IGNORED

Thanks!

Turbodog

Well, I have completed the 60,000 mile service on the RT-P I bought recently with the help of info from this site.

Changed the oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter (what a job THAT was)and sparkplugs. New oil in tranny and rear drive. New brake pads all the way round and flushed brake lines. Silverstar headlight bulb. Converted front turn signals to turn/running lights and rear brake to brake/running light. Found some spotlights to put in the PAR 36 strobe housings and wired them up as well as a pair of driving lights mounted on the crashbars. Replaced the round blue lights by the license plate with a pair of round LED lights from a truck stop. Perfect match! Starter was sounding bad so replaced it with a used one from a 03. Much better. Had shop run diagnostic and they found no faults.

I know that's all routine stuff for most of y'all but first time for me on this bike and was made much easier by the great DIY info on this site.

I have to second all who recommended Redline Shockproof Heavy oil for the tranny and rear drive. It actually does seem to have smoothed the shifting in the tranny some.

I really like this bike and enjoyed doing the service on it. Except that damn fuel filter. frown.gif Saved about $400.00 so will continue to do my own service in future. thumbsup.gif

Merry Christmas all Sporttouring bretheren - may your bikes crank up first time every time! grin.gif

I just did the 36K a few weeks ago myself. Dealer wanted $700 to do the work, so I figured I could do it myself and I did. Everything went well, until I did the wrong procedure on the TB synch. I was armed with the 1100 procedure instead of the 1150...and that's quite a bit different. So, the only advice I could give is to get the right TB procedure in writing in front of you and do it methodically, step by step. Everything will go smooth for you and like me you'll be saving yourself much $$ and also getting to know your bike much better.

Good luck, and Merry Christmas.

I just did the 36K a few weeks ago myself. Dealer wanted $700 to do the work, so I figured I could do it myself and I did. Everything went well, until I did the wrong procedure on the TB synch. I was armed with the 1100 procedure instead of the 1150...and that's quite a bit different. So, the only advice I could give is to get the right TB procedure in writing in front of you and do it methodically, step by step. Everything will go smooth for you and like me you'll be saving yourself much $$ and also getting to know your bike much better.

Good luck, and Merry Christmas.

Good advice thumbsup.gif I've got about 30000 miles to go grin.gif

I'd also like to add my thanks.

In my case, I've an automotive engineer who has worked on Japanese bikes for many years. Now though, as he sets up business himself, he wanted to get to grips with the RT. Mine was the guinea pig.

After giving Duncan all the manuals and instructions, I then told him about this site and in particular the balancing and sync threads.

Well, on the advice of the boards, he made the additions to the bodies and was very complimentary about the logic of process, employed by those who have drafted such excellent material.

Cut a long story short, my 24000 mile service, which included the Annual service cost me the grand total of £200.00. I've saved about £650.00, and my bike has never run so smoothly in the 20000 miles I have ridden it. The response is mindblowing and runs as smooth as a marble on a glass table right through the rev range. In fact, I now find that the bike will actually rev right past 5500 revs without any teasing. Sheer poetry.

Thanks a million guys!

Lawrence

Archived