IGNORED

6 Speed Tranny Drain

SKYGZR

Ok, what's the special tool required to remove the drain plug? This is the kind that doesn't use a gasket. There is no "hex" on this plug to insert an allen/hex key..it's round (smooth) inside where a hex would normally go.

(It doesn't appear to be "rounded out" as if someone stripped it.)

Although this is on an '03 K, the R's have the same tranny drain plug. (Checked the fiche).

So how does one get this plug out?

I think you are looking in the wrong area. The drain plug is on the right side directly below the fill plug. The fill plug is generally an allen head and the drain a hex bolt head.

I do seem to recall seeing a plug like you are describing, but it definately not the transmission drain plug.

Ok, what's the special tool required to remove the drain plug? ........

Although this is on an '03 K, .......

So how does one get this plug out?

Either a 12 or 14mm allen (sorry, don't remember).

Seems to me this needs to be move/asked over on the K section (besides, they could use the activity).

I think you are looking in the wrong area. The drain plug is on the right side directly below the fill plug. The fill plug is generally an allen head and the drain a hex bolt head.

Not on a 6 speed, on the 5 speed, Yes

I do seem to recall seeing a plug like you are describing, but it definately not the transmission drain plug.

According to the Clymers, it is..I'll take pic's later

Not on a 6 speed, on the 5 speed, Yes

According to the Clymers, it is..I'll take pic's later

Clymer has been known to be wrong before...

Andy

Afternoon SKYGZR

The thing to keep in mind here is the Boxer 6 speed trans has "two" drain plugs. (don't compare your K bike to a Boxer bike)

On the Boxer the one (drain plug) used for most service draining is the small lower one on the SIDE (that is one most here are referring to) .

The one I think you are comparing to is the (large) hidden magnetic drain plug on the very bottom of the Boxer trans.

Nobody uses that one as there really isn't any access without removing the exhaust system. The only time that usually gets removed is during trans overhaul to clean the magnet.

The one I think you are comparing to is the (large) hidden magnetic drain plug on the very bottom of the Boxer trans

I have never found an official spec as to the torque for that drain. I just picked one out of thin air (50 Nm), must have been OK as the plug hasn't fallen out yet in the last 47,000 miles or so.

Stan

Afternoon Stan

On things like that unlisted lower plug I just use the old stand by torque value of:

Tight enough that it won't come loose or fall out & not so tight as to strip it. (never fails)

There's always the R1100S exception. Not sure applicable to any other Oilhead.

For that one best bet is the BMW special tool, as 55 nm (40 ft lb) is the torque required. It's a 14 mm hex and if the PO's is rounded, he's fairly screwed.

This plug is M26, costs $30 and comes out with difficulty. The special tool runs out of clearance before the plug gets loose and I use really big channellocks to get it the rest of the way.

Afternoon Kent

That is the same plug, except on the 1150RT you can't access it so there is another drain plug on the trans side just below the fill plug.

Afternoon Stan

On things like that unlisted lower plug I just use the old stand by torque value of:

Tight enough that it won't come loose or fall out & not so tight as to strip it. (never fails)

DR you are one smart man! I've had two K's, a pile of good air heads, and the R1150RT. Now a G650GS. As you get older your good bike get taller and heavier? Good advice old timer!

Ok, moving this over from the Oilhead forum (see there to catch up)

I am unable to determine how/what tool to use to extract the drain plug. Here's the fiche pic first.

K1200_TRANNY1.jpg

It shows this as being the drain:

(17) 11 13 2 330 145 SCREW PLUG, MAGNETIC - M26X1,5

The Clymer also indicates the same:

K1200_TRANINST.jpg

Now, here's pic's of what I'm up against, first shows "side" view to confirm no plug there (except the fill.)

K1200_TRANNY2.jpg

This one is looking under from about the same area, once again, no plug

K1200_TRANNY5.jpg

Here's the plug as shown in the fiche and the Clyners

K1200_TRANNY3.jpg

And a close up...as one can clearly see, there is no "hex" to be able to use an allen or hex key to withdraw the plug

K1200_TRANNY4.jpg

As you can clearly see, it's round, and it looks like it's supposed to be that way, not a hex that was rounded out.

So..any ideas?? Looks like it might be time for some heat and a cold chisel.

Should be a 14MM hex driver.

In the pic, there is a hexagon there. If you have an image manipulation program, increase the brightness or gamma correction to lighten it up and you'll see the hexagon.

A couple more things - it shouldn't be super tight, so no heat should be necessary, find a good funnel that will fit into the area, and lay out lots of newspaper or put something underneath that will catch and confine the oil if something goes amiss.

I need to have someone sit on the bike when I remove that or bike moves too much.

PITA

I'll need to look at mine, seem to remember a regular bit and a

long lever but it has been 2 years due to low mileage.

Makes a mess no matter what you do, paper/foil/funnel etc.

Dennis Andress

I believe it's a 14mm Allen. You can get a cheap one at just about any auto parts store.

When the centerstand is down, the tranny insists draining oil across it. The cleanist way I found to do this was to put the bike on the sidestand while taking the drain plug out. Then sit on the bike and hold it upright for a few minutes until it is completely drained.

Ok, well my largest metric allen must not be large enough (tried it, yet didn't fit). I kind of noticed those bits of flats when looking at the pic's as I uploaded them, yet was unsure.

Why BMW didn't put the proper key in the tool kit is a mystery.

I usually use old cookie sheets for drip/catch pans with a container sitting in it..works really well (<

• 2 weeks later...

Got the original plug out (used a 5/8" allen, ground down to fit). It will not be going back in!!! Instead..one of these will:

Dimple Plug , as well as for the engine and differential. They all have SOCKET style "nuts" on the outside..WAY more "user friendly".

P.S., also got them for the RS <

Archived