IGNORED

audio system on new RT

onedae

Just picked up a new 2012 RT and the bike is fabulous. BUT one big negative - the audio system!! This is my first BMW with an audio system and I only got it because I could not find one equipped the way I wanted without the system. It is the most convoluted, counter-intuitive system I have ever seen. The audio engineer must have been on some serious mind enhancing drugs when it was designed OR I'm just not too bright. Either way it was frustrating getting everything set up. But its mostly done and now I'm going to ride.

beemerman2k

Man, this is why I simply bought an iPod, some nice ear plugs that fit inside my full face helmet, and called it a day. Nice full music that I could easily hear at any speed.

I always felt there's just too much noises on a motorcycle for an external speaker system to do much good.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

It is the most convoluted, counter-intuitive system I have ever seen

Agreed but, I keep hearing a voice. Might be a subliminal message, "U vill like und listen to zee radio at all times or zere vill be punishment!"

I've yet to bother with setting stations.

Beemerman

The speakers work great when standing around outside Starbucks.

...counter-intuitive system...

Indeed.

As an engineer myself, I hate to read manuals (which I admit, I did on this one). It's interesting that a separate manual is supplied just for the audio system.

I have just one thing to say about the audio system: profit! I mean, did you notice how much they get for the thing? I've bought cars for less and their audio systems worked better.

pete

the radio system is useless. can't pipe it into a helmet unless you get a mega bux Schuberth.

fortunately the NavIV has bluetooth so the iPod works

I'm a lightweight when it comes to managing media files so this is probably obvious. I made a music playlist for my audio system and when I loaded it onto a flash drive the song order got completely scrambled. I can't edit the drive to get the song order back to how I want it. Any thoughts appreciated.

Camhead in STL
I made a music playlist for my audio system and when I loaded it onto a flash drive the song order got completely scrambled.

Playlist files (per se) are NOT supported. What you do is create folders/directories in the base directory of the thumb drive and put the songs in the folder in order... it will play them alphabetically.

The playlist folders are named "BMW1, BMW2," etc.

Inside each folder, name the songs 01-xxx, 02-xxx etc.

While listening, toggle thru the playlists using the Mode button.

Happily, I bought my RT used and the radio/CD was on it so I didn't choose to pay extra for it. Having heard it though, I wouldn't give you 2 cents for it. Totally worthless IMHO, UNLESS you're parked somewhere and wanted some sounds.

The only thing I use mine for is to pipe in my Garmin GPS's FM directions audio on frequency 87.x (I don't have Bluetooth).

When the GPS isn't sending out directions, the radio stays nicely quiet, no static noises at all.

zhukov1942 -

Not exactly true - you CAN get the sound into any helmet with a BMW plug that you can order. After you get it, solder it to a 3.5mm jack and you can then pipe it into whatever you want to send the music into your helmet.

I have done this with my 2012 BMW RT and put the music into my Autocom, which feeds the music into my helmet. I turned off the speakers on the bike (so I won't bother anyone with my music at a stop light) and the system works perfectly!

It can be done!

Jim

zhukov1942 -

Not exactly true - you CAN get the sound into any helmet with a BMW plug that you can order. After you get it, solder it to a 3.5mm jack and you can then pipe it into whatever you want to send the music into your helmet.

I have done this with my 2012 BMW RT and put the music into my Autocom, which feeds the music into my helmet. I turned off the speakers on the bike (so I won't bother anyone with my music at a stop light) and the system works perfectly!

It can be done!

Jim

you got a part number? wonder why the dealer didn't mention that

also, I use a Scala Rider intercom, so I'm assuming the Autocom isn't compatible

Hmm I reckon there's always one in crowd with a conflicting view. I didn't have a choice with the audio system on my 2012RT and laughed when I saw it, figuring I'd remove it and use the space for something else. But dang, even with earplugs I hear the unit just fine and though I turn it off more than on, it's nice to get weather/hwy info and the occaisional Dead song. But mine did come with the Sirius radio so no commercials and deadicated channels. I would admit though I love the music my "mistress" makes and do like to stay focused on the job at hand which would be thwarting the homcidial manics in cages trying to rain on my parade.

I traded my wonderful 2007 R1200 RT for the 2012. Unfortunately it has the horrible audio system. The control wheel is not only useless, it inhibits thumb access to the LH turn signal. My dealer, Charlotte BMW, busted thier butts and installed a new switch on warranty. After a short ride it seems to be more sensitive to engagement pressure.

This is a very poor design, IMHO. The engineer must have hands like a pro basketball player. I've adjuste hand position to accomodate the turn signal. