IGNORED

Changed front and rear brake pads.

RTJohn

While doing the 48k service, I changed out front and rear brake pads. The fronts needed it. They had been replaced by the dealer at 24k. The rears were original. The left front inside pad was really badly worn down. I think I got it just in time. The rears didn't need it at all. From the looks of it, I could've gone to 100k miles on the original rear pads. Is this typical? BTW, it was so ridiculously easy to do I'm angry at myself for letting the dealer do the first brake job. :D

Afternoon John

As a rule for most riders the rears wear out first on the hexheads, I don't have enough info to comment on the camheads yet.

BUT-- brake wear is really a personal thing as some riders use the rear brake first & use it for everything & others (like myself) seldom touch the rear brake pedal unless stopped or waiting on a steep hill. Maybe a bit of trail braking but even then I use the front lever for some of that if at high speeds.

Riders riding two up a lot probably wear the rear brake more as they have more weight on the rear tire so the ABS computer automatically dials in more rear braking bias even when only using the front hand lever.

Personally I get very little rear brake pad wear on my hexhead, as I mentioned, I usually use only the front lever & let the computer sort out the rear braking. I also ride very fast & am a very late braker so lots of quick weight transfer to the front therefore lots of front brake bias with little need for much rear.

Archived