IGNORED

Shanghai'd in Mexicali!

KMG_365

Major kudos to Steve for putting together a really great trip!!!

The weather was incredible! Warm and sunny in San Diego with clear, blue skies. A little cooler going over the passes, but warm again in the desert with not too much wind. Jim Moore set us a nice, brisk, yet comfortable pace for the ride out and back (Thanks Jim!! smile.gif ). The parking worked out great, though I felt a little guilty pulling the "bait-and-switch" with the Fire Captain. "Oh, it should be only about 6-10 bikes." It turns out we packed 16 bikes into their parking lot--including the six bikes riding two-up--22 people in all!

We walked across the border and by luck found what used to be "Nueva Asia" and is now "Shanghai". YS, KenOC's lovely SO, worked it out with the manager and ordered the Manager's Specials for us (in Chinese!). The food just kept on coming! We had a private room and ate "family style" 5-7 people per table. The food was fabulous and plentiful, though the one glaring omission: NO EGG ROLLS!!! We didn't even miss them. smile.gif

What a fabulous day/ride/time with the SoCal group! Some new friends joined up for the fun as well! Weaselwayne had a Harley riding friend along, who did a bang-up job wrestling his beautiful, big HD through the windy, winding, mountain passes at 100 MPH! We talked for a bit before he left Calexico . . . I predict he'll be on an RT before the year is out! smile.gif

Leslie felt like Ginger Rodgers on her Cruiser flying along through the sweepers at 110 MPH--doing everything that Fred Astaire did except backwards and in high heels! The Cruiser's just not nearly as comfortable as the RT at Mach Hoon--especially with the wind--it is a great cruising bike, but she's been infected by these wonderful, lovable Hoons--and you know who you are!! smile.gif She has really grown as a rider and if she can hold her own with us this well on a R1200C, I may have a hard time keeping up with HER on an RT!! smile.gif She can't wait to get her new RT back from Atlanta to its new home in San Diego! Is it Easter yet??!!

A big THANK YOU to all who showed up and made the trek with us to Mexico! And, of course another BIG THANK YOU to Cary, David, and the Moderators for providing us the opportunity to come together and share the awesome fellowship with other riders!

I'll never make it to TORREY V!!!!!!! frown.gif C'mon--bring it!! LET'S MOTO!!!!! smile.gif

The "Dry-Town Crew" in front of Chez Edmonds getting ready to saddle up.

159826-Dry-TownRides.jpg

Leaving the parking lot of the Calexico Fire Department making a run for the border!

159828-Ride-TownWalks.jpg

"Chow"-ing down of some fabulous eats!

159830-SoCalEats1.jpg

More of the group.

159832-SoCalEats3.jpg

Still more of us!

159833-SoCalEats2.jpg

YS settling the bill and schmoozing the Manger! Thanks YS!!

159835-YSPays.jpg

I hereby call out one (or more) of the Ride Town Flock to post Ride Tale of the northern route!!

159826-Dry-TownRides.jpg.cf991733944d3d0c2713297bdbbc5656.jpg

Jamie, just got back and also did a write-up of this great trip! Some pics will duplicate yours, but bandwidth's cheap, right??? Here goes...

Steve and Judy had a weird idea: The Ride Town Flock should pop down to Mexico for -- Chinese food! Egg rolls to be exact, but since we didn't have any, we won't mention that again.

Quoth Steve: "Did you know that by the 1920’s, Chinese outnumbered Mexicans by nearly 9300 people in the tiny city of Mexicali, Mexico? Well, since then, things have changed, but there is still a sizeable Chinese-Mexican population here. In fact, Mexicali, which boasts a population of 850,000, now has more Chinese restaurants per capita than any other city in Latin America?"

A bit of background: There is a city straddling the border opf Mexico and the United States. The northern half is Calexico and the southern half is Mexicali. Aptly named!

