IGNORED

2006-2008 BMW K1200GT Longevity

BruceWA

OK, have almost 50k on my 06 KGT and have had only a few minor issues, bike is fun to ride but I'm curious if it will have the same type of longeity as the older K bikes and R bikes. What is the consensus???

Like all BMWs the slant-K bikes have their share of foibles, most of which can be remedied if you know your stuff. But in terms of major core engine wear items there is no reason to believe that they shouldn't do as well or better than any other model, and there are many high-mileage examples to prove it. BMW motorcycles break but they do not wear out.

RichEdwards

My '07 KGT has 34,000 miles on it (it shares travel duties with my GSA) and is still running well with no big issues at all. I see myself keeping this bike for a long time since it is so powerful and comfortable (with my Rick Mayer seat).

My '07 KGT has 34,000 miles on it (it shares travel duties with my GSA) and is still running well with no big issues at all. I see myself keeping this bike for a long time since it is so powerful and comfortable (with my Rick Mayer seat).

and because that way I have a bike faster than Tim's 03 GT.

(fixed for ya)

;)

Many examples of flying bricks with hundreds of thousands of miles.

I've seen over 300,000.

The newer K's should do well also.

My thanks to all of you for the information and opinions. Just maybe I will keep and ride it for many more years, she is one sweet bike. Seems like each time I consider another bike.....after I take the GT out I wonder why!! I just love it.

I think the original and vintage GT's are underappreciated.

I hope to be able to ride mine for a long time.

FWIW, the addition of a Remus titanium silencer has added 7-8 hp and shed about 17lbs from stock. Makes wonderful music. :clap:

Paul Mihalka
FWIW, the addition of a Remus titanium silencer has added 7-8 hp and shed about 17lbs from stock. Makes wonderful music. :clap:

I do believe 17 lbs and the wonderful music. I would need some proof to accept the 7-8 hp.

Archived