IGNORED

Bottom dwelling tranny drain

Stan Walker

'02 R1150RT with 69,166 miles on it.

Just for the heck of it I drained the oil from the tranny using the bottom drain plug instead of the drain on the side I normally use. I've always wanted to do that but it requires pulling the exhaust system to reach it.

For those who don't know the bottom drain is bigger than the side drain and has a really big magnet in it (much bigger that the one on the 1100 tranny).

I found a collection of metal slivers and black goo. Nothing very big. Considering that it hasn't been cleaned since the bike was built I was pleasantly surprised. The cup around the magnet wasn't even full.

I couldn't find a torque for it. The side drain is 30 Nm and this is a much bigger part so I used 40 Nm. There is no crush washer, it has a raised metal ridge on the seating surface.

I still ended up removing the side drain as the bottom drain left a small amount of oil still in the tranny.

Stan

Stan,

That's good to know. I had always wondered if pulling the bottom plug with the magnet should be added to the R11XX maintenance schedule. For what it's worth, the K1200 transmissions use a similar if not the same big plug with the magnet. The torque on those is 55 NM.

Thanks!

Chris Wenzel

2004 R1150RT, 2004 R1150GS

Long Beach, California

I didn't know there was a bottom drain.

There isn't on the 1100's...... but have a lot of fun looking for it anyway! smile.gif

Stan

And I was thinking about looking for it. Glad I read more.

Archived