So, while Steve and Judy and some others took a direct route to Calexico, a few (!) others met at Jamie and Les's house in San Diego for a beautiful ride over via highway 94, a long rural road which plays catch-me-if-you-can with the border. I expected two or three bikes at Jamie and Les's place, but look at this!

at_jamies.jpg

Of course veteran wrenchmeister Big Jim Moore was there -- he was to lead to to and from Calexico, often at speeds which don't bear mentioning here:

big_jim.jpg

Jim was more civilized than usual because he rode his RT instead of the GS....and we all arrived in Calexico about 11:30. Les had bribed the local fire department (using a big tray of pastries that fit nicely into my Givi) to let us part in back of the fire station. Here we are milling around there.

fire_station.jpg

So we walked across the border into Mexicali and soon found our restaurant. My SO Yingshan, who is of the Chinese persuasion, struck up a conversation with the owner who promised us a feast at $5 per head. And a feast it was! Here are some of us enjoying the repast.T hat's Yingshan in the middle of the first picture...

rest_big.jpg

rest_small.jpg

Also pictures of Jamie (our host along with Steve, whose bright idea this was in the first place) and myself in front of the restaurant:

jamie.jpgme.jpg

Just to prove it's Mexico, a glance down the sidewalk from the restaurant:

sidewalk.jpg

Returning, we went our various ways since we live all over SoCal. Don, BadAdam and Judy, and Yingshan and myself cut over to Octillo and took S2 through the desert to the 79 and north to Temecula. Home then, in our various ways. For Yingshan and myself, it was a total of 12 hours and about 450 miles of sheer pleasure. Temps from about 50 to the low 70's and what we in the LA basin call a "Chamber of Commerce day" with crystal clear air and beautiful views of the snow that fell on the mountains last night.

Let's do it again next week!

What a ride!!!!!

Julie and I left the house this morning and blasted over to Glendora at mach 1 where we met with Daryll, Meghan, BrianT, Steve and the lovely JP. After a quick gas stop we were off on a nice run on the 10 Freeway over to Palm Springs. Got some wind as we drove into the Cabazon area and watched Daryll ride basically straddling two lanes as SUV's tried to figure out if they wanted to mess with a big dude in all black.

The weather was great. A little chilly and windy but 60's and 70's all the way to our Flying J meet with Tony, Kim and Don. A quick gas fill (boy the new K-RS can really suck it down) and we were off for the ride down Mexico way. After a half hour or so at 80MPH I decided that I needed to try some decent speed. Daryll, Brian and Megan came along (thank goodness because they have V1's on their bikes and I haven't installed mine yet). We left the others at 80 and were quickly in the triple digits and rising quickly. Brian has a K-gt that is going to good use, Daryll just got a set of Ohlins on his 1150RT and is ready to rock and I, with my poor wife on the back, am ready for speed any time, any where. I kid you not, we got to 140 indicated on the west side of the Salton Sea this morning. Amazing!!! I was yelling at the pig to go faster and my wife is playing cowboy behind me saying 'whoa horsie' with my jacket. I decided to let off the throttle but kept moving above 100.

One funny thing that happens on bikes is that cars sometimes want to drive with you. Our little group collected some cars and a white MINIVAN that was insane. This guy (with his family) were cruising along at 110MPH with us and at one point I watched him almost take Daryll out when we got into a smaller town on the way to the border. I always knew people in Chevy Astrovans were stupid because the stinkin' mirrors on those pigs are huge but the view of this guy today cemented it in my mind. Chevy Astrovans are EVIL!!!!! Like Bert, but more evil.

See this page for more information: http://www.spacecat.com/bert/bert.htm

We rolled into Calexico and quickly found the fire station and parked out back with the red trucks and other stuff they keep behind a fire station. Jamie really scored a sweet spot for us. We all left our bikes with these guys and didn't have to worry at all about the drama of leaving helmets, bags, etc. in a border town. Thanks again Jamie.

Next we all got a stroll going towards the border. Calexico is a classic border town. The cities on both sides seem to only exist because there is a city on the other side but you can never tell which one came first. I guess we'll have to find out more later. Of course, in the case of Calexico the other town is named Mexicali so you've gotta think that they came into being at the same time. We should name all places this way.

