IGNORED

Spark Plugs

kfrancois

I have a '03 1150RT. There seems to be confusion about which spark plugs to use. My dealer installed Bosch R6 plugs and I had a lot of carbon build-up. We switched to NGK BKR7EKC, which is the listing for the primary plug for a dual spark engine and results are much better. The dealer is still saying the Bosch R6 is the correct plug. The NGK has a more extended tip than the Bosch.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have a '03 1150RT. There seems to be confusion about which spark plugs to use. My dealer installed Bosch R6 plugs and I had a lot of carbon build-up. We switched to NGK BKR7EKC, which is the listing for the primary plug for a dual spark engine and results are much better. The dealer is still saying the Bosch R6 is the correct plug. The NGK has a more extended tip than the Bosch.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The Bosch is what is recommended by the dealer but regular readers realize that and $1.50 will get me a cup of coffee. I have a 95 RS but I think you're still a single spark engine in 03, right? Anyway, I tried the Autolite 3923 (number from memory so check it before you buy) and didn't like the idle. I happened to be in a non-dealer motorcycle shop and we looked up the NGK spark plug for my bike and found a different number but a footnote led me to the NGK BKR7EKC that you mention. I bought them and liked them. I recently wanted to do a little tuning before a 1000 mile weekend trip so I took out the NGKs and wow, spark plugs don't last long on a bike, do they. So I put in a practically new set of R6's and drove to work for a day (75 miles). Still poor idle. I put in a set of the autolites. Didn't like them either. Couldn't find a new set of NGKs until I stopped by the same dealer and searched their shelves and found a pair that weren't in the computer inventory. Put them in and it runs like a new one. I highly recommend them.

Also, for those complaining about vibrating hadlebars, I think there is a good chance their mechanic just hasn't mastered the throttle sync process. After 5k mile or so I notice a little more vibration in the handlebars and can always get rid of it with the twinmax. You have to be willing to rev it up to 4k to 5k rpms to set it. Don't hold it there while you twist the adjustment collars, you'll melt your pipes. Take it up, not the needle setting, make a small adjustment and then rev up again to see where it is. You should be able to hone in on it in 4 or 5 adjustments at most.

Cheers,

Jerry

Archived