IGNORED

K1200GT

gordiet

So.....does anyone have any thoughts on the K1200GT? Problems that are known? FD, drive lines? and anything else?

I'm looking at a 2004 with 12000 miles and in beautiful shape......and it's red! Thanks

GT

Oh no, not two red ones in a week!

:thumbsup:

Brake lines after a long time, like any, and rear seal, main things, but I've seen them into six figures w/out issues.

I only have 76,000+ on my '03 I got as newin '05 because health has curtailed past couple of years to hardly any or I'd be over 100k I think.

I like 'em,have you ridden one?

Long wheel base, weight make you work in twisties but doable.

Or, sit back and just cruise thru, great on sweepers, solo or two up, plenty of power, smooth, comfortable for me.

840W allows plenty of farkle, 2 heated jackets and glove, 2 seta aux lights, XM/Autocom etc.

Flying brick ended in '05 with about 250 (I think) silver ones mostly in Canada (I think), some late '04's in US didn't have cruise or electric screen or some variations.

Pulls like a locomotive in any gear.

Some accessories harder to find but they pop up on classifieds mostly on K forums. (bar/riser/back, peg lowers) if you seek those.

Windscreen depends on height, like anything, individual results vary.

Mine is Orient Blue but I love dem red ones...

This thing only has 9000 miles on it! It looks new.

That's good... and bad, only in that such low miles on a 2004 means it sat a lot. That won't necessarily result in problems but give it a good once-over for any corrosion, make sure it runs smoothly, and particularly check brake operation.

That era K and R-bikes were probably the most beautiful motorcycles BMW ever made.

Only issue I am aware of is you should check if the bike has had a cam chain tensioner upgrade. Look the R/H side of the engine. If you see it sticking out like a sore thumb, it's been upgraded.

For the rest I am not aware of any particular problems on low mileage bikes such as the one you are looking at.

"Only issue I am aware of is you should check if the bike has had a cam chain tensioner upgrade. Look the R/H side of the engine. If you see it sticking out like a sore thumb, it's been upgraded.

For the rest I am not aware of any particular problems on low mileage bikes such as the one you are looking at."

That is for 2006 and later K1200GT's; not 2004.

• 3 weeks later...

And if you got it, did it come with stock (round) mirrors?

Many, and me too, replaced with the oval RS mirrors, looks better and work better.

So.....does anyone have any thoughts on the K1200GT? ......and it's red!
They are great for cutting deer in two... and with it being red, the blood won't show! :grin:
They are great for cutting deer in two... and with it being red, the blood won't show! :grin:

Very funny, Ms. J! :wave:

Maybe not. He's looking at a 2004 model, which doesn't have those knife-blade Hossack forks.

The original GT version is so beautiful deer stop and admire them.

As opposed to leaping out in front of the later models so as to avoid having to look at them.

I put 2200 miles on my '04 last week. Winding though the Appalachians and hammering out interstate at 90 mph. Its a fantastic motorcycle. Replace the plastic fuel line clips and paint it blue. That should make it just about perfect :grin:

There are more than a few folks who think that motor is one of the very best BMW built for a bike...

Not as simple to service as a current R bike but solid and decent handling

Archived