IGNORED

2010 RT combination switch failure

yaron

HI

i normaly dont write in the forum, mainly reading, but...

my 2010 RT combination switch had failed for the second time.

the first time was changed by the dealer, a year ago still in warranty, no questions asked.

a month ago, after the warranty was gone in last july, the dealer said that i have to pay for the combination switch and they will ask BMW for a "good will".

what do you think?

it seems like a misfortune or a problem in the product?

what will happen the next time it will fail?

the forums are full with complaints (inclluding this one).

thank you for answering,

Yaron

Do some more investigating into the warranty terms. My understanding is that there is a two year warranty on all BMW parts, which includes labor if the failed part was installed by a BMW dealer. So the switch should be covered even if the overall bike warranty has expired.

Larry

I had the cruise control "resume" feature on the left switch fail as well as the starter button on the right.

The dealer replaced the starter button with one from the showroom floor as it was an emergency. My bike doesn't have heated seats and the switch had the button for them. When he ordered the correct switch, he said the part number for the original had been superseded by a new one. It appears there are new switches, presumably to improve reliability.

• 3 weeks later...
Are the switches for our RT's the same as the ones used on the K1600's?

If anyone here knows offhand.

Hope not.. those K1600 switches have been failing.. (friend is on his THIRD!)

I am on my third left hand switch set.

Windscreen, Cruise Control, and Turn Signal Push-to-Cancel.

All replaced under warranty but fer cryin' out loud, I've never had a bike with switch problems in the past 40 years.

Tom

I agree with Tom. I've had my left hand switch replaced three times and I have my 4th switch on order. What I had fail on my bike were windshield, cruise, and horn. Now my cruise is bad again.

I have a 2010 within 1,000 miles of warrant end. I'm banking on the 2 year for parts.

tsp

My Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com

Archived