IGNORED

Laminar Lip Install

Dean123

I have a new 2012 RT. Love it. I want to try a Laminar Lip product on the factory shield. I have had excellent experience with this product on other bikes in the past.

Doe anyone know for sure whether the OEM shield for the 2012 is slightly different prior years? The fit on the Laminar Lip seems slightly off. Thanks.

Laminar Lip lists different Lips for the '05-'09 and '10 on RTs. I haven't tried one on my '11 RT but had great results on a ST1300 and FJR. Please post your findings when you get one installed, Dean.

pete

dirtdreamer50

FWIW, I had a laminar lip laying around that I took off an 03 RT.

With the stock windshield, even at the highest setting on my 12, I was getting buffeting on the helmet and bad neck pains, in short order. I put the 03 lip on and went for a ride the next day. Made all the difference that I have come to expect from Leo's products. The 03 lip looks odd on the more square w/s but it works, no buffeting or neck pains, now. For me, it allowed for a greater range of wind adjustments, too...

Doing a long weekend ride this weekend and if it works for me, I will most likely get the new design lip for it.

"The 03 lip looks odd on the more square w/s..." Heck, it looks odd on any windshield, but it works! It's a pain to clean between the Lip and shield (and amazing how much crud collects there), but it works! Read the installation instructions carefully and clean-clean-clean the spots where the attachment dots go. LamLip provides 3M Posilock (?) stickers which work very well but you only get one shot at using each one. BTW, I found the Lip works best when set with its top edge about 1" directly above the windshield's top edge. YRMV.

pete

When I installed a LL on my GT I set a fan up on sawhorses, even with nose/windshield,

taped tell tales to top of OEM screen and moved LL around with fan on to see how changing position of lip affected the tell tales.

Just a bit of position change made a marked diff on air direction/flow rate in my case.

This way I could choose just where to put the posilocks and not guess.

YMMV

dirtdreamer50
Very impressive. Thanks. I hope to get the LL installed this weekend.

We'll be expecting pics and a complete review. I bet you'll really like what it does for your riding comfort. tomp dd50

dirtdreamer50

The 03 LL worked great on the '12. I think that it allows for some buffeting on the shoulders, but the height adjustment range is greatly improved.

FWIW, I got to use the heated grips and seat today, too. They really change the comfort level when riding in cool weather.

Had to get home to watch m/c racing on Speed Channel, or would have ridden a lot longer. tomp dd50

Archived