IGNORED

K Canisterectomy

SKYGZR

Ok, did the ectomy on the R, considering it on the K12GT. Have noticed there is an electrical connection at the purge valve. Would removing this cause any issues with the 2.4 motronic? (The R has the 2.2/non "learnable" unit), this machine has the learnable.

I'd like to get rid of this thing as it takes up functional/useable space under the seat....

The system is not fitted to non-US market bikes, so as long as you avoid intake leaks, there should be no problems in removing it.

Andy

Ok, did the ectomy on the R, considering it on the K12GT. Have noticed there is an electrical connection at the purge valve. Would removing this cause any issues with the 2.4 motronic? (The R has the 2.2/non "learnable" unit), this machine has the learnable.

I'd like to get rid of this thing as it takes up functional/useable space under the seat....

I have a K1200RS since new, sold on the Canadian market in 2002 - it did NOT have any fuel-canister from the factory. I have worked on 4 similar bikes (K1200RS and K1200GT from 2003-2005) and to the best of my knowledge, I am 95% sure that only the USA market had the fuel-canister and the Pulse-valve (above fuel-rail).

On our Canadian K1200RS, BMW has neither installed the Canister (under the seat) - neither the pulse-valve (near the fuel rail).

1) The electrical connector of the pulse-valve is similar to the 4 injectors connectors (but no yellow wire) and the connector is NOT plugged, just tied to the fuel rail, hanging between 2 injectors.

2) Throttle-bodies vacuum hoses are tied together with 2 "Y" connector (at cylinder 2 and 3). It is a closed loop set of vacuum hoses for all 4 throttle-bodies.

3) Since there is no fuel-canister under the seat, the 2 vent hoses coming out under the fuel tank are both routed toward the ground (on right side of the bike between swing-arm and the frame).

All this is perfectly legal in Canada as this is the way the bike was certified.

On the US Spec, there is one hose from the injector rail to the purge valve, then that hose continues to the cannister. So I'm leaning towards unplugging that hose from the cannister side, and capping the purge valve there.

Should the electrical connector also be disconnected, or just left hooked up? I take it that the valve is always "closed", and only "open" when needed, is this correct?

Archived