IGNORED

adding a second horn on 2012 RT

onedae

I have read most of the posts on beefing up the wimpy stock horn so I have a pretty goood idea of the choices. I have decided to install the dual horn set up form the earlier RT's and have already ordered the parts from my dealer. But being the electrical idiot that I am, I have a few questions about the wiring and hope someone here can help me. I purchased the 2 pin repair plug and intended to splice that into the stock horn connector wire. But I can see that it is too short to reach from where the second horn will be mounted. Can I just add some wire to the repair plug and then splice into the stock horn harness using a posi-tap? any special issues re wire gauge or method of connecting the wire extensions to the repair plug? any polarity concerns? anyhting else to worry about??

In short, if someone who has already done this can give me detailed instructions I would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

Afternoon onedae

To answer your question "NO" I haven't added 2nd horn on the 2012 RT. I have on the earlier 1200RT's though.

Before buying a lot of connectors look on the left dash support tube (where the 2nd horn would mount). On the older 1200RTs there was an ear there with hole there for 2nd horn as well as a 2nd horn pig tail already there & taped to the dash support tube with a horn connector already on it.

Thanks for the info DR. The mounting tab is still there on the later RT's but I am told that the OEM connector is no longer present. I'll see for myself when I take the plastic off. In any event, I'm going try and install the second horn and splice the connector into the OEM horn wire. The Canbus capacity was supposedly upped to 10 amps from 5 amps so I'm hoping it will handle the current without shutting down. Worst case, I'll have the dealer install a relay set up.

FWIW: Horns, especially aftermarket loud horns, can draw a lot of amps. The factory wiring is adequate for the original meep-meep horn, but IMO is unndersized for a pair of good honkers.

For my dual horns, I picked up a matching repair connector from my dealer, and plugged it into the original horn harness. These two wires are now used as the trigger for a separate relay which controls current flow from the battery directly to my dual hi/lo FIAMMs.

Maybe a bit of overkill, but I'll never have to worry about either overloading the stock wiring or the ZFE cutting off the horn for over-draw protection.

Sorry if I am late, added horns from 2005 RT after my Steibel air horn failed. Used the same relay harness from Steibel. Horns will fit on the pancake horn's mounting hole, and will wake the dead. The Steibel was great for the 2 months it lasted. Best, Bob

For anyone interested in how this project turned out, it works great. I replaced the stock horn with the earlier RT low tone horn, added a second OEM high tone horn mounted on the still existing bracket, ran a wire from the second horn to the original horn and connected the two with a cuple of positaps. No relay, no mess of wires, VERY LOUD. Beats the Stebel setup!!

Archived