IGNORED

Changing Brake Fluid on Linked Brake System

TKNorCal

Anyone out there taken on the project of changing the brake (and clutch fluid) on a 2002 (and later) R1150RT. Is it as daunting a project as it looks--requiring special tools?

How much does a dealer charge for the procedure?

After selling my 96 R1100RT and buying a 2002 model, it was a shock to learn that re-newing the brake fluid appears to be a real hassle.

Cheers

Tandy

This has been done by many of us on the board. It's not very difficult but does take a couple of hours to do as you must remove the tank. I find it best to do when I do my annual inspection each winter since I will already have the tupperware off. It does require one tool, homemade, affectionately called a 'mini-Stan' (and no, I didn't invent it).

If you use the site search engine you will find the links to a nicely written up step by step procedure. Or just look in the shop manual, it tells how (using BMW tools).

If you are nervous about doing this on your own, look for a tech day in your area. Almost always someone will be doing this on at least one bike. Maybe even yours if you ask.

I don't have a clue what a dealer would charge.... my bike hasn't been in a shop since the 600 mile inspection.

Stan

Thanks much--found the articles you mentioned and have ordered the parts to make the tool. In addition, I located a 2003 RID for my 2002 which say "E" in 6th gear--so, we'll have an answer to that question.

Tandy

Archived