IGNORED

R1200RT windscreen

AZKomet

Any 1200RT riders have any thoughts and/or experiences with Cee Baileys or Aeroflow windscreens? I have looked at them both but am looking for input from riders who have them. And I am looking at new tires soon as well. Any thoughts on tires? I took a 700 mile trip this past week and although I was fine the Mrs. wants a little more protection. Thanks in advance!

I have the Cee Bailey for my R12RT and can recommend it. The flapping is substantially reduced from the original equipment and the airflow is greatly improved.

However, if I were to do it all again, I might consider one the these "lip" things that Co just told me about:

www.laminarlip.com/

Any 1200RT riders have any thoughts and/or experiences with Cee Baileys or Aeroflow windscreens? I have looked at them both but am looking for input from riders who have them. And I am looking at new tires soon as well. Any thoughts on tires? I took a 700 mile trip this past week and although I was fine the Mrs. wants a little more protection. Thanks in advance!

I just put the CB 3" higher and 3" wider on this morning. I'm 6' tall. For me it's a big improvement. Even with the windshield all the way down the wind is about what it was before with it up. I don't see any high distortion areas through mine. I've seen pictures and was concerned, but mine looks the same in all areas. Also, it doesn't vibrate at idle like the original.

Also, it doesn't vibrate at idle like the original.
Assuming it uses the same mounting points as the stock windshield, I'm curious how they managed to reduce or eliminate the vibration. At idle, my stock windshield shakes like white trash at a tent meeting.

I have the Cee B 2" taller and 3" wider, and Metz Z6 tires.

I'm 6' tall, 34" inseam. The CB is definitely either a bit thicker or stiffer than the stock shield, as the flapping thing is almost eliminated. I could easily have gone with a shield only 1" taller, as I rarely need to put the shield all the way up, and when I do I'm looking through the shield entirely. The shape of the shield seems to send the air much higher over the rider than the stock shield at the same height/position. On a cruise speed road trip, I think you lose 1-2 mpg with the higher & wider shield, but the comfort makes it worth the shortfall, even for a miser like me!

In short, I love the CeeB, but have no knowledge of the Aeroflow.

Also, I really like the Z6 handling, and they're quiet, but I have no other tire experience except the awful Dunlop 220s that came on the bike. One thing about the Z6s to be wary of, is that if you do a lot of slab time on them, the center of the rear tire can wear down to the cord without any wear markers showing up first. I saw this on another member's RT last fall.

Enjoy your bike!

Happy New Year to all!

Also, it doesn't vibrate at idle like the original.
Assuming it uses the same mounting points as the stock windshield, I'm curious how they managed to reduce or eliminate the vibration. At idle, my stock windshield shakes like white trash at a tent meeting.

TowJam,

It's more a matter of my new engine not vibrating as much as my old one than any improvements they may have made to the windscreen itself.

I have an aeroflow and it provides great [protection. But if u have to look thru it you get a lot of funhouse effect distortion. The Cee bailys is a little less distorted. I dont like the laminar lips because they're mounted with velcro and can come unattached above 80mph. I had a laminar lip on a VFR and it did come unattached. Wunderlich also has a windscreen but I have no experience with it. I have a cee bailys on my GS and an aeroflow on my RT and like both

For the same reason I had Cee Baily make me a (23.5")w/s that is a bit shorter as I found their "normal" one had to much protection for me. It does a great job for me and my better half. I am 6'3" with a 34" inseam, I ride with the seat in either the high or low position. The folks at Cee Baily were great to work with.

I have the Aeroflow 31" Tall Shield, and couldn't be happier.. Best screen I've ridden behind in 30+ years of riding.. I'm 6'4" and the screen shape gives me a great still air pocket, without having to run the shield full up..

Craig

Archived