling applications too. SPS has been adopted by many brands of motorcycle glove.

So whaddyaknow, it looks like the glove can help eliminate axial impact loading - by making it tougher for your palm to get a grip on things, and forcing it to slide out from under you when you try to break your fall.

Looks like Knox's SPS is patented, so you might not see it on competitor's gloves for a while.

I waited to reply, but as Andy stated, some bones break regardless of circumstance from moderate impact.

I've been a hit and run survivor from two 2 wheel incidents, motorcycle and bicycle.

Both caused injury and trauma.

First off, thinking that risk is mitigated by only riding during X conditions is not the best approach, IMO.

If you ride, you need to be able to handle all circumstances that could affect you and weather is going to happen.

While causation and reactions can be different in day/night hot/cold wet/dry conditions, if you're going to ride, be ready for any circumstance.

Second, there are times that nothing will prevent the incident.

No matter what we do, we are vulnerable.

If a driver, either through intention, or lack of perception, creates certain circumstances, we most likely will get clobbered.

You can reduce those risks, but you can't eliminate them.

I read posts on this board from riders who assert they do xyz so they won't have an accident.

That's great, but there isn't a rider out there I can't take out w/my cage if I want to and some drivers will act intentionally for whatever reason.

You wore good gear, it helped.

If you ride, maintain/upgrade.

Family and friends wrt riding?

A non factor.

When and if you decide to ride, it is your decision, period.

Negative input from others will not help and can hinder.

Being willing to listen to their concerns is warranted but not

determinative, IMO.

They probably didn't understand before your crash and most likely

won't after the fact.

I wear a hi-viz vest most of the time.

Also a hi-viz helmet.

I figure 1/3 of folks see me regardless of what I do.

Another 1/3 may notice aux lights, hi-viz, retroreflective.

But no matter what I do, 1/3 will not see me (inattentive, situational blindness etc).

I try to treat all drivers as if they are in the latter group.

Time will help with the pain, fear, uncertainty.

I once had a lady run a red light, t-bone me in my Kharmann Ghia.

I went out the windshield (old school plate, not new safety glass) and using the VW ejector mechanism ended up in the back seat behind the driver seat w/my face looking like Freddy got me.

For a long time I was uncomfortable in a car.

I had difficulty w/the windshield being there.

Time will help, but you have to face your questions head on.

Are they concerns, fears, or phobias?

Are they realistic or not?

Don't do things based on other folks wishes, do what you feel comfortable with.

You don't have to impress anyone or prove anything.

Good luck, hope you recover completely and see you down the road.

Many gloves use this or a similar system. I've got RevIt race gloves with it, Held Steve's that use metal button heads as sliders,etc etc. Easy to find and way more useful than the common hard knuckle inserts - knuckles aren't the most common thing to hit the pavement by a long shot.

What is harder to find is gloves with direct impact protection around that bone. Those Titans and some race gloves have it been the vast majority do not.

I am familiar with the general area of the reported incident. Its NCs Research Triangle Park edge filled with distracted commuters, many in a hurry to get home. Lots of lane crossing opportunities. Add the crappy lighting conditions of early evening this time of year and some dark clothing and reduced viz to the mix and its a recipe for trouble if one drifts or gets distracted. And that can happen to anyone. Once, when I was very tired after a series of very long days, I came within a gnat's hair of driving into a very visible train in a well marked and lit crossing- scared heck out of me and set a warnng flag in my head about extra attention needed when driving tired, something we can't always avoid.

There are so many distracted drivers using phones, etc these days that one couldn't possibly mount too many lights or be too visible on bike- the more of everything the better...

Some injuries heal slowly but they will heal given eough time- be patient and do what's needed.

The guys at Capitol BMW or others will no doubt be happy to set you up with a new bike when you're ready. Too bad about that F650 it really is an excellent commuter bike..

I'm glad you survived and are healing. Since it has not been mentioned, I want to remind you to included the cost of new riding gear in your insurance claim. Although the slit sleeves in your Aerostich might help in cooling next summer...

Hello Juzar:

I am so happy that things did not go worse for you. They have for too many good folks,

Every time that I read an account such as yours, it takes a little joy out of my life. I have been riding more or less continuously for 49 years(since I live in Canada I guess it's only about 24.5 years) and I have never been in a motorcycle accident other than a couple stationary drops. I believe that I am quite a cautious rider - and getting more so but good luck has played a major role in my accident record.

I have had far too many close calls over the years to feel any smugness regarding my riding skills and when I am not riding, I think a lot about the laws of probability and when the luck may finally run out. I no longer anticipate the next ride with the same enthusiasm that I once did. Fortunately, all the anxiety still seams to disappear as soon as I engage the clutch and start rolling. Riding now seems more like an enormous arcade game where I am the target but it is still far more fun than almost anything else I do.

