IGNORED

The New BMW Toolkit

OlGeezer

DaveTheAffable

Lol....

Did you hurt your back? Need some help? Maybe an inventory sheet to make sure it all goes back in?

The classic high-quality BMW tool kit became fond memory of the past circa 2005 :(

Either a cost-cutting measure, or a corporate way of driving non-mechanical customers to the dealer more often -- or more likely, both. BMW's not stupid, and you can plainly see the same increase-the-opportunities-for-customer-interaction-and-service-sales techniques which have been applied in the automotive arena being applied on the motorrad side for a few years now. The new reality.

We've come a long way from the /2 or /5 days, when the owner's manuals had instructions for heavy maintenance work in them!

Afternoon OlGeezer

Well BMW had to somehow get that lower weight they advertise so heavily. Part of that weight savings is due to a very light weight tool kit.

On the same note some new cars come without spare tires.

They do make some really nice toolkits.

I picked up an Aerostitch tool rool while I was at a motorcycle event that a booth was selling for 50 percent off and built my own kit.

Once you get all the tools together and buy the tool roll you are almost spending as much as just buying one of these nice kits.

Last I heard the Honda ST1300 came with one Allen wrench and a small block of foam. No one knows what the foam is for. Of course with a Honda you probably won't need a tool kit anyway.

pete

Last I heard the Honda ST1300 came with one Allen wrench and a small block of foam. No one knows what the foam is for. Of course with a Honda you probably won't need a tool kit anyway.

pete

For most of my riding friends, the actual tool kit is a cell phone and a credit card.

:/

"...tool kit is a credit card and a cell phone."

But I can't figure out how to get the rear wheel off using a credit card and phone ;)

pete

Build your own kit and save $$ over premade kits

Even though it says GS,most if not all tools listed are common among the 1200 series.

Some of the camhead tools may be different.

Reasonable quality from Craftsman,Kobalt,Mac,Snap On or go budget and get em at Harbor Freight.

Other good tips and tricks on the site,including getting rid of some weird BMW fasteners and replacing with more common ones so that you don't need extra tools.

http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/toolkit.html

JR356

But I can't figure out how to get the rear wheel off using a credit card and phone ;)

pete

I'm not sure, but I'd be willing to be duct tape is needed...

WTF?

I just opened mine for the first time!

It does make a convenient place to keep insurance and registration paperwork: Plenty of room in there :rofl:

pete

I'm not sure, but I'd be willing to be duct tape is needed...

Well you are in luck because duct tape is in the >$400 tool kit. :wave:

The toolkit does give you the torx wrench to remove bodywork, fix saddlebag hinges, etc., but frankly there's nothing you can fix out on the road anyway. The tool for the oil filler plug is there, too.

But, if you do carry a tire plug kit, you'll want to add a pair of pliers if you want to actually use it.

Archived