IGNORED

R1200GS Adventure - 2012

RTinNC

Couple of questions related to my 2012 R1200GSA I picked up today

Oil type? Dealer says 10w-40 Think that is what I have heard here before?

Gear box and final drive typs? Dealer says 75w90?

I plan on using dino as I change it a lot!

Does he Camhead use the same oil filter as the hexhead?

Engine oil: here BMW has dealers use 15W-50 on all boxers except older Airheads. Best grade for big displacement twins and plenty of brands to pick from.

Gearbox oil: BMW here uses Castrol MTX 80W. And it's expensive junk. A good 75W-90 like your dealer said is the best choice.

Oil filter: yes, it's the same part.

Oh, I forgot one thing.

Don't bother with very frequent oil changes. BMW says every 10000km or year whatever comes first. Stick to that and you'll be absolutely fine and have money for some extra fuel! :grin:

Oh, I forgot one thing.

Don't bother with very frequent oil changes. BMW says every 10000km or year whatever comes first. Stick to that and you'll be absolutely fine and have money for some extra fuel! :grin:

Thanks for the info! Yeah ... I am pretty OCD about my bikes. Am hoping to stretch oil changes to 2000-3000 miles :D I just sold my pristine '02 GS with 34,000 miles on it and when I checked my detailed records over the 10 years I had changed oil about 24 times! Needles to day he got a cream-puff.

Afternoon RTinNC

The correct ENGINE oil to use is in your riders manual. I would imaging 10w40 one of the top choices. I doubt there is any 15w50 listed but possibly a 10w50 listing. Most dealers in my area are using 10w40 across the board for the camhead engines. That should be good for 14°f up to as hot as it gets in your area.

On the trans & final drive camhead BMW specs out 75w90 for both & that needs to be a gl5 gear oil. (you probably won't find a conventional gear oil that is 75w90 so about your only option here is synthetic).

The trans can use about anything as the gears are pretty hardy & most bearings are sealed so don't run in the gear oil.

For the final drive BMW suggests Castrol SAF-XO (very expensive synthetic gear oil at the BMW dealer). The SAF-XO is being replaced with Castrol Syntrax Longlife but that doesn't seem to be available in the U.S. yet in 75w90 non limited slip. Personally I use Land Rover LRN 7591 Gear Oil as it is the same as SAF-XO & usually a lot cheaper.

Afternoon RTinNC

The correct ENGINE oil to use is in your riders manual. I would imaging 10w40 one of the top choices. I doubt there is any 15w50 listed but possibly a 10w50 listing. Most dealers in my area are using 10w40 across the board for the camhead engines. That should be good for 14°f up to as hot as it gets in your area.

On the trans & final drive camhead BMW specs out 75w90 for both & that needs to be a gl5 gear oil. (you probably won't find a conventional gear oil that is 75w90 so about your only option here is synthetic).

The trans can use about anything as the gears are pretty hardy & most bearings are sealed so don't run in the gear oil.

For the final drive BMW suggests Castrol SAF-XO (very expensive synthetic gear oil at the BMW dealer). The SAF-XO is being replaced with Castrol Syntrax Longlife but that doesn't seem to be available in the U.S. yet in 75w90 non limited slip. Personally I use Land Rover LRN 7591 Gear Oil as it is the same as SAF-XO & usually a lot cheaper.

Thanks! Yes the 10w40 dino is easy to find in BMW and I believe the 75w90 GL5 can be found in non-synthetic. Will look for the final drive lube as I had heard the Land Rover stuff was the same.

Thanks!!

Archived