IGNORED

Hacking the CANBUS

St0nkingByte

St0nkingByte

So my new R1200RT has this fancy CANBUS network that connects everything on the bike into a network. Sounds cool, wow that BMW must be smart. Well then I start thinking about what people were saying about possibly not being able to do all the maintenance on the bike yourself because you can't signal the throttle dohickeys (yes I'm hi-tech) to go to the calibration position and whatnot. This got me thinking what is this CANBUS, can it be hacked/reverse engineered? So a quick search of the internet reveals CANBUS is far from a BMW thing. It's a standardized small network system for industrial applications. And yes you can connect your PC to it with a relatively inexpensive CANBUS->Serial or CANBUS->USB adapter. So now I'm thinking hey what if you could jack in and at least listen-to/monitor the traffic on the CANBUS? How cool would that be? ;)

Has anyone looked into this? Is it too scary to contemplate?

The whole computer system is Windows CE based. If I was a smart geeky programmer, I'd rewrite the functions in C on UNIX tongue.gif

Thats interesting though, I'd be anxious to sniff that network and see if anything cool shows up.

The whole computer system is Windows CE based.
As I understand it, BMW uses Windows Automotive in their automobiles - but since WinCE is not an RTOS, I seriously doubt it's being used at the very low levels of the canbus system. But I reserve the right to be totally dead wrong....

dopeslap.gif

As I understand it, BMW uses Windows Automotive in their automobiles - but since WinCE is not an RTOS, I seriously doubt it's being used at the very low levels of the canbus system. But I reserve the right to be totally dead wrong....
God I hope you're not...

So THAT is why I have to turn ther key to the 'start' position to turn off the scoot? grin.gif

CE actually meets the requirements of OMAC for an RTOS, although I don't know if anybody has ever done any kind of certification; http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/usewinemb/ce/techno/realtme/default.aspx

You're right though that Windows Automotive and CE itself aren't typically used in the lower-level ECU's. Radio's, Nav systems, hands-free systems, etc are more the focus and currently shipping in cars made by BMW, Volvo, Toyota, Honda, Acura, Fiat (and siblings), Citroen, maybe others I'm forgetting as well as a lot of aftermarket systems. Give the nature of the CAN bus on the R12's I would not expect it uses CE or Windows Automotive, but I don't know definitively one way or the other.

Walter

It would also explain why you can be cruising along having a grand ole time without a care in the world and suddenly the whole thing shuts down. grin.gif

Thad

It would also explain why you can be cruising along having a grand ole time without a care in the world and suddenly the whole thing shuts down. grin.gif

Only if the ECU is programmed to supply that info to the CANBus. In that case, why not use the text RID to display said info?

Archived