IGNORED

CTEK3300US Charger.. Proper Setting?

w2ge

2010 R1200RT stock factory battery... which setting is for me? (thing is I basically ride all year round and battery is fine,but which one if I have to let it sit?...) Pic from Manual:

Thanks in advance!

ctek.jpg

The factory battery is an AGM.

Looking at the choices I am very surprised the same mode is used for Wet Cell and Gell Cell as they are very different regarding charge voltage.

I am hesitant to say this but if I were going to use this charger I would use the the motorcyle mode to maintain the battery.

It probably does not make a hill of beans in reality as your alternator has no idea which battery you have in the bike.

Good luck

Terry

As far as conserving battery life, you're better off at the low end of power and voltage re what range the battery will accept. Higher voltage has the potential for increasing gassing eventually and many sealed batteries get killed by failure of their catalyst to adequately reduce water loss.

Save the higher current for when you need to shorten the time.

The Odyssey does indeed like higher charge voltages but being a bit low won't cost you anything except a small bit of crank punch that you won't notice. I used to maintain PC680s used in track cars on a 10A charger originally meant for full size lead/calcium plate batteries. Worked very well but that would be way too much voltage and current for a gel or wet acid battery of same size...

Evening Phil

Either motorcycle Mode 14.4V/0.8A or Mode 14.4V/3.3A is safe. The Multi US 3300 is a smart charger that watches battery voltage so supplies a constant current until desired battery voltage is reached then switches to constant voltage to prevent overcharge possibility. (pretty safe way to charge a battery)

The motorcycle Mode 14.4V/0.8A setting is pretty close to the battery tender Jr output (.75A) & the Mode 14.4V/3.3A setting of 3.3A is well under anything your bike's alternator puts out.

Personally I would just use the motorcycle Mode 14.4V/0.8A setting unless your bike has a lot of parasitic draw while sitting (like an alarm system or other electronics that have a small constant current need)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys..

I've had it for two years (and it's direct to the battery) but I finally decided (after all this time!) I really wasn't sure what was the best.

No parasitic draw at all (other than what BMW has) I never leave my Z660 on it and no alarm.. So, I'll go with the motorcycle mode.

Hi Phil, sorry for the late post - just picked it up.

I have a 2006 RT and use a CTEK ZAFIR 90 charger whenever the bike is garaged - BMW alarm fitted for what it's worth.

I've alwasy used the 'car' setting, which is the same as on your instructions, and connect direct via the pigtail.

So far I have had no charging issues at all, and am still on the original battery (6 years old last month)!!

I did have 'an issue' last Christmas where I managd to flatten the battery after working on the bike, but put it down to

operator error, rather than machine fault.

Archived