IGNORED

Battery Question

Tub

Yesterday, I went out to take the 03 RT for a ride to the Barbershop. It has been sitting for about two months. When I turned the key, no dash lights, completely dead. I have yet to try to charge the battery and was wondering if there is something more sinister I need to be considering?

Assuming I need a new battery, I have read about the Odyssey battery on this site. Sounds like that is the one of the recommended ways to go. What is the recommended place to purchase an Odessey and is there any other watch outs I should be looking for?

Tub

Tub,

Money is tight around here right now so I would try charging it first. If reliability is a bigger priority for you, then I agree with the Odyssey recommendation. No more often than you've been riding it a trickle charger might just make everything better. You can buy a cheap one at Harbor Freight or most motorcycle stores for around $10 and many of us here think they are as good as the expensive battery tenders. Cheers, Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks. I have (had) four Battery Tenders, 2 6v for the old bikes, and 2 12v for the two RT's. Unfortunately, the one on the newer RT must have crapped out on me, as I found it w/o any lights and buzzing loudly. Just ordered a new one to replace this one. I am hoping it is a battery and not some other power drain that I am not aware.

Tub

My 2004Rt had the same problems..Replaced the anemic Gel cell with the P680, the P680 is great and here is a quote from the web site """This is a true no maintenance battery. It will not spill acid and it has great vibration resistance. This battery can be mounted in any position except upside down. It does not need to be trickle charging over the winter... it maintains up to 50% of charge for over 2 years. This is the only motorcycle battery to offer you a two year free replacement warranty. This battery comes fully charged and is ready to install."

My pc680 just arrived today. I'll install it this weekend.

Can I still use my old battery tender on it? Fortunately, I get to ride often so I rarely use the tender, but just in case.

yes use the old tender with it..you will norice that recharge time is faster, in fact when you return from a ride or between uses. the battery will need little or no charge.

ShovelStrokeEd

in fact when you return from a ride or between uses. the battery will need little or no charge.

Unless something is fracked with the charging system on the bike that statement will apply all the time. I don't use any form of maintenance charger, just depend on the charging system of the bike to keep things going and yes, that includes accessories like lights and heated clothing.

My bikes sometimes sit for weeks, or even months at a time without running or any form of charger. I expect them to start right up. When they stop doing so, I just put in another battery.

I do live just a few miles north of you so you are aware of our mild climate. I figure 3 years on a battery and it's pretty well toast anyway. Just part of the pleasure of owning 6 bikes and being able to ride only one at a time.

Archived