IGNORED

Mobil Oil Filter for 2012 R1200GSA

OlGeezer

Evening OlGeezer

Mobil doesn't list an oil filter for the BMW 1200 hexhead. There is one that will fit (same as used on the old oihead) but you asked for PROPER so that leaves none.

Call or E-Mail Mobil tec center & ask for their recommendation on the proper filter for the 1200 GSA. Bet they say they don't make one for that engine.

Just curious. What separates that filter from the rest including the Mobil 1 Extended Performance filter?

Morning RAINEY

--Listed fitment---

It (the HF 164) is listed by the filter supplier as being FOR the BMW 1200 hexhead or camhead.

That is a big plus if you fail an engine & need to get BMW involved in a warranty or even out of warranty repair. Incorrect maintenance parts will shut that process down real quick like.

If you are using a non approved/non authorized engine oil filter then your chance of getting any warranty or (goodwill gesture) from BMW is about nonexistent.

Might even be a problem with a 3rd party extended warranty repair if incorrect maintenance parts were used.

Same with help from the filter supplier if you fail an engine due to a faulty filter. If you are using a non-approved filter they (the filter supplier) will flat turn you down on any compensation for engine damage caused by a non approved oil filter.

When using an oil filter that isn't listed by the filter supplier as being specifically for your vehicle you are basically giving up all rights to any engine damage claims due to using incorrect parts for repair or maintenance.

After reading this thread I feel I have to ask about Beemer Boneyard. They supply lots of stuff for our bikes...Mann MW75 oil filters specifically. Are they approved? I'd really like to know.

After reading this thread I feel I have to ask about Beemer Boneyard. They supply lots of stuff for our bikes...Mann MW75 oil filters specifically. Are they approved? I'd really like to know.

Good question. Why don't you call/e-mail Beemer Boneyard, or were you waiting for someone else to do it?

Afternoon John

The Mann MW75 oil filter is basically a BMW oil filter without the BMW brand name on it. So working wise it should be just great.

As far Mann listing the BMW 1200 hexhead/camhead as a fit for their MW75 you might have to call Mann or Beemer Boneyard to see if there is a fitment cart that actually shows that.

The Beemer Boneyard Mann oil filter + shipping is actually more expensive than my local BMW dealer's OEM filter & I get a free cup of coffee at my local BMW dealer.

Smartaleck. I was waiting for DR to weigh in, which he did. I did ask Beemer Boneyard about Liqui-Moly motorcycle engine oil they were selling. They say it's for beemers, but it's rated SL, not SG. When I asked them about that they said it meets all of BMW's requirements and that it was safe to use in our bikes. I've got some in my RT now. So far so good.

Thanks for the quick response. BTW, I was perusing another sight and it stated that BMW filters are made by Mahle of Austria. Mann filters are made in Germany. But then again, they require Japanese made NGK spark plugs. Go figure.

Thanks for the quick response. BTW, I was perusing another sight and it stated that BMW filters are made by Mahle of Austria. Mann filters are made in Germany. But then again, they require Japanese made NGK spark plugs. Go figure.

You know, I have always wondered about that (specifying NGK instead of Bosch), but obviously not enough to actually ask someone.

:wave:

Just curious. What separates that filter from the rest including the Mobil 1 Extended Performance filter?

Morning RAINEY

--Listed fitment---

It (the HF 164) is listed by the filter supplier as being FOR the BMW 1200 hexhead or camhead.

That is a big plus if you fail an engine & need to get BMW involved in a warranty or even out of warranty repair. Incorrect maintenance parts will shut that process down real quick like.

If you are using a non approved/non authorized engine oil filter then your chance of getting any warranty or (goodwill gesture) from BMW is about nonexistent.

Might even be a problem with a 3rd party extended warranty repair if incorrect maintenance parts were used.

Same with help from the filter supplier if you fail an engine due to a faulty filter. If you are using a non-approved filter they (the filter supplier) will flat turn you down on any compensation for engine damage caused by a non approved oil filter.

When using an oil filter that isn't listed by the filter supplier as being specifically for your vehicle you are basically giving up all rights to any engine damage claims due to using incorrect parts for repair or maintenance.

Sounds like good information to me. The Mobil Automotive Rep told me that they are soon coming out with a motorcycle specific filter line. Right now Champion makes all of their regular automotive filters, but I'm not sure about the Mobil 1 Extended Performance filters.

Morning RAINEY

--Listed fitment---

Thanks ... you beat me to the reply. In addition I have been told by a BMW repair shop (not BMW Dealer) that the HiFlo filters are one of the few that meet a European standard.

It appears K&N makes an oil filter to fit the GSA. It's not any less expensive ($15), nor should be any easier to get because it's unlikely my local O'Reilly store will carry it, but it seems like this is an option.

While there, I noticed they also have a K&N air filter which fits the GSA.

Comments?

It appears K&N makes an oil filter to fit the GSA. It's not any less expensive ($15), nor should be any easier to get because it's unlikely my local O'Reilly store will carry it, but it seems like this is an option.

While there, I noticed they also have a K&N air filter which fits the GSA.

Comments?

I use the Hi-Flo Air filter .. it looks EXACTLY like the BMW filter for about 1/2 the cost. I usually use BMW Oil filters but when I do go aftermarket I go Hi-Flo there too.

Hopefully the inside is the same.

Otherwise meaningless wrt appearance.

Flow rate and pressures?

I think about 4 years ago a real nice thread on this w/input from people who did this stuff in real life.

Perhaps the right search?

Good luck.

Interesting that the K&N filer model number is the same (KN-164)

Evening OlGeezer

I presume you are talking about the BMW filter?

If so you have a few choices--

You might find a filter wrench that will work if you try enough auto parts stores. It won't be an exact fit but a few will sort of work.

Or just get a generic filter strap wrench (the type that goes on an extension). If you find one like this one it should work pretty good.

OilFilterHex-1.jpg

Archived