IGNORED

Arai Signet GT

BakersRT

The Arai as described in the title is what I currently wear. Seems I've got the oval head. I tried a Shoei once and after 30 minutes, my forehead hurt. That being said, what other options do I have for the Signet shaped head? Tried a search and din't have any luck. TIA

Jerry Johnston

I have an Arai and a Shoei and like them both, however I think the Arai is overpriced considering how hard is is to change shields compared to Shoei.

You might try some different Shoei's. I used to have an Arai, and liked it. The latest I found comfort with is an X-11 Shoei, though. The local Cycle Gear people seem to know helmets pretty well, and they have a good exchange policy. The top-of-the-line HJC11 is pretty decent, and recently several people have liked Skorpions....

all the best,

Mike

The Arai as described in the title is what I currently wear. Seems I've got the oval head. I tried a Shoei once and after 30 minutes, my forehead hurt. That being said, what other options do I have for the Signet shaped head? Tried a search and din't have any luck. TIA

I'm in the same position..I have a very long oval head and I also wear the Arai Signet GT. I've been told by many that there is no other helmet made by anyone that has the same same degree of long oveal as the Arai Signet GT..I don't think Arai makes the Signet GT anymore but I"m told they have a newer model that uses the same long oval mold...I've decided I'll just have to spend the bucks because I've had absolutely no luck with any other helmet.

I don't think Arai makes the Signet GT anymore but I"m told they have a newer model that uses the same long oval mold...I've decided I'll just have to spend the bucks because I've had absolutely no luck with any other helmet.

Arai makes the Signet GTR (thank goodness), which is the same as the old GT but with an easily removable liner. The Signet was made for me; I can't wear any other helmet for more than an hour.

I have an Arai and a Shoei and like them both, however I think the Arai is overpriced considering how hard is is to change shields compared to Shoei.

LOL the shield isn't all that bad to change once you figure it out. Heck I figured it out after cussing at it for two years. Arai is proud of that shield system (though I can't figure out why) I ended up downloading the video from them on how to change it. The trick is that quick down & up movement the guy makes when he installs the shield. He just forgets to mention it in the video and tell you it's the key to a correct sheild instalation.

The Arai Signet was the only helmet I could wear for years. I bought a used Shoei X-11 and it fits very well but it's not near as "plush" as the Arai. For years I've wanted a flip face helmet but could never find one that fit properly. This summer I bought an HJC Symax and love it. Fits great and the flip face is great for grabbing a drink or bite while re-fueling. It's also very handy for taking photos. I'm not helmet expert by any means, just a guy with an Arai shaped head that has tried just about every other option available and the above two were the only ones that fit my head.

BakersRT - You and I shared the exact same experience with regard to helmet size/shape. My Schuberth Concept helmet is a flip-up which also fits my head fine, and I recently purchased a Scorpion Exo-700. I think the Scorpion is an excellent value for money and really worth taking a look at - works with our hed shape as well.

Arai is replacing the Signet with a new model called the Profile. The new Profile uses the same adsys face shields as the other Arai models, has more adjustable pads/chushions inside, designed for easy speaker installation, and has improved rear vent controls. I just got one for Christmas and its a decent improvement over my 4 year old Signet.

Yup, I've got a Signet GT head, too. I've tried on numerous other helmets, including the flip and non-flip Schuberths, a Shoei someone recommended for oval heads (sorry, I don't recall the model), the Symax, the Scorpion. All of them had that "pressure on the forehead, this is going to give me a headache" feeling. I then tried on a Signet GTR. "Ahh, this is nice! Feels comfy, just like my Signet". I think Arai has me as a customer for life. Nothing else fits.

i own an arai. i paid $500 for it. 2 months ago motorcyclist magazine ran a test on helmets. hate to break it to you boys but the helmet which came out on top was zir-zrp-1 the cost?$100. guess who came in second ? the $90 helmet which can be gotten at pep boys.i needlessly spent $400 to much. you can go to the magazines website and check out the article. more money does not translate into better product.and it just might fit your head

Archived