IGNORED

EWS !

alandelph

23rd. November 2012 time is 3pm in the UK. Checking over bike and started it and took it up for fuel.... got back to the house and switched off.

Time to get the panniers loaded and ready to leave. Some 15 mins later out to the bike and all light are on the dash, side and tail lights on. N and flashing abs as normal... without a key

The key for the bike is not in the egnition but in my hand, and I have a EWS ! and yellow triange all lite up.

Put the key into the egnition and turned it on with no difference and would not start. Removed the key and went for the spare key... same result. Disconected the battery left for 30 mins, reconnected and same EWS !

Phoned BMW Emergency Service and the bike is going back to the dealership at some point today 24th Nov 2012. No offer of a car or bike and the dealership will not be able to look at it before Monday 26th Nov 2012.

Ever since 2004 BMW Motorrad has had issues with the EWS and here we are some 8 years later and still have this same problem. Why can it not be resolved ????

What are the thoughts of the Forum ???

Morning alandelph

I don't know about the thoughts of the Forum but my personal thoughts are:

EWS is needed to get decent insurance discounts so it is here to stay. Nothing we can do about that.

EWS, the way BMW has it set up on motorcycles is just plain idiotic & lame. There needs to be a way to enter a specific override code either through the radio or dash buttons. Even with a 15-20 minute delay for re-set it at least could be livable.

As it is now an EWS failure leaves the bike as useful as a rock with handlebars.

If they (BMW) can't come up with foolproof EWS system then they need to have a rider coded reset.

As it is now an EWS failure on a GS that is ridden way into the outback on a single track is about impossible to recover as no recovery vehicle can reach it & if the terrain is difficult it is very difficult or about impossible to even tow out. (don't ask me how I know this one)

BMW seems brain dead when it comes to adding common sense to their electronics.

thank you dirtrider for your reply;

the reply I got from BMW UK is as follows:

Dear Mr Pitkeathly

Thank you for your email dated November 24, 2012, regarding the issues that you have encountered with your motorcycle. Please accept my sincere apologies for the reasons which have given you cause to contact us on this occasion.

BMW Motorrad collate failure reports and part orders to determine whether there is a problem with a specific part. I can confirm that I have consulted our records and the issue you detailed has not been outlined as a common fault. Where a recognisable trend of failure is present, we would issue a retroactive technical programme to rectify the fault. I have logged the details of your complaint under case reference number 1-8768034402 for use in our ongoing product auditing programme. I can confirm that there are no outstanding technical campaigns for your motorcycle.

However, our network of BMW Motorrad Approved Dealerships are our customer facing technical representatives and we rely on them for diagnostics and repair. In order for me to further my investigation, please kindly provide the name and location of the BMW Motorrad Approved Dealership that are repairing your bike.

Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad UK and I await your response.

Yours sincerely

BMW UK

Alexandra Rixom

Customer Service Executive

Ellesfield Avenue

Bracknell RG12 8TA

Tel: +44 (0)870 5050 160

Fax: +44 (0)870 5050 205

Mailto: customer.service@bmw.co.uk

URL: www.bmw.co.uk

I must not have a problem then !!!!!!!

First, I am sorry you had to experience this problem. BMW response was inadequate IMO. It would be helpful if you indicated the year and model of your bike. Prior to buying my 2012 RT this past January, I researched all of the potential problems. The EWS was an issue which was caused by a series of faulty parts. My dealer indicated that at the time, they routinely replaced the "antenna" as bikes came in for service. It is my understanding that later models did not suffer from the issue. Hopefully, for my sake that is true. You may want to speak to your dealer about a replacement under warranty if you are past the warranty period.

Hi Anchorbend

sorry but, its a 2012 R1200RT SE and it is at the dealership awaiting for the parts to come in (tomorrow 28/11/2012) and will be delivered back to me when work has been completed. I will get the full story after the bike comes back and will post the results of my enquires with the dealership.

The EWS can come up as a result of a few different faults within the area and could be something other than the ring antenna.

But the bike did come up with a large EWS ! on the screen and with the yellow triange and the N neutral light on and abs flashing and also the service due date was flashing. All without a key being near the bike.

regards

Alan

The usual cause of the EWS alert is failure of the coil in the ring that surrounds the key- its an rfid system that detects the chip in each key which has to be individually authorized in the bike computer, which is why additional keys are only available through BMW.

Many going on trips and especially to remote areas carry a spare EWS ring to plug in. Its a bit over $30 US and in my view a necessary spare on any modern BMW. Also needed is a way to deal with a failed fpc (a bypass cable or the knowledge to make a bypass from a dead fpc is minimal), given the failure rate of those things. In fairness, BMW has taken steps to improve both and had greatly reduced EWS failures on newer models and somewhat reduced a few problems with the fpc and other fuel system problems. The fuel system is by far the most poorly engineered one on the bike and we're just seeing the beginnings of what will turn out to be corrective recalls on that.