We crossed the border, took some pictures with a statue and proceeded to get lost. We (a group of 20 gringos and a few asian women) managed to walk down the main drag, loose half our group somewhere and eventually make it to the Sechuan restaurant where I saw only a buffet and had my hopes dashed of some decent grub. I guess I'm spoiled because there is literally a baby-China in my backyard. My city is something like 50% Chinese and there are excellent restaurants all around so I've been truly spoiled. Well, thanks go to YS who managed to get us all seated in a back room, fed like kings with something like 6 courses and all the iced tea you could drink for 5 BUCKS! You read right, we ate like gluttons and paid 5 bucks each. A greater deal could not be had anywhere (of course 40 bucks in gas to get there and back but that doesn't count). A great meal and a lively conversation came to an end too quickly and we all went back to cross the border. Of course, we had some drama doing that thanks to our new 'ultra-secure' homeland security department formerly known as the INS. The wanted to know some good things like when I became a citizen (I should have said 2009) and we buttered the lady up so that Leslie wouldn't get it too bad when she go the checker because she didn't have ID. Of course, she got right in. Boy, I feel safe with these folks guarding our border. Letting a cruiser rider like Les in is gonna ruin this country I tell you. Oh, wait, she's getting an RT? Ok, let her in I guess. cool.gif

A brisk waddling pace was established and we j-walked our way back to the fire station for some photos and gearing up for the ride home. A few different directions were tossed out and Julie and I decided to join Don, Ken and YS on the ride home through the Anzo-Borrego desert and Agua Caliente. Off we go (of course, after the obligatory gas stop) at top speed through a road that parallels the border. We stopped as a large group with the San Diego bound folks and said our final good byes. Off I went towards what I though was State Route 22 until about 10 miles later when Ken stops me, asks me if I'm going to France and tells me that we are way off route. All of us turn around (sorry again guys) and we made it back to this ride that goes north throug some canyons and mountains going from a desert to oak tree filled plains and up to 3,000 feet where we stop for some more gas. These roads are great and I've never been on them so we are eating them up. Julie is getting tired and cold so we opt out of the Ortega highway run with Ken and YS to head towards the traffic pit that is LA. We only go caught in one high speed chase (two helicoptors, 6 patrol cars), and one nice weekend traffic jam before hitting our favourite Vietnamese restaurant for some warm Pho soup and a deliciousy hot pot of tea and some crunchy egg noodles with Squid, shrimp and vegetables. Second yummy meal of the day. And only three blocks from home. We drag raced a kid (think Fast and Furious car here) in an M3 (ha, my BMW kicks your ass kid!!!!!) and pulled into the garage very happy!

Total mileage - about 500 miles

Speeds - 0-140

Smiles - almost constantly.

Books lost - 1 (I left my mexico guidebook and a motorcycle magazine somewhere in the firemans lot so if you find them, send them my way)

Meals enjoyed - 2

Fine friends enjoyed - 23 and counting.

Folks, thanks for being you. I really enjoy meeting you and sharing these great experiences. Have a good week and have fun planning the next in search of.......

btw- my vote's for a Basque feast in Bakersfield with some fine roads thrown in along the way.

Great writeups guys. I'd like to thank Steve for organizing the trip, and Jamie and Leslie for hosting our start point in San Diego and securing parking for us in Calexico. Can't wait 'til next time.

Excelent write-up, as usual, Jamie. Want to thank you and Leslie for your pre trip hospitality, Jim for his "Guidance" and Steve for the trip idea, and all those that made the trip (22) you too made it a happening. If this gang gets any bigger, we'll need to call ahead for reservations.

What's next? Sue & I are IN! laugh.gif

AdventurePoser
Great writeups guys. I'd like to thank Steve for organizing the trip, and Jamie and Leslie for hosting our start point in San Diego and securing parking for us in Calexico. Can't wait 'til next time.

