IGNORED

RT Miles

threeflys

Hello All,

I have a quick queation. I have the chance to buy a used '02 with only 2900 miles and am wondering if it really matters about the low milage. The bike is basically just like it rolled out of the showroom with a topcase being the only addition. They are asking $10,500 for it. My question is I'm pretty sure I can get a more accessorized one with a few more mile (20 or 30k) for less money, I'm just wondering if the low miles are worth the extra money. Also, any potential damage from a bike sitting for 3 almost 4 years with 2900 miles?

Thanks,

Chris

A few thoughts on the '02:

1. The battery will likely need replacing.

2. Check the tires for sidewall cracks and general condition - they may need replacing too.

3. The fuel injectors may be gummed up and need cleaning.

4. If there is fuel in the tank, drain it and replace with fresh gas.

5. Change ALL of the fluids - brakes, clutch, oil, tranny, and rear end.

I am sure there are some other points to consider and others will chime in, but I hope this will get you started.

Low miles should not be the only consideration. Bikes sitting for a long time can deteriorate. Do you know anything about the history of the bike? Can you get the previous owner's name and chat about the bike? When accessories would you want that are not on this bike?

Good luck.

Bob

Personal opinion, at this stage of the game if I had my heart set on the R1150RT, I'd only consider the '04 (US model numbering). There are several 'challenges' with the '02, the '03 corrected a lot of them, but the '04 added twin-spark which is a worthwhile improvement.

What kind problems did the '02s and '03s have besides the surging issue, which I hear is not on every bike. As far as accesories go, I don't have anything specific in mind just have seen bikes listed with lights,signal minders, gps, etc...

I didn't think about the fluids and what not just sitting, it's at a BMW dealer (Portland Motorcycles). I was thinking of offering $9k. I think an '04 might be out of my price range from what I can tell, maybe not. If I can't get an '04, would I be just as well getting an R1100RT? I thought the '02s changed a lot more than just the engine?

Chris

The '02s seem to be a bit more reported with spline failure issues, but that may be just because they are the oldest. The early '02s also were know for much more touchy brakes. Not a problem for some (it wasn't for us on our early '02) a show stopper (no pun intended!) for others.

The '03s are seem to be much more reliable than the '02s, but offer no real advantage beyond that.

The '04s when to the twin-spark motor which is much more drivable. No (or much less) surge issues, better power delivery, better mileage, less emissions...

ISFA R1100RT vs. R1150RT, there is a whole laundry list of differences. Some of which are important to some people ( e.g. - linked or unlinked brakes or 17" vs, 18" rear wheel) others less so, (e.g. - 5-speed vs. 6-speed or headlight configuration).

Personal opinion $10,500 (or even $9K) seems high for an '02. But whatever the market will bear I guess...

I had the same dilema this summer. I was comparing two 02RTs, one with 2000mi and one with 3800. I chose the higher mileage bike, simply because it hadn't spent a much time just sitting. Conventional wisdom is that you should replace tires after 3-4 years regardless of mileage. The tires on this bike are already 5 years old and should be replaced. $10,500 is high for this bike. I dont' think low mileage is a selling point, certainly not one you should pay a premium for. If you are shopping for a used bike, don't let high mileage scare you away. A well maintained BMW motorcycle with lots of miles will be as reliable as a new one,just out-of-warranty.

BTW, before I bought my bike (from a private seller) I did all my shopping on Ebay, an easy way to peg the value of this bike as a function of geographic location, mileage, etc.

The RT is a fantastic bike. If you buy one, you will certainly enjoy it.

peterh

Low miles should not be the only consideration. Bikes sitting for a long time can deteriorate. Do you know anything about the history of the bike? Can you get the previous owner's name and chat about the bike? When accessories would you want that are not on this bike?

One more consideration. Bikes that have been "off-line" for much of their operating life may have been so for a reason (mechanical problems or a crash). Probably not the problem here, but you certainly want a good accounting of the bike's history.

Example: Anyone want a "hot deal" on an almost new 2005 R1200RT with less than 3K miles? Looks like new, seems to run ok, seller is in New Orleans. ooo.gif Think about how many salt-water flood damaged, "totalled" bikes will be coming out of the Southeast.

What is high miles or average miles? I prefer a bike that has riden the bugs and recalls out. At least 10k to 15k adult ridden miles a year keeps the bike lubed!

As far as price goes, you can get a '04 with accessories and 15k to 30k miles for $10,000. or less. And probably the remainder of the factlory or extended warranty. Unless you want the lack of model year improvements and pay $2500. more than book, why an '02?

I think I've decided to wait to find an '04 that fits the bill. I've pretty much got the significant other talked into an '04 for around 10k or so, I'll keep my fingers crossed. I think any RT will be an improvment over my '88 K100RS!

Chris

Not so much of an improvement but hopefully an additional scoot for your garage? If you have any reservations concerning age or surge wait for an '04. Yes it will cost you more but excellent deals are out there. I didn't notice your home location but this time of year as a whole bikes sell really well. It sucks making a payment, with insurance, when the roads are iced over. As a bonus you could probably pick a WaveRunner or some other PWC and possibly get a 2 for 1 deal while you're at it. Please let us know what bike you decide on, etc.

Archived