IGNORED

fuel mileage

David R

I am pretty close to a new R1200R.

What are you folks getting for mileage?

BMW sez 57 mpg. This would be sweet. MY R1100RT gets 45 until I put the fuel controller and it went down to 42 but well worth it.

I am pretty close to a new R1200R.

What are you folks getting for mileage?

BMW sez 57 mpg. This would be sweet. MY R1100RT gets 45 until I put the fuel controller and it went down to 42 but well worth it.

I have a 2011 R1200RT. I see 42-45 MPG, depending on how I ride the bike. I think the 57 mpg that's quoted is level ground and 60 mph.

Does it get better as it breaks in? I'm having trouble getting 40 on my GSA.

My 2011 RT had 1800 miles on it when I bought it in May. It now has almost 13K miles on it so it should be well broken in. I haven't noticed any improvement as the miles accumulated.

My 2010 R1200RT has over 24K miles on it. I just returned from a 4,000 mile trip and averaged a bit over 48 mpg. The trip included sustained high speeds, elevation and twisties (with high rpms), and temps ranging from 40 degrees to over 100 degrees...uhhhh, not all at the same time ;)

Normal riding in Houston is between 48-50mpg.

Does it get better as it breaks in? I'm having trouble getting 40 on my GSA.

The GS (and the R, I think) has a lower final drive ratio, which hurts gas mileage. You will notice that most of the responses here have been from RT riders, who can usually expect 45-50 mpg. My RT did once see 56mpg on a half tank while riding some tight twistys, but it dropped back to 49-50 when I got back on the four lane. I think 40 mpg is probably pretty typical for a GS.

Larry

dirtdreamer50

My 12 gets an average of 43mpg, but a friend's 1150 get around 10 mpg more. I'm hoping to get closer to his mileage, but if not, I'm ok... tompdd50

The meter on the bike seems to be around 44 for the first tank. I filled it and reset it tonight. Tomorrow is another tank, then the long weekend. I should have a good idea by next week.

Smooooth, shifts like no other BMW I have ridden. Girlfriend likes it. :)

For the break in, it sez keep under 4,000 RPM. No problem, it will go 75 in 6th @ 4k.

One hundred miles on it today.

David

44 to 45 mpg after 1,000 miles of fun riding.

Average consumption by the computer is spot on.

Gauge is off by a mile.

Thanks every one.

David

dirtdreamer50

Congrats on the new R. Your tank holds almost two gallons less than the RT. That being said, you will probably go close to 180 miles before "reserve". Don't know about you, but my butt needs a rest or stretch long before it's time for gas, especially with the RT tank. Have fun, be safe. tomp dd50

FWIW, I agree with the gauge/ computer statement. Mine is the same. tp

Love thee bike.

Gauge comes off full at 120 miles. Low fuel light comes on at 220 miles. One bar left on the gauge. I fill it to the top, 5.1 gallons is the most I have put in it.

Going to try filling to the neck like the book says. I will see what the gauge does. I been using a trip meter for thirty some years. If that is the only problem I will not take it to a dealer. I did my own 600 mile service.

Bike comes with steel braided brake lines. Nice touch.\

David

• 2 months later...

6,000 miles on my 12 R1200R. 45 mpg on a good day. Never less than 40. I ride it pretty good. :) I have seen 49 mpg, but only a couple of tanks full.

Crank the bike up to 80 and forget mileage. It goes south. Like 35 to 40 mpg.

David

• 1 month later...
My 2011 RT generally gets around 45-50mpg on the highway but I've experienced as low as 40mpg and as high as 55mpg.

+1 on my 2011RT -- Head wind, or 75mph+ will send the mileage number WAY down!

My 2011 RT generally gets around 45-50mpg on the highway but I've experienced as low as 40mpg and as high as 55mpg.

I'm getting just maybe 10% higher on a 2009 RT with about 16k miles. Picking up a new 2013 and hoping to get similar mpg once I've got 10k miles or so.

6,000 miles on my 12 R1200R. 45 mpg on a good day. Never less than 40. I ride it pretty good. :) I have seen 49 mpg, but only a couple of tanks full.

Crank the bike up to 80 and forget mileage. It goes south. Like 35 to 40 mpg.

David

Using the bike's computer or hand calculated? Mine is higher hand calculated! About 3-4 mpg usually.

Just remember that any calculation needs to be verified by checking the accuracy of the odometer.

I've heard....

well, ride a measured mile/use a good GPS etc and see if the odo is spot on.

If not?

"...Just remember that any calculation needs to be verified by checking the accuracy of the odometer...."

Well yeah, if you care that much! I'm quite happy with the numbers I'm getting with the BC and hand calculated (GPS miles, Gallons added), so not concerned if it's really only 45 or really 48 mpg! Heck, my bladder never lasts an entire gag tank anyway! :P

Similar mileage here, 45-50 generally, however had a few 55-58! tanks when we cruising out west and just enjoying the scenery. I was amazed...also similar drop when it's cranked up to 80, about the same % drop as with my old Cummings Dually.

Archived