Speaking for myself, it was great renewing the old friendships and making new ones as well! Great write ups as well....I'll post a few pictures later in the afternoon of the group.

Many thanks to all of you who truly made this an excellent experience! If you weren't here, you missed out! confused.gif

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

What can I say!!!

A great time was had by all. Can't wait until the next one. I have to agree Bakersfield sounds good.

I apologize to Steve and Tony for heading back with the San Diego crew at least part way. But I've been wanting to ride the Great Southern Overland Stage Route of 1849 (S2) for severals months. It was sure worth it. A great ride with Ken and Adam, although the KRS mileage sure sucks at those speeds (there goes my average).

BTW I was reading a post regarding the under powered R1200C. Well having followed Leslie from Calexico for about 20 miles at 95 -100 mph until we split for S2 I can't believe anyone being disappointed with it's power. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Looking forward to more pictures Steve, Ken and Jamie.

Ken,guys, thanks for sharing your trip to mexicali, I didn't know there were some many chinese restaurants there, and of course it was a great deal to eat for $5 each.

Gasoline was more expensive but riding togheter worth it.

I live near Mexico city, about 1,500 miles from mexicali, so for me its quite dificult to ride over there. (you know roads here aren't sometimes so good).

Congratulations to all.

Mike.

AdventurePoser

Mike,

Who knows...maybe there will be another ride "south of the border" soon. You are definitely invited, my friend!

Steve in So Cal

Excellent write-up, as usual, Jamie. Want to thank you and Leslie for your pre trip hospitality, Jim for his "Guidance" and Steve for the trip idea, and all those that made the trip (22) you too made it a happening.

I'd sure like to second these sentiments and thank Jamie & Leslie for welcoming me when I showed up unannounced 25 minutes early (a congenital defect). Actually I think we (anyone in southern California) should start all of our trips at Jamie & Leslie's - great coffee, OJ, and a variety of tasty rolls all in great quantities served with a warm smile. laugh.gif Folks, Jamie & Leslie run a first class operation from start to finish - who else would think to recruit a fighter pilot to set the pace?

This was my first ride with the group and I had an absolute blast. Great idea Steve!

A great ride with Ken and Adam, although the KRS mileage sure sucks at those speeds (there goes my average).

Hey, I thought that WAS the speed limit! How did you like that 90-degree left turn right over the top of the hill?

Beautiful ride!

AdventurePoser

Man, it is great to read these terrific ride reports! Not being much of a writer, not much I can contribute here...

So, I figured I'd post some pix. Went to download them from my Canon digital camera and apparently there was some corruption of data. I was able to get the pix on my desktop, but that was it...where they went. who knows? confused.gif

You've posted some great shots here. Make sure if you still have shots from this ride please post them so we can all enjoy! grin.gif

Meanwhile, stay tuned for the next "In Search of" ride!

Steve in So Cal

Hey Steve!

SierraLab said:

---------------

Here is my 2 favorite “In search of episodes”

Loch Ness Monster:

A hunt for the tricky and somewhat lovable leviathan that has eluded all expeditions to prove that it truly exists. Leonard Nimoy hosts this classic TV series that probes supernatural mysteries.

The Abominable Snowman:

Hidden high in the cover of the Himalayas, a shy, eight-foot tall, hairy half-human lurks.

How about it Steve, Can we find these creatures on an RT?

------------------

This gave me an excellent idea for another In Search Of . . . ride!

How about: "In Search Of . . . Daniel!"

I hear he's supposed to live somewhere out in the deserts of Arizona. smile.gif No one's ever seen him, though they DO hear a lot from him! grin.gif

My personal theory (witness the blank profile and all) is that he is really either a 16 year old High School student, or one of those survivalist types living off of MRE's and canned goods in a bunker somewhere in the middle of nowhere at the end of a DSL connection!

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Sounds like a fun trip, no?? Maybe, if we DO find him, we can coax him out for a ride?! laugh.gif

Maybe, if we DO find him [Daniel that is], we can coax him out for a ride?!

