IGNORED

Saving a Low Side

RT_Ross

Watching this sequence, looks like those who saved it when the rear started to get loose all stood up on the pegs. There is a noticible effort to transfer weight forward to the front. Interested in others experience? Has this worked for you?

Seems like it helps in a few ways, moving weight to the front which still has grip, and unloading the rear so that when it does regain traction it does not toss you off on the high side? I'm a 4 year daily rider but have not been in this situation often thankfully!!

In my experience, when the back end starts moving independently from the front, the worst thing to do is to try to "Catch" it. If you can avoid panic, and try to limit any changes to control inputs, you will most likely just ride it out.

The exception to this is when you have caused the slippage through grossly incorrect control input.....ie, locked rear brake, or way to much throttle input. Often, the best reaction is to only change the offending input very slightly, by gently rolling off the throttle, for instance. Any large input used in an attempt to save it seems to cause a low side to turn into a high side. YMMV.

It looks to me like the bike tossed them up onto the pegs. Hard to believe all those riders were skilled enought to pull it off through a learned skill.

I think the bikes have already been recovered by chopping the throttle before you see the rider up on the pegs. There is a tendency to extend your legs as you feel the back end and pegs move away from your body.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

They're coming off the seat due to the small magnitude, incomplete, high side. Back end is coming back to the rider and the throttle is chopped.

They're coming off the seat due to the small magnitude, incomplete, high side. Back end is coming back to the rider and the throttle is chopped.
+1

I agree. What you’re seeing is a reaction from a pending high-side. Not an input to prevent a low-side.

Thanks all, yes I can see that they are really being bounced off the seat as the rear catches grip again,. A result of reducing throttle, not a deliberate action that helped them save it. But this shows that a moderate reduction in throttle is probably the best medicine, but you should be ready for a kick in the pants when it regains traction.

pedro cerveza

Agree with all of the above. For me personally It's my belief that the bike is much smarter at being a bike than I am at being a rider. I've had a half dozen or so of those "almost" low sides and every time the bike seems to recover by itself before I have a chance to do something really stupid.

Interesting to watch rider after rider do the same thing. It sounded like they were all trying to accelerate through the corner at too fast a rate, chopped the throttle which unloaded the back tire and put the weight on the front. They were almost in the straight which kept them from crashing. That's what it looked like to me.

• 2 weeks later...
russell_bynum

Gotta love Mulholland. Always entertaining (when there isn't an out of control idiot going the wrong way in your lane, that is.)

In all of those cases, the bike saved the crash. The riders had too much throttle, throttle applied too abruptly, and too much lean. The rear spun (you can hear the RPM's shoot up as the rear steps out.) Rider cuts the throttle, bike regains grip after trying to high-side them off.

• 3 weeks later...
Agree with all of the above. For me personally It's my belief that the bike is much smarter at being a bike than I am at being a rider. I've had a half dozen or so of those "almost" low sides and every time the bike seems to recover by itself before I have a chance to do something really stupid.

Is the consensus still that if the back wheel locks, it's best to keep it locked? I am a big fan of ABS brakes, and those where the front and rear are not linked (at least not front TO rear). The couple of times I did lock up the rear on non-ABS street bikes I did remember my ol' MFS training and kept the rear locked...it was not a bad skid in either case, and the bike recovered fine without further input from me.

I really like that idea: the bike is much smarter at being a bike than I am at being a rider. Needs to be chiseled in stone somewhere.... :Cool:

russell_bynum

Is the consensus still that if the back wheel locks, it's best to keep it locked?

That is the MSF's suggestion.

The reason for it is if you lock the back wheel and it slides out sideways and then you suddenly release the brakes, you are setting yourself up for a highside. It's better to leave it locked and let it lowside than to high-side.

However...there's really no reason to do that. You can use handlebar pressure to steer the back end back (more or less) under you and then gradually release pressure so that when it does hook up, it does it gently and not when the back end is 45-degrees out from the front. (A dirt biking friend famously said "Who's that idiot passing me? Oh, that's me.")

You can practice this in a parking lot, or in the dirt, preferably wearing lots of protective gear and riding a bike that isn't going to cost the GDP of Europe to fix if it falls over.

I really like that idea: the bike is much smarter at being a bike than I am at being a rider. Needs to be chiseled in stone somewhere.... :Cool:

Somewhere on here is a video of me nearly high-siding my CBR600RR at the track. I save the high-side (mostly by accident) but come down on the side of the bike. I fought for a few seconds to pull myself back on top of the bike, but it wasn't going to happen, so I bailed. What the video unfortunately doesn't show (because 90%Angel is laughing too hard to keep filming) is that once it spit me off, the damn bike went a hundred yards or so out across the countryside. It eventually ran out of steam and just fell over.

Edit: Here it is:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=130044&an=

"..."Who's that idiot passing me? Oh, that's me.")

.."

I heard that same comment about riding the Dragon!

Thanks for the link!

I once had the experience of thinking I was seeing my own tail lights, in a rental box van on a very twisty part of Hiway 49 at night.

Archived