IGNORED

Add Sirius satellite radio to R1100RT?

Bob Allred

My '98 R1100RT is not equipped with an FM radio or speakers. For long distance riding I have used my i-pod with ear bud speakers for music and audio books, but now would like to add/integrate a Sirius satellite radio (want NPR, don't give a hoot about Howard Stern!).

Question is...all Sirius radios (I like the low profile, large top control buttons of the "Sirius One" model) seem to need some sort of separate FM "tuner/stereo" to which the signal from the radio is transmitted, so that sound can be amplified, and volume controlled before sending it to earphones or helmet speakers.

Has anyone experimented with satellite radio installations? Would an Autocom unit provide amplification/volume control for helmet speakers?

Other suggestions welcomed.

Serius Starmates look like crap, but have headphone out and volume control. I use custom earplug speakers and usually run the volume between 20-50%. It's my favorite RT accessory!

-RickP.

I got a Sirius Radio from Sams that is small has volume controls on the side and with headphone jack. You can listen with out it transmitting to a radio. I plan on getting it on my bike and moving it between cars.

Don

There are FM receivers for MP3 players - is your model one of them? A trip to the closest Best Buy or Circuit City may help.

...I thought Howard Stern WAS on NPR.

Bob,

Let me talk you out of the Sirrus and get the Roady XM, it is an inexpensive unit and works well with the Autocom. Highly recommend in-ear speakers and if you go with Autocom you will need an extension lead (part 26, I think) to accommodate. Autocom was running a 50% sale on "old stock." I connected a power kit to a small map case tank bag that houses the XM and radar detector. PM me if you want pictures. Good luck!

Note the difference between the Starmate, and the Starmate Replay, which is small and has tons of features. FM can be turned off, and audio output handled just like the Roady. It also has a menu function for volume, or a separate remote for that. Still waiting on the custom installation kit, though, with the extra mounting bracket that can be attached to RAM or other connection units.

Note the difference between the Starmate, and the Starmate Replay, which is small and has tons of features. FM can be turned off, and audio output handled just like the Roady. It also has a menu function for volume, or a separate remote for that. Still waiting on the custom installation kit, though, with the extra mounting bracket that can be attached to RAM or other connection units.

I have a Starmate replay on my bike 1200rt(do not have a radio). I am using the Hoon Harware mount for the Roady. It mounts up perfectly to the ST Replay. The STarmate Replay is nice and slim.

I think I paid about 70 dollars for the unit. I use it with my Autocom system and it works great. Search my prior post I have some pictures of the unit mounted

Bob,

Let me talk you out of the Sirrus and get the Roady XM, it is an inexpensive unit and works well with the Autocom. Highly recommend in-ear speakers and if you go with Autocom you will need an extension lead (part 26, I think) to accommodate. Autocom was running a 50% sale on "old stock." I connected a power kit to a small map case tank bag that houses the XM and radar detector. PM me if you want pictures. Good luck!

Wow! XM has NPR now? It didn't the last time I had looked.

I have a Sirius Starmate that I bought at a Radio Shack in Sault Mi., last July.-U.S. subscription-Within 2 months the power jack came loose and the magnet would barly stick.I had to tape it down. Sirius said there is nothing they can do.I went to Radio Shack,the person there said they'll call the head office ( I think she called the janitor at Penny's next door)they said the Starmate was a “dicontinued item”.Back in Sault Ontario our Radio Shacks are now The Source. They are now featuring the Starmate,so what the heck,I strolled into the store with my intermitent working Starmate and asked for a new one!

Not a chance. They could give a loudmouth $500M and I can't a receiver?-get a Garmin 2730 with XM .

Thanks to all who have responded. From what I have seen, only Sirius has NPR. That rules out XM for me. Too bad, I think XM radios have better features....but, I'm buying for the programing, not the features, so...Sirius it is for me.

I'll look further into the Starmate Replay, and confirm there is an earphone outlet, and volume control function. Thanks to those who pointed me this way. I'll also check same on the Sirius One model, which would be nice on the R1100RT, as it has a very small forward facing read-out, and top mounted control buttons, which are large enough, and far enough apart to be easily manipulated with gloved hands! (I know, I wore the gloves into the store to try it out for sure!)

For now I'm busy installing an Autocom helmet speaker and mike set into my Nolan flip up helmet. Then it will be time to install an Autocom, and then the Sirius radio.

Fun stuff, it makes me look forward to coming spring & summer riding season while waiting out the Utah winter!

Thanks again, all. I'll post again when I've learned something worth passing on.

I have a Starmate replay on my bike 1200rt(do not have a radio). I am using the Hoon Harware mount for the Roady. It mounts up perfectly to the ST Replay. The STarmate Replay is nice and slim.

I've got a starmate replay, and just want to confirm that I can use the below mount?

http://www.hoonhardware.com/RoadyHolder/roadyholder.htm

Also, is there any problem running the power through a cigarette lighter plug connected directly, through a fuse, to the battery?

I have a 2 yr old Sirius reciever that has a headphone plug. This receiver has enough power to drive earbuds and a volume control in one of the menu settings. It did not have enough power to drive helmet speakers without a little amplifier gizmo I got at Radio Shack for $15.

BTW I just got a pair of Etymotic E6 ear buds that block a lot of ambient noise plus sound great. Haven't tried them on the bike yet but they worked well for a couple of hours running a power sander.

I've got a starmate replay, and just want to confirm that I can use the below mount?

http://www.hoonhardware.com/RoadyHolder/roadyholder.htm

Also, is there any problem running the power through a cigarette lighter plug connected directly, through a fuse, to the battery?

Thats the one. I ordered it from www.cyclegadget.com I got the left side OFFSET mount. Keep the unit out of the view of the mirror..

I used the plug that came with as well. I just added a relay so that it was switched. I just used the acc plug on the can bus to activate the relay.

Bob,

Welcome to the board and it is always good to see more "local" people get connected here in Utah. Glad to see that you have joined this group. I don't have any input, but would be curious to see which way you go and how you hook it all up.

Let me know when you have it all done and we can maybe meet up at R&R.

Good luck and I hope it all comes together for you.

Thanks to all who have responded. From what I have seen, only Sirius has NPR. That rules out XM for me. Too bad, I think XM radios have better features....but, I'm buying for the programing, not the features, so...Sirius it is for me

Hey Bob - I have been running an XM Roady2 through an Autocom to helmet speakers on my RT for the past year and have been listening to NPR every day. I have a great programming lineup - lots of music, all MLB baseball games, BBC, CNN, FOX, NPR - it's all there - check out the XM web site for programming:

http://www.xmradio.com/

Archived