If we do, we can double his total mileage in a day!

Dawn came early on Sunday. Just like we are before every ride, myself and girlfriend Kim were so stoked about this ride we could barely sleep. The plan was to meet Steve, Jennifer, Adam, Brian, Meighan Daryl, and others at a Flying J Truck Stop just outside Rancho Mirage in Thousand Palms at about 9:30 A.M.

Saturday night I called Steve to check in and make sure everything was still on. Weather looked decent aside for some locally breezy conditions. Everything was a go. I then snuck out to the garage, to give the RT a once-over.

Bugs were still caked on her Cee Bailey's from Saturday's ride - and she needed a wipe-down. Tires needed a sip of air - 36 in front and 42 in back. Darn Dunlop D-205 front tire is already cupping with just under 3000 miles on it. Tried every tire pressure variation known to man and still cupping. Memo to self: Try some different tires next time.

At that point, I figured I'd save time, and get gas. Hopped on the RT and took a short late night hop to the Chevron to gas up, pick up some snacks, and bottled water. Quiet and clear night - but very windy. Hope the winds die down come morning.

Once back home the I checked and the oil level was spot-on and the RT was good to go. Time to get some sleep.

Sunday Morning.

Crystal-clear skies. Neither of us were tired - just excited. Not much was said - just the normal business and gathering and getting ready before a ride. Cats fed and watered. Ate a good breakfast. Geared up. It was 9:00 A.M. - time to head out.

We're outside boarding the RT when my neighbor walks out to say good morning. "Where ya headed today Tony?" He asked. "Well, figured we'd go for a ride and stop and get some good Chinese food." I said. "Really? What Chinese place are you going to hit? There's a great one in Palm Springs" he said. "Mexico. We're going to Mexico for Chinese Food." I replied. My neighbor stops and looks at me with the most confused look you've ever seen. "Mexico? Are you nuts?" he asked. "Yup! Mexicali Mexico - apparently they have great egg rolls there." "Well have a good trip, Tony - be careful. now." "We will - have a great day!"

Once we got to the truck stop we were greeted with the sight of a beautiful Capri Blue K1200RS. It was my main man Don (Kowboy) there to greet us. We said hello, and proceeded to chat for a bit and await the arrival of the others. What a beautiful bike Don's K-RS is. He showed me a very innovative spare fuel supply he kept in his rear bag. Nice setup and a super nice guy. Thanks for the great conversation, and ride Don.

At that point I glance at my watch and it reads 9:30. Steve said 9:30. I glance up and there they were - An RT, a K-GT, another RT, a K-RS... as each bike pulled into the truck stop I could feel my excitement build and build. Talk about perfect timing.

BrianT - was great to finally meet you. That dark blue color on the K-GT rocks. What a color.

After they got gas, some pictures were snapped, greetings were exchanged and it was time to go.

Hopping onto Interstate 10 East, the pack of BMW bikes proceeded to blaze into the #1 lane and get cooking. Traffic seemed to part like the Red Sea as Kim commented on the in-awe stares people were giving us. What a nice day. Thankfully the wind wasn't bad. Really nice. Kim and myself took our spot towards the back of the pack - swapping the sweep position with Kowboy. Very relaxed yet spirited pace. This was nice. Ugh - that front tire is cupped. I can feel it now.

As you exit out of the greater Palm Springs area, it gets pretty desolate - but also very scenic in a way. Lots of farming out in this area of towns with names like Indio - Coachella - Mecca - Thermal - and others. They harvest more dates in this area than anywhere else.

Suddenly the interstate swept to the right and looking off in the distance I see three bikes. Brian's K-GT, Adam's K-RS, and Daryl's RT - take off. I mean really take off - like afterburners kicked in or something. I smile to myself as I see these three bikes blast off and blaze across the flat desert landscape like three Road Runners. Wow. Not more than ten seconds later Kim comes on the intercom "Where did those guys go? Did we lose them?" I reply.... "Look over my left shoulder... see those three specs in the distance up there?" "You mean way up there?" Kim asked. "Yup - that's them!". "Holy cow!" She exclaimed.

