IGNORED

New 2006 R1200RT Order from Germany

MrR1200RT

Does anyone have any first hand experiance with a new bike order process? I ordered my bike 10/13/05 as it was being built in Germany. Information from the dealer, as of today 12/26/05 my bike shipment status still shows in transit to warehouse. It was suppose to arrive at the warehouse on 12/12/05 and then changed to 12/14/05 and now it has been 12 days past this estimated delivery date. Any information regarding this process would be welcome.

hi mate

I can tell you how it works in uk, i dont think it differs that much country to country, Basically think of it as importing any goods . The initial order is placed the goods are made , the certificate of origin then has to be produced , then a category licence is applied for this denotes how much duty/taxes are paid by the importer af said goods , once this is done the goods are packed and ready to be shipped , once the goods are loaded it is allocated a bill of laden and it,s then bound for whichever country that,s the easy part when the ship is on course arrival dates are set , now comes the crux of the matter

like carparks ships have to dock in specific areas to be unloaded this is done on a time critical basis. ie miss your spot it could be days or sometimes weeks before you get another. then the ship is unloaded and the containers are placed in their respective parking slots and pending the time of year checked and passed by customs then loaded onto trunkers for delivery and sent on their way. Now if your bike was sent on a shared container basis the guy who has the largest share of the container takes entire delivery at this unknown to us destination it is then devanned and arrangments are made for individual distribution by haulage contractors/ or freight forwarders.

this normallt takes about 3/5 days , but at this time of year it can take upto 6wks because every major company is frantically ordering for new year and customs will only move at one pace, and the more hassle that is bestowed upon them the slower they get. i would not mind betting that your new bike is in the queue and will get it 2nd week jan 06.

Or atleast that,s my bet and i import on a regular basis to uk and this time of year is a real pain to companies like me . As i said this is how it work,s in uk and asia etc so it should be similar in the STATES.

Anyway the main thing is that when the bike arrives you will enjoy it and i hope you have many years of trouble free riding please keep us all informed of the progress

oh yes and welcome to the board

SEASONS GREETINGS 7 happy newyear

derek

stay upright thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Is this a BMW motorcycle that you ordered in the US? If so they all come from Germany and then get trucked to the dealership. What exactly are you trying to find out? You seem to have all the info available.

What exactly are you trying to find out?

Marty, is this the guy whose bike was on a truck that you said you read got hijacked?

Or was that another bike on another truck? I'm bad with details.

Yes, I ordered my bike from a local dealer here in California. Everytime I check with the dealer he tells me the computer still shows the my order status as "In transit to warehouse". The cargo ship left Bremerhaven Germany on 12/04/05 to the US port "NYCPOA", it's been 23 days since it left Germany. Others I've spoke with said that it should only take 14 to 16 days to reach the U.S. port. I guess it's the time of year that may be slowing things down. I'm just suprised with todays tracking technology that my dealer does not have the ability to tell me more than it's it's in transist. Another fellow rider told that you can track the container ship but BMW customer service can not give out that confidential information.

We had a transit strike here in NYC 12/21-23 and the whole region came to a standstill. You cannot imagine 7 million people trying to get into NYC on a daily basis with no public transportation. FedEx and UPS stopped guaranteeing shipments into this area. Everything here stopped...then there was Christmas.

Suggest you have your dealer do a closer check with the carriers and determine what affect the transit strike may have had on their warehouse and shipping schedules into and out of this area.

Good luck on getting your bike soon.

Francis

Update, my dealer checked the computer and now my R1200Rt shows "In Dealer Inventory" Yeah! He said mostly likely this time next week my bike should be in the dealers hands and soon in my hands. clap.gif

Archived