IGNORED

Newbie Questions R1200RT

The Hueg

What do people use to fill out the large empty real estate below the license plate on the rear fender? Seems like a lot of unused space yet there are holes as if something is to go there. European issue?

Also, is there a way to keep the front exhaust pipes looking shiny and chrome-looking or is the discoloration just part of the character of the RT?

Welcome

What do people use to fill out the large empty real estate below the license plate on the rear fender?

This fits nicely ;)

i-W8bRKcr-L.jpg

Afternoon TheHueg

Those holes in the rear fender below the tail light are for a pull down fender extension. Those were used on the European 1200RT's but should be available from your dealer for around $25.00 or so.

That rear fender extension works pretty good in the rain to keep the rear tire from spitting mud & water on the back of the top case & passenger.

As far as what to put back there?-- Some put a BMW roundel in one of the holes , or an auxiliary tail/brake light can be installed or, just leave it as is.

On your exhaust pipes--If they are chrome you can lightly polish them but the bluish color will just come right back. If you polish the chrome too much you will wear it thin.

If the pipes are just the natural stainless steel you can use any number of stainless polishes or any number of blue/brown removers but again that ugly brown color will just come right back.

1200rainguard.jpg

I second this one:

Welcome

What do people use to fill out the large empty real estate below the license plate on the rear fender?

This fits nicely ;)

i-W8bRKcr-L.jpg

Also, is there a way to keep the front exhaust pipes looking shiny and chrome-looking or is the discoloration just part of the character of the RT?

AUTOSOL metal polish is the only thing that works for me to clear out the mud brown color completely. Pretty amazing stuff.

$11 for a tube at Amazon.com.

The "World's Toughest Riders" plate looks great there. But I'd be kinda fibbing. Can I get one that says "World's Softest Rider - Zinc Butt Association"?

pete

Archived