IGNORED

Ride with

Mark Mayo

I am fortunate to have taken many rides in the last three years with highly skilled riders that would be considered excellent by most people. These riders have hundreds of thousands of motorcycle miles in experience. I have also been on some rides with people with a more limited riding skill set. The first group always gives me new insights, new techniques and challenges me to ride a bit better that before (maybe a lot better). I find I have a better riding experience with less uncertainty and more confidence. They know how to ride under varying conditions and react instantly. As a result, as I follow them I have been able to watch what they do from behind and absorb it. On challenging rides where confidence and skill is most important, I find that I am able to perform better with them than on the same ride by myself. They do not encourage anyone to go faster than their skills will allow, but I use all of my ability more often and leave less in reserve. My bike, a 2004 R1150RT with 52,000 miles, has substantial ability to take turns, handle road snakes, etc. - better than my skills allow, but I am using it better with each trip. Experienced riders also know which roads will be the most fun and they take all of them. When I ride with less skilled riders I try to share any techniques I have learned, but find I do not grow in skill as quickly. Rarely, I have had a ride with more skilled people without regard for their lives or any reasonable expectation of returning home; I make this a one time event if possible.

If you get a chance to ride with riders of greater skill and experience, jump at the chance if they are also safe and sane. Expect your skills to improve markedly.

...If you get a chance to ride with riders of greater skill and experience, jump at the chance if they are also safe and sane. Expect your skills to improve markedly.

Safe and sane is the critical point, and is relative. Unfortunately, I've participated in several group rides where the pace was too fast for some members, with disastrous results. Public roads are not a race track. No matter how good the rider in front of you, if you're not comfortable with the pace, back off.

Archived