IGNORED

Electrical system problems on R1200ST

dioscouri

The electrical accessory sockets on my R1200ST (including the power to the BMW Motorrad Navigator II) are not working. The circuit shutdown on a recent ride, when I had both the GPS and an electric vest powered up. I had previously ridden about 500 miles using both accessories without problem.

The circuits briefly re-energized and then failed again. According to the owner's manual, there are no fuses and the electric circuit should re-activate once the ignitition is switched back on.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be?

Since it's been awhile since you used both and it's now colder you probably had the vest on a hotter setting using more power The outlet is only rated for so many amps and you probably went beyond the max. Have the GPS hardwired with a fuse and leave the aux power socket only for your Gerbings or other electric clothing.

Actually, I just installed the GPS using the factory-installed connection a few days ago and, before experiencing the problem, I had ridden about 500 miles with the GPS on and my electric vest on high, without having any problems.

I suppose I will leave it to the dealer to rectify.

Its a bit unlikely but have you got a short circuit somewhere? I had very similar symptoms after having my Autocom and Gps installed. After a few hundred miles, the system would shut down and then try to start up every so often. Eventually tracked it down to the Autocom installation where the installer had left 2 bare wires close to each other under the insulation tape. eek.gif Every so often they would short out. Bit of a long shot as it sounds as if your gear is wired into normal plugs and sockets but might be worth a look given your set up has just been changed.

Paul

FIRST_BEEMER

If you take it to the dealer and they find your work to be the cause of the problem, they will hit you with the diagnosis bill and any other charges they add-on.

I would disconnect the circuit you installed and test the system. If it still has issue`s, then take it in for warranty repairs. If it works ok then you know it`s your handy work. eek.gif

Actually, I just installed the GPS using the factory-installed connection a few days ago and, before experiencing the problem, I had ridden about 500 miles with the GPS on and my electric vest on high, without having any problems.

I suppose I will leave it to the dealer to rectify.

Check the power cord to your vest for loose connections. My CB started shreiking when a screw loosened in the switch of my Widder cord.

Thanks for that suggestion. I just tried it with the GPS alone and the circuit is now energized. It may well be that my vest is the problem.

I have a BMW vest with a low, hi and off setting. I noticed during the ride in which the problem occurred that the vest was generating heat even when the switch was in the off position. Perhaps that is where the problem is arising. The plug that attaches to the vest itself often comes loose as well.

Thanks again for the suggestion!

I've had similar problems with my heated vest (exo) and gps both plugged into the two sockets. In the end I've moved the second socket up to the front of the bike as a spare and fitted a din socket wired straight to the battery with in line fuse, in its place for my vest.

Thanks for that suggestion. I just tried it with the GPS alone and the circuit is now energized. It may well be that my vest is the problem.

I have a BMW vest with a low, hi and off setting. I noticed during the ride in which the problem occurred that the vest was generating heat even when the switch was in the off position. Perhaps that is where the problem is arising. The plug that attaches to the vest itself often comes loose as well.

Thanks again for the suggestion!

One of the first things the dealer told me after my test ride and was educating me on the CANBUS was that most heated vests could potentially overload the accessory socket. I'm pretty sure they said anything drawing over 5 amps might cause problems even though I read in the manual or on the BMW shop manual CD that it was rated for 10A.

I just wired up my Motolights direct to the battery and the use an Autoswitch which monitors the accessory socket. For GPS and tank bag electrification, I used a Touratech TPS 15 fuse block wired direct to the battery, but has an internal relay which monitors the rear accessory socket via a clip on wire. The garmin power wire and powerlet outlet on the tank bag are powered directly from this fuse block which is "outside" of the CANBUS. I don't use my Widder vest too much (usually only below 20F), but it has an infinite variable control. I just added dual function Hyperlites on the rear last night. They were a snap to install. Took less than 20 minutes total. Interstingly enough, they are monitoring on the rear accessory socket and they stayed on for a minute or two after shutting power off, just like the 4-way flasher button does, they powered off when it did.

Archived