IGNORED

Cruise Control Issue 2005 R1200RT

jredford

On my recent trip to Utah my cruise control stopped working. Came home and did the diagnostic and talked to the service manager at the local BMW dealership in Houston.

What I have been able to determine is the clutch sensor, front and rear brake sensors all function.

This leaves the throttle sensor in the control unit - a micro switch in the Cable junction box Part # 61317664051. I have been unable to locate any drawing showing this part and how it fits the assembly.

Any thoughts? Am I on the right track?

Evening Jred

I don't know if there is such a thing. When it comes to the BMW hexhead cruise control it is assumed the guy doing the work already knows the basics of switch location & replacement.

First, verify that the switch is or isn't working. If not working remove fuel tank then snap the cover off of bowden box. The switch should be there is plain view once the box cover is removed. (you can see the switch in the above picture with the 2 screws)

Have you tested with this test sequence?

Basically tests all switches. You may have done this already if so, sorry for duplicating the advice.

1. With the ignition switch OFF, switch on the cruise control.

2. Press and hold the SET button to the SET position and switch on the Ignition switch (SET LIGHT comes on)

3. Release the SET button (LIGHT GOES OFF), move to RESET (Resume) position (LIGHT)

4. Release the button (LIGHT OFF)

4a Switch OFF the cruise control switch (LIGHT ON)

5. Switch the cruise control switch back on (LIGHT OFF)

6. Close throttle. (LIGHT), release throttle. (LIGHT OFF)

7. Pull clutch lever (LIGHT), release clutch lever (LIGHT OFF)

8. Pull front brake lever (LIGHT), release lever (LIGHT OFF)

9. Push foot brake pedal (LIGHT ON), hold for 5 seconds (LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF), release foot brake pedal (LIGHT ON)

10. Rotate rear wheel (LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF/ON)

11. Switch off ignition.

Thanks for the diag test sequence. Have tried it many times. Some of it works some of it doesn't. The brakes for instance work fine and the micro switch works fine but the set light does not come on?

At this point I have taken it to the dealer for diagnostic work. Will report back.

Dealer worked on it for 2 hours couldnt figure it out. Says his diagnostics do not show a fault. Suggesting I replace the on off switch for starters...

...very frustrating.

Not sure if this will help but I had a similar issue. Picked up an '07 RT this summer and cruise did not work on the test ride. Dealer fixed it before delivery and it turned out to be spider webs inside the switch. They just blew it out with compressed air and contact cleaner and a few thousand miles later it still works great. No diagnostics other than taking it apart and visually examining the suspect piece. You may want to try that out, good luck! :)

Morning Mike

You need to start your own new thread on your problem so Jred's thread here doesn't get hijacked & move to someone else's problem.

Start a new thread "on your problem" & we will answer your questions.

Morning Mike

You need to start your own new thread on your problem so Jred's thread here doesn't get hijacked & move to someone else's problem.

Start a new thread "on your problem" & we will answer your questions.

Hi DR, I split Mike's question off into its own thread.

Andy

Soooo...when I went back to the dealer yesterday and asked them to run throughout the diagnostic tree for me in detail I find out that they did not check the actual cruise control unit itself.

Seems a bit elementary that one would do that either first or second on the list but what do I know? Next step is to,swap out the unit with a buddy. Thoughts?

I will report back.

• 8 years later...
On 9/27/2012 at 6:21 PM, dirtrider said:

bowdenbox.jpg

Great drawing. The dealer diagnosed this switch being bad. The switch itself is easy to replace. However, getting to it is the problem. The gas tank has to be removed. The dealer quoted me three hours.

2 hours ago, wmbwylie said:

Great drawing. The dealer diagnosed this switch being bad. The switch itself is easy to replace. However, getting to it is the problem. The gas tank has to be removed. The dealer quoted me three hours.

Afternoon  wmbwylie

Are you 100% sure the switch has failed?  If the throttle cables are not adjusted correctly (upper cable too tight)  the switch will stay & test open.

They said the cables were adjusted property. I don't know enough to say otherwise though I can hear the switch clicking.  They said it is stuck closed. What if I just disconnected the wires coming out of it to replicate it being open.

?

2 minutes ago, wmbwylie said:

They said the cables were adjusted property. I don't know enough to say otherwise though I can hear the switch clicking.  They said it is stuck closed. What if I just disconnected the wires coming out of it to replicate it being open.

?

Evening wmbwylie

Those micro switches are pretty hearty so if you hear it clicking that usually means it's working. I can't say that I have ever hard one that is stuck closed click.

But to answer your question: you can try disconnecting it, about all you will loose is the throttle roll-off cruise cancel & most riders don't use that function anyhow. 

Hey dirtrider, 

Thanks for the support. I'll give it a try.  I assume the switch is normally open, but that would be good to know to support the theory.