My wife has been trying to get me to quit riding for 42 years and I pray that I will never give her the opportunity to say "I told you so".

Perhaps one day, I will get on the motorcycle and the anxiety won't disappear. I think that will be the time to finally grow up and retire from riding.

Be confident that whatever you decide - it will be right for you. Have a speedy full recovery.

Cars don't suddenly appear. Am I correct to assume you were overtaking a car that was turning left?

Cars don't suddenly appear. Am I correct to assume you were overtaking a car that was turning left?

Funny think about assumptions! From the original description, I assumed he was being overtaken. I am probably incorrect in my assumption.

I feel your pain (well kind of)..a similar situation for me (that's why the K in my signature now says "DOWN") on Oct 29th, a moron pulled a U-Turn in front of me. Speed was 50-55 at that time. Braked enough to scub off some speed. Tarmac was "damp".

Was just about ready to let off the brakes and try to countersteer around him when the front washed and threw me to the ground.

Bike wound up about 100 ft ahead of me. Since I was just smacked down, really didn't slide, just thumped, wound up with a broken clavicle, and concussed/bruised sternum/ribs (that are still a bit painful.)

Looking back at it, was probably the better of the option vs. a collision or glancing blow off the cage.

The driver kept on going, yet another atentative driver chased him down and returned him to the scene where he was cited for an illegal u-turn. His "excuse" is the typical one: "I didn't see you."

The K actually took the slide pretty well..I got the worst of it..

Today was/is the first day I've ridden since then..a bit rusty..but it feels good to be back on two wheels (the R)..the GT is currently getting farkeled :-)

Another possibility is that the car was coming out from a parking lot or side street on Juzar's right.

But then the u-turn part doesn't make sense.

Another possibility is that the car was coming out from a parking lot or side street on Juzar's right.

But then the u-turn part doesn't make sense.

I agree, but here's what Juzar said - "And a car suddenly appears from right side trying to take left or u turn."

The way I read that, the car might have been coming out from his right and making a left, or going the same direction as he was, but to his right, and then decided to make a U-turn.

Glenn

I think what Bob means is, suddenly appeared doesn't mean 'came from nowhere' or did not prior thereto exist.

Suddenly appeared means, to the vision of Juzgar. That could relate to what I mentioned about moving telephone poles, or deer that come from non-existence to existence in front of me. Or what I mentioned about, with age, losing peripheral vision.

It could also relate to what many have said elsewhere, about scanning, both right and left.

And including what I always include in my scan, front and back. What is in front of me? What is behind me? Am I riding in someone's 'blind spot'?

dc

I was going straight on a two lane road (one lane each way). The car came from the right side. There was a company (CREE) parking lot entrance at the right, with a very short right turn lane.

I am thinking, the car came from the parking lot to take a left turn. I vaguely remember the lady saying to others who stopped by that she was waiting for the turn and had let the car in front of me pass but she did not see me at all.

There is no excuse on my part to have not scanned the area and noticed the car making a move. I think it was a mix of conditions..dark, rain with big windshield on the front and a exhausting day at work.

All good advices and critiques. Appreciate all the feedback.

Kathy, Titan looks substantial. Will check them out.

On the subject of gloves, I thought I had winter gloves which had decent protection too (Held Warm and Dry).

After the accident there is not a single mark on the glove, looks like new. Except a small mark on the right knuckle protector. Which makes me think that my wrist did not break my fall. My suit sleeves were tucked in the gloves so gloves would be the only point of contact if I had landed on them.

I think I hit something with my hand while being air bourne which twisted the wrist and broke both Radius and Ulna bones at the joint.

Looks like recovery process is two step forward and one step backwards. After couple of good days, things went a little downhill today, slept most of the day off with painkillers.

One of the most taxing things your body can do it make and mend bone. While the drugs are certainly contributing to your condition do recognize that your body is focusing it's energy on mending. You will be off, or tired, for some time to come. Allow that. Don't force it or fight it with caffeine. Sleep as much as you can over the following months. Take supplements to support bone growth and eat a good diet. While your genes are a huge contributor to your recovery, you can do what you can do to help. The body is just the most amazing thing going.

In my case my Held Steve's showed signs that they slid. The metal grommets on the palm were half their former height. My left pinky and ring fingers impacted something and hurt like heck for nearly a year. They were many shades of blue/pink/green/yellow. One of the rectangular bones in the wrist had moved up into my hand. When they put everything back together it seems to have shortened the ligaments in those fingers and they won't straighten. But I can pull a clutch :)

I was going straight on a two lane road (one lane each way). The car came from the right side. There was a company (CREE) parking lot entrance at the right, with a very short right turn lane.

