IGNORED

Getting Ready for the Dreaded Spline Lube

MichiganBob

Sounds like an X rated movie. Well winter is here. I should be able to get this done on my 02-RT in three months if I stay on it. Three questions please.

1. Anyone know what needs to be replaced (e.g., bolts, nuts, washers) in this procedure? I remember that there were nuts and bolts on my older beemers /5 that had to be discarded once they were torqued.

2. What lube do I use for the splines? What loctite for swingarm and rear end?

3. I have looked for a thread that goes through the procedure but did not find it in the archives. Anyone know of one?

Thanks. And of course, a happy, healthy and safe new year to all of you.

Bob

Sounds like an X rated movie. Well winter is here. I should be able to get this done on my 02-RT in three months if I stay on it. Three questions please.

If it's your first, I would figure 8 hours to tear it apart. A few to clean things up and lube the 4 sets of splines. And another 4 or 5 to put it all back together. Add a few more for documenting how much wear, photos of the splines after cleaning, and viewing the DVD. And another hour to brag on this site that you did it! Priceless!!!!!

1. Anyone know what needs to be replaced (e.g., bolts, nuts, washers) in this procedure? I remember that there were nuts and bolts on my older beemers /5 that had to be discarded once they were torqued.

The 6 bolts that mount the clutch assembly on the flywheel are one time use. If you are just lubing and not replacing the clutch then you don't even need them, just don't take the clutch apart. You should also replace the slave cylinder gasket. A collection of various sized cable ties (black) is needed too.

It's almost a given that the final drive pivot bearings will either already be bad or get damaged during disassembly.

I had the following on hand when I started my spline lube on my '02 RT: clutch disc, diaphragm spring, 6 bolts, Honda moly, slave cylinder, gasket for slave cylinder, set of swingarm pivot bearings, set of final drive pivot bearings, and lots of black cable ties.

2. What lube do I use for the splines? What loctite for swingarm and rear end?

Honda Moly 60 is a favorite, has a good reputation, and is easy to come by. I intend to use a medium strength locktite on the pivot bearing pins and locknuts.

3. I have looked for a thread that goes through the procedure but did not find it in the archives. Anyone know of one?

There is a video you can get. I got mine for free from a friend. If you send me a PM with your address, I'll pass it on to you. Same price.

Stan

1. You can reuse everything if you are just doing a spline lube and not a clutch replacement. You will need to make or buy some guide pins to align the transmission on reassembly.

2. I have used the Honda Moly 60. It is readily available at any Honda dealer. Based on the three spline lubes I have helped with, one small tube is good for 40-50 splines. You do not have to seperate the swing arm/rear end from the transmission. Thanks to Steve Foote we did not even remove the rear wheel this last time.

3. The best guide I have used is the DVD produced by Ted Lucas. My is on loan at the momment but you may be able to borrow one or see if he is still selling them at: tedanddenise@comcast.net . If you just want to lube the splines you do not need to remove the transmission completely. Just slide the transmission back 3-4 inches on the guide pins. This will give you enough room to inspect, clean and lube the splines without having to realign the clutch.

If you're going that deep into the rear end, you might as well measure the clutch plates to see how much they've worn, i.e. if it's within 10K miles of clutch replacement time and should be replaced. Someone also mentioned that the "Drive shaft Thrust bearing" usually last about as long as the clutch, as does the swing arm bearings. Again, since you're going to be mucking around that area, it wouldn't hurt to check those items as well.

Then again, I'm known for "overspec'ing", "overbuilding", and over-maintaining everything. dopeslap.gif

russell_bynum
Someone also mentioned that the "Drive shaft Thrust bearing" usually last about as long as the clutch

?

I don't think I'm familiar with that part. Where is it/what does it do?

Thanks for your quick replies. I only have 22k on this puppy so I can't imagine it will need more than a spline lube. Of course I will check and measure everything while I'm in there. It might seem early to lube splines but I am going to do a long Alaska trek in the Spring and thought it would make sense to get this done. The bike is running great, shifts fine, so I am hopeful that everything will check out.

It might seem early to lube splines but I am going to do a long Alaska trek in the Spring and thought it would make sense to get this done. The bike is running great, shifts fine, so I am hopeful that everything will check out.

I won't try to talk you out of it (even though you can bet your rear that I wouldn't do it), I will encourage you to get some significant miles on the bike afterward before taking off on a big trip. There is always a chance of causing a problem when you go this deep into the bike and you don't want to find that out on the lower slopes of Denali. Have fun, jerry

Archived