Well the fault was the electrics on the ignition barrel, that caused a "time out" thus showing the EWS! warning due to the key not being present in the ignition barrel. So bike was repaired yesterday and Mondial refused to return the bike to me. There reason was that the bike was not recovered to my closest BMW Motorrad dealer. I bought my bike from Coopers BMW Motorrad at Sunderland 105 miles from me. the closest BMW Motorrad dealer is 98 miles away and at Dalkieth. The dealer at Coopers has now after some time, got it sorted out today @ 16:30 hours on 29/11/2012 and the bike will have to be delivered tomorrow. Only got an apology from BMW Emergency Service for not providing me with alternative transport. so 7 days without a thing from BMW.

I will be firing in a email to BMW Customer Service to see what drivel they come up with this time.

Thank you all for you input.

Afternoon alandelph

Glad they got it up & going again. It sounds like maybe a bad antenna ring or cold solder joint on the antenna ring. I hope your bike is just an isolated issue like a single bad part or something happened at installation.

Be a real bad deal if we are about to go through another batch of bad antenna rings like a few years ago.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Given the low cost, $38, of a replacment and the criticality of the component, is this something that can be R&R'd in the field easily? If so, can someone post up instructions?

I suspect there is something in the BMW DVD but, that is an easy way to turn a two paragraph description into a War And Peace Vol 1 novel.

Afternoon Peter

No not easy to REPLACE in the field but there is a work around.

With some finagling you can unplug the old antenna ring then just leave it in place. Then just plug the new antenna ring in & tape your spare key inside the antenna ring. That will allow the (new) antenna ring to read the key & send the proper signal to the bikes computer & allow starting the engine.

That allows the bike to be used until you can get to a place where you can tear it apart & properly replace the antenna ring.

The original EWS ring is installed with security screws which is why first time replacement is a nuisance. Most shops apparently use regular screws to put the replacement back so further changes would be easier.

But as DR noted, the "nearby plug in and tape job" is the typical workaround on the road. Some rental guys have been known to tape a spare EWS to the rental, all set to be plugged in if needed...

Hers is the response from BMW Customer Support

Dear Mr Pitkealthy

Thank you for your further email dated November 29, 2012. Please accept my response in the absence of my colleague Ms Alexandra Rixom. I am very sorry to learn that your motorcycle recently required recovering back to Cooper Sunderland following a breakdown. I can certainly appreciate your concern.

I have today contacted Cooper Sunderland in request for a courtesy bike to be supplied to you. After liaising with the staff in the Service Department, I have been informed that your motorcycle is back in your possession. It is also to my understanding that due to logistical reasons, it was not possible to supply you with temporary transport. Please note, BMW UK, nor our network of approved dealerships are under no obligation to keep you mobile. Any courtesy motorcycles or vehicles provided are at the discretion and availability of the dealership.

I am very sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused you. I have duly noted your concerns under the case reference number 1-8768034402, which will be used as part of our ongoing internal auditing programme. If I can be of further assistance again in the future, please feel free to contact me.

Yours sincerely

BMW UK

Claire Farthing

Customer Service Executive

Ellesfield Avenue

Bracknell RG12 8TA

Tel: +44 (0)870 5050 160

Fax: +44 (0)870 5050 205

Mailto: customer.services@bmw.co.uk

URL: www.bmw.co.uk

and my reply to that is as follows:

"What ever lies ahead, BMW is right behind you." is the wording on the New Bike Warranty booklet.

I take the wording as it is printed, pages 7 and 8.

your comments please

Alan

And BMW UK replied with another copout

Dear Mr Pitkealthy

Thank you for your further email dated December 6, 2012. I am very sorry to learn that you remain disappointed with BMW UK’s position on this matter.

I acknowledge that you have taken an extract from the BMW Warranty Handbook and would like further assistance from BMW regarding this. I would like to confirm that BMW UK is under no obligation to assist a customer with keeping mobile in the incident that warranty work is required. Having said this, I have duly noted your comments, which will be utilised as part of our ongoing internal development programme.

I am once again sorry that this matter has given you further cause to contact us. Please do not hesitate to contact me again, should you require it in the future.

Yours sincerely

BMW UK

Claire Farthing

My thoughts?

Sux to have the problem.

But, I don't see that BMW has an obligation to provide you with transportation.

If I had a bike w/EWS I'd carry the spare/work around just like I would do an R&R on Hll Sensor on R 1100's and possibly carry the spare.

I do carry a spare oil glass on the GT, a common relay, fuses, simple tools etc.

If it breaks and I can't get it going, on me, out of warranty

same as my car.

Good luck.

Archived