IGNORED

Oil Level Sensor and Headlamp Fault Indicator with HID Conversion

mjmorrismd

Friends, I need your help. I have a 2009 K1300GT with 12,800 miles. First issue is the OBC oil level check wont work. When I go to check the oil level on the OBC it tries to determine oil level but cant and spikes a fault showing a problem. I took the bike into a reputable mechanic who put a new oil level sensor in the bike. Unfortunately that didn’t work. Any ideas on what might be preventing the OBC from successfully showing an oil level check? Note: The bike doesnt eat oil at all...plenty of fresh oil from the 12,000 checkup. The mechanic thought the source of the problem might be the motherboard computer. I'm at wits end weighing options for a potentially expensive repair vs. the fact the bike doesn’t eat oil at all.

Second issue, the original owner had an HID conversion done. Ever since I got the bike the OBC spikes a headlamp out indicator. Ok, but sometimes the headlamp is working just fine. Other times the headlamp isnt working at all and the headlamp fault isn’t on. It comes and goes? Any thoughts from someone who's been down this road?

Other than these two issues and a spent fuel strip (errgggg) the bike is flawless and runs like a scolded dog.

Your thoughts please,

Matthew

That sounds like an odd fault with the oil level sender. Do you know what exact fault code is being thrown? In any event if you aren't using any oil then you can just check the level with the dipstick once in a while and that should be fine. In fact you should be checking it manually from time anyway as an oil level indicator really should be used as a back-up to actual checks, not the other way around.

Re: the headlamp, it's kind of funny as some K-bike owners report plugging in an aftermarket HID upgrade and experiencing the problem you describe and others do not seem to experience it. One supposition is that the ZFE module looks for a specific current draw (something around 55 watts, expecting an incandescent lamp) and if the actual power being drawn is too far off it will trigger a headlamp out lamp. You may have a typical 35-watt HID and that lower current consumption may be triggering the fault. There are a couple of things you could do such as add a resistor to increase current draw (which would be pretty lame but would probably work) or install a 55-watt HID. Or perhaps there is some other issue involved, but for some reason the ZFE seems to not like certain HID upgrades. As to why the headlight is intermittent, can't really say there. Could be an installation problem or a flaky HID power supply or...

Smiller, thanks, I think you are right about the HID issue. The problem with just accepting the oil level sensor issue is it scares me what happens when there really is a problem. I do a manual check of the oil every now and then...good practice regardless...but what if there is a severe problem in the meantime.

Does anyone know of any official BMW bulletins on this or something similar?

M

The problem with just accepting the oil level sensor issue ...

Ooops, I didn't mean don't try to resolve the problem, just that there's no need to sweat it in the interim.

Maybe someone else can come up with something but I don't think I've ever seen a report of this kind of problem on any of the K-bike boards. If it is setting a fault code that might provide a clue. Do you know exactly which code it is?

Archived