I'm still quite impressed that an RT (Daryl's) kept pace with the other mighty K street-legal aircraft. It was indeed an amazing sight.

We watced the three specs disappear on the horizon. Watching the sun outline the sillouettes of each bike blazing away. Wish I could have gotten a picture of this. I swear these bikes look so great on the road. I never tire of looking at them and admiring these awesome demonstrations of their sheer power and precision.

At that point it was Steve & Jennifer, Kowboy, and me and Kim. Nice pace and this was heaven. Stress from last week was all but gone and between the nice scenery and nice conversation with Kim I was happy. I wish the other guys had FRS radios. Would have been great to chat bike to bike.

Now on a highway called 86... I've never been a huge fan of this stretch for one reason. See, there are a number of roads that enter from the side of the highway. No stoplights - you just have to hope people see you before they pull out into the flow of traffic. There are tons of collisions on this road caused by people pulling out in front of vehicles cooking down the highway. I remain aware of this possibility and stay on the lookout. Thankfully people appear to be seeing us just fine. PIAA 1100's are burning bright for more visibility. Even got a hearty wave from a big pack of Harley's. How refreshing. I rarely get waves from Harleys.

Fast forward a number of miles to a quaint little town called Brawley. Steve pulls over as we pause. He asks me and Kowboy, "Is the pace OK?" We both agree that it's perfect - and we're enjoying the ride immensely. Sadly, Steve's V-1 crapped out so we had to be a bit more careful than normal. We had about 20 miles to go to Calexico.

Riding into Calexico we were looking for the Fire Station that Jamie was kind enough to arrange parking for us at. As we rounded the corner I couldn't believe my eyes. 20+ Bikes all lined up at the fire station. Kim and I burst out laughing. "Wow! What a turnout!"

We parked and proceeded to get the gear off and lock the bike up. I couldn't believe how friendly and accomodating the Captain of the fire station was. It wasn't a problem to keep our jackets inside the garage, use the restroom, whatever we needed. "Just leave the keys right here on the table!" the Captain joked to me. The other fireman chuckled as did I. Nice nice guys - all cut from the same mold as Jamie. True heroes - every one of them. That brief moment I spent talking to the guys in the fire station - they made me feel like family. Amazing.

Walking back outside it was time to see old friends, meet new ones, admire bikes, swap stories, take pictures and laugh a lot. Bert & Wayne - it was nice to finally meet both of you. Leslie runs up and greets Kim and I with hugs and hands Kim the bmwrt.com shirt she promised she would bring. Thanks for remembering Leslie. Kim loves the shirt.

At last it was time to make a run (or walk as it were) for the border. About 10 blocks or so. A nice walk. As we neared the border crossing it dawned on me how bizarre this was. In about 10 steps I would be in an entirely different country, with a different language, culture, government, currency, everything. I have flown to Mexico many times, but never 'walked in'. This felt different for some reason.

I glanced off in the distance and saw a barbed wire fence that seemed to go on forever. That was the border. It looked eerie in a way. One side was the U.S. and the other was Mexico. As simple as that.

We snapped some pics and continued on into the Mexico border town of Mexicali. A bustling little town. Not knowing exactly where the restaurant was, we continued to walk - and Steve proceeds to flag down a policeman to ask him. We wait for Steve - and next thing we know we found it. We made it!

As others have pointed out, the hospitality was top notch - with our own room, and what seemed to be an endless amount of food. Just when you thought "that was it" the waitress would show up with another plate-full of another entree. The funny thing was - no egg rolls! But that didn't matter.

Kim went ahead an drank the iced tea on the table - I opted for bottled soda.

5 bucks a piece for a meal like this was amazing. And no Montezuma's revenge I might add.

