IGNORED

Valve shim question

w2ge

Today I did a valve check and throttle body sync (with a friend), all valve clearances were within range; the only one that was "close" to being out of range was one intake valve at the very limit of .13 (tight).13 to .23 is the normal range for intake.

(12K miles on the bike, BTW)

After buttoning everything up, I realized I should have looked at/measured the shim on that rocker arm so I could order a shim that would get me closer to center of the range the next time I do a valve check. (which won't be for awhile!) Without knowing the size shim that is there, is there anyway to know what to get? That is, do the shims vary from bike to bike from the factory or is it a standard size? Me thinks it must vary from bike to bike... Sheez....

(No shims have ever been changed on this bike as it has been checked at least twice and always been within range.)

To get back at that rocker arm, I have to take off the tupperware as I also have head protectors, etc.. I REALLY don't feel like doing all of that again... ;-/ 2010 R1200RT

Morning Phil

I really can't help you as that shim could be about anything as there is no nominal (as built) size.

I might be able to help you on the Tupperware removal. (maybe)

I have an allen wrench I cut down & re-bent to fit that rear head guard bolt on the R/H side. (the others are more easily accessible).

To get to the bottom bolt I remove the front lower tupperware bolts, then loosen the lower rear bolts, then pull the lower out just enough to get a 1/4 drive long extension with a torx bit on it up behind the tupperware. This is on the hexhead so I "think" it should also work on the camhead but you will have to "carefully" determine that.

Thanks DR, Yeah.. I may be able to get at it without complete removal.. I can flex it back... and just reach it, mine are held in with regular allen heads and I have a short right bend that I can get in there at it.

Sheez..... One of those, Why didn't I think to check it at the time when I was there!*_))&^*)^*

Good thing about our motors is the valve clearances move very little. Bad thing is as you stated - gotta take the old shim out so you then know which new one to buy.

Mine has gone through 7 service events and all are still within specs and I no longer worry about buying several size shims.

Bill

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Aaron

That was a nasty rumor. There is an empty box advertised as a "kit" but it just has empty pockets in it. The shims, apparently, are all individual and around $7 I think.

Archived