I am thinking, the car came from the parking lot to take a left turn. I vaguely remember the lady saying to others who stopped by that she was waiting for the turn and had let the car in front of me pass but she did not see me at all.

There is no excuse on my part to have not scanned the area and noticed the car making a move. I think it was a mix of conditions..dark, rain with big windshield on the front and a exhausting day at work.

This is why I wear a hi viz helmet.

We can have aux lights, hi viz jacket etc. but if we are behind a vehicle (not too close)

sometimes all a cage sees is our shoulders/helmet.

I looked at a bunch of photos one day and that jumped out at me.

Even the hi viz trim on one of my pair of gloves is more visible than 10 lights on the front of a bike in some circumstances.

So, maybe, she didn't see you if you were behind a vehicle.

If you weren't then it is inattention/situational blindness.

When I'm behind a vehicle that is going thru congested area on 2 laner I sometimes do the drunken swerve

from one side to the other going far enough to the right so vehicles waiting to pull out from the side

see me, I hope.

Good luck.

Glenn

I think what Bob means is, suddenly appeared doesn't mean 'came from nowhere' or did not prior thereto exist.

Suddenly appeared means, to the vision of Juzgar. That could relate to what I mentioned about moving telephone poles, or deer that come from non-existence to existence in front of me. Or what I mentioned about, with age, losing peripheral vision.

It could also relate to what many have said elsewhere, about scanning, both right and left.

And including what I always include in my scan, front and back. What is in front of me? What is behind me? Am I riding in someone's 'blind spot'?

dc

I absolutely agree that vehicles do not suddenly appear, and that wasn't the part of Bob's statement that I was discussing. Right after that, Bob said "Am I correct to assume you were overtaking a car that was turning left?", and that's when I put forth an alternative, that the other vehicle may not have been traveling with Juzar, but turning left from a parking lot on his right. Turns out, that appears to have been the case.

As to your points about scanning more than left and right in front of us, I agree with everything you say, there are plenty of other areas we have to pay attention to.

Glad to hear you are generally OK Juzar. It sounds like you are keeping a positive attitude about it all and are willing to learn from the experience. Being self critical when replaying the event in your mind will go a long way with regards to avoiding something like it happening again. I commuted 365 days a year, 120 miles a day, rain or shine (minus snow) for over two years.

In that time......I only had two close calls, and both were this time of year, and on the way home after mentally taxing days at work. Both would have been complete non-events if I would have been on the top of my game instead of stuck in "get home" mode. I never ended up hitting the pavement, but it just as easily could have ended that way. Thats when I made the decision that I wasn't going to commute on the bike every day. I still do it occationally, but it is usually a beautiful Friday when I know I am going to be able to sneak out right after lunch. The rest of the time I stick to the cage.

Those two events are pretty well taooed in my brain, and what I could have done to avoid them. I like to think that what I learned will keep it from happening again. Not the evasive manuvers to avoid the potential accident, but more the added situational awareness to what is going on around me and what to look for.

Heal up well.

Got it thanks for the clarification. Right of way violations are a very common factor in collisions. You need to ride with the mindset that every car is a threat. It's up to you to decide how to react to the potential threat. For me it's highly vigilant scanning and situational awareness. Defensive riding is very exhaustive and after about about two hours I am ready for a break.

Safe riding is also very therapeutic, all other thoughts not pertaining to safe riding are erased from your mind.

Same thing happens when you fly aircraft.

• 4 weeks later...

Glad you're recuperating and plan to ride again once you're healed. I had a similar injury to my wrist....two dirt bikes converging like at a "Y" intersection, neither of us could see the the other....his front tire hit the side of my front tire, forcing the handlebars back rapidly; my hand/wrist was forced backed onto my forearm....in a cast for many months. I did NOT get any PT, and that was a mistake. Glad to see you are, it's the smart thing to do and will pay dividends when you're older.

Did you bike have ABS? If so, do you think it helped in your crash? If it didn't have ABS, did your brakes lock?

"When I'm behind a vehicle that is going thru congested area on 2 laner I sometimes do the drunken swerve

from one side to the other going far enough to the right so vehicles waiting to pull out from the side

see me, I hope.

"

Me too. I think it gets their attention....I have occasionally been in the position of being like I'm being "hidden" by the vehicle in front of me.....I try to avoid those situations well in advance by putting more space in front of me, etc.

..... Defensive riding is very exhaustive and after about about two hours I am ready for a break.

Especially in traffic and especially in an unfamilar area. When I tour, I routinely avoid large cities like they are undergoing radioactive decay!

Archived