After lunch, it was time to head back to America - and there was a slight problem. Leslie had misplaced her driver's license which was required to get back into the United States. Hopefully it wouldn't be a problem.

We get in a line that appears to be a mile long - waiting to go through customs. Security going back in the states appeared to be rather tight.

I remember waiting in line and looking at dozens and dozens of people (mainly Mexican) lining the entire route of the line - off to the side. Many of them looked very sad. I exchanged looks with some and could see something in their eyes that I cannot describe. It was almost as if they wanted to get across but they couldn't. Here we were happily waiitng to hop back into our country - and I realized that not everyone had this priviledge. I turned to Jim Moore - a U.S. Marine himself - and commented that this was indeed a humbling experience. At that moment I was thankful for the freedom to waltz back into a country that I love and that so many want to be a part of. Call it corny - but like I said - it's different 'walking' across into your country - for free and free of hassle. Quite a feeling.

As I handed the customs agent my driver's license - he examined it closely, looked at me, handed it back to me and said, "Welcome back".

"Thanks" I replied. I was thankful for so many things indeed at that moment.

The walk back to the fire station seemed fast - and it was time to gear up and head home. Steve and Jennifer were heading back towards my area so he asked if we wanted to ride along. "Absolutely" I replied.

At that point we stopped for gas to top off. Wow - the gas station was packed. Lines of cars. Lots of Mexico plates. Kind of chaotic. I was getting warm in my gear. Bike was warm. Getting thirsty. Getting annoyed - come on people hurry up for gosh sakes. Finally a pump opened up and were on our way in a few minutes.

The ride home was great - following the same route. Traffic was a bit heavier, but it seemed to go by quickly - at a brisk pace. Once we came upon the Salton Sea, Steve proceeded to pull off the highway. He read my mind. It was getting later in the day and approaching dusk. My favorite time of day. We made a pit stop on the shores of the Salton Sea to snap some pictures and admire this huge body of water in the middle of the desert. Hard to believe that something this beautiful can sometimes smell so bad and be so dirty. You'd never know it looking at it.

At that point, it was time to complete the last leg of the trip back to the Palm Springs area. We'd stop again at the Flying J truck stop where we met in the morning. As we rolled into the truck stop the sun was setting. Steve topped off with gas, and I parked. We decided to have some coffee / refreshments inside before saying goodbye. Much needed coffee. I was tired and Kim was pretty beat.

So me, Kim, Steve and Jennifer sat and chatted for awhile talking about the awesome day we just experienced, future rides, life in general, and admiring the 'character' of America's truck stops. Pretty funny places truck stops are. Pretty amazing country America is. Pretty awesome Chinese food in Mexico. and pretty INCREDIBLE people on this board.

Thanks to Steve for spearheading this idea. It was great riding with you and Jennifer. And again, thanks to all of you for making Kim and myself feel so welcome.

Can't wait for the next one. Definitely got to do something before Torrey!

I took a bunch of pictures and posted them on a very basic website. Take a look at the below link!

http://homepage.mac.com/tonym315/mexicali/PhotoAlbum22.html

AdventurePoser

Dawn came early on Sunday....

Tony,

An amazing write up...what are ya, a writer or something? grin.gifgrin.gif

Can't wait to do something like this again.

Steve

Man, you guys sure know how to make a guy feel hungry.

Great read from everyone.....could really feel the emotions!

Pat

You all crack me up! grin.gif

You sound like a great group of people. And, I do intend to meet up with ya all in the near future. I'm still getting used to, and trusting my RT.

I'm going to have some extra tme off coming up this Spring and Summer. Hope to meet as many of you as possible. grin.gif

And...if ya make me ride at the back of the pack, that's okay too! smirk.gif

And...if ya make me ride at the back of the pack, that's okay too! smirk.gif

That will not be a problem. You'll soon be riding faster than all of us once you get on these roads.

Daniel,

The back of the pack is usually reserved for me. If I'm there will toss a coin and see who loses. Of course we will use my coin and no.....you can't see the other side.

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Archived