IGNORED

Tires (Sorry)

BakersRT

Did a search and didn't see what I was looking for. Need new tires for the RT.

Pilot Roads or Avon ST's?

I don't consider myself as an agressive rider, I do enjoy the twisties though.

TIA

I have over 8000mi on pilot roads, seem to be wearing OK, i figure i can get another 2000 to 3000 on them. I am going to put pilot roads back on my R1200RT. I am pretty agreesive and speedy.

Did a search and didn't see what I was looking for. Need new tires for the RT.

Pilot Roads or Avon ST's?

I don't consider myself as an agressive rider, I do enjoy the twisties though.

TIA

What model RT? R1100RT, R1150RT, or R1200RT? They are all different...
Al Navecky Jr
I liked the Pilots on my 02RT but they howled like crazy. Changed to Z6 which are working very well. Going to ME88 for my Alaska run.

My Pilots howled also. Not sure what I will get next.

I'm a Metzler fan. ME880's on the bike now. More grip than I'll ever use, and seem to be wearing very well. thumbsup.gif

I was told by my dealer that you can't use ME880's on an RT, since it is a bias ply tire. Is this correct info or is my dealer just trying to recommend a tire that doesn't seem to get very high mileage so that I will have to replace them sooner and pay them more money???

I'm a Metzler fan. ME880's on the bike now. More grip than I'll ever use, and seem to be wearing very well. thumbsup.gif

I was told by my dealer that you can't use ME880's on an RT, since it is a bias ply tire. Is this correct info or is my dealer just trying to recommend a tire that doesn't seem to get very high mileage so that I will have to replace them sooner and pay them more money???

The very first ME880 tires were made for K1200LT and designed for maximum load carrying capacity. Those ME880 were bias/belted. All the other ME880 tires, be it for the R1100RT, R1150RT, or for my R1150R, are radials.

As a side, when only the K1200LT type bias ME880 were available, I used them VERY successfully on my R1100RT, replacing the original 18" rear wheel with a 17" wheel from the KLT.

The very first ME880 tires were made for K1200LT and designed for maximum load carrying capacity. Those ME880 were bias/belted. All the other ME880 tires, be it for the R1100RT, R1150RT, or for my R1150R, are radials.

As a side, when only the K1200LT type bias ME880 were available, I used them VERY successfully on my R1100RT, replacing the original 18" rear wheel with a 17" wheel from the KLT.

Thanks for that info, as I said I ask my dealer and they said no way. I've been watching all the tire threads on here and other sites and it seemed strange that other people were using ME880's on their RT's. I guess that goes to show don't listen to a saleman go the service manager..lol Thanks again for the info..

Thanks for that info, as I said I ask my dealer and they said no way. I've been watching all the tire threads on here and other sites and it seemed strange that other people were using ME880's on their RT's. I guess that goes to show don't listen to a saleman go the service manager..lol Thanks again for the info..
Hey, I'm a BMW bike salesman grin.gif

. I guess that goes to show don't listen to a saleman go the service manager..lol Thanks again for the info..

My side hurts from laffffffing

How in the world can you guys get the mileage out of your tires that you do? I can NEVER get more than 5,000 miles out of a set. BTW, I only weigh 150 lbs and typically ride with little luggage or weight on the bike. My riding is a combination of commuting to work and mountain rides. I also wear out the front tire before the rear. This goes for both Michelin and Bridgestone tires. '02 R1150RT. I had the same results years ago on my '94 R1100RS.

How in the world can you guys get the mileage out of your tires that you do? I can NEVER get more than 5,000 miles out of a set. BTW, I only weigh 150 lbs and typically ride with little luggage or weight on the bike. My riding is a combination of commuting to work and mountain rides. I also wear out the front tire before the rear. This goes for both Michelin and Bridgestone tires. '02 R1150RT. I had the same results years ago on my '94 R1100RS.
I would guess your signature line may explain your tire wear smile.gif
ShovelStrokeEd

Ridden agressivly, which, from your sig line, I have no doubt you do, the RT will eat tires in a pretty big hurry. You still have 635 lbs of bike there. I wore the sides off BT-010 rear in two 400 mile days of agressive twisty riding.

I would suggest a harder tire for you. The S likes a Pilot Power front and a Pilot Road rear as that gets both tires wearing about the same rate. BMW's suspension arrangement does load the front pretty heavily in cornering. Wouldn't surprise me if your not contributing to that more than a little via turn in technique.

Talk about opening mouth and inserting foot...LOL I'm sorry about that remark, no offense intended. I guess I should read peoples profile before making such comments even jokingly.

Once again sorry about the remark and thanks for your knowledgeable information..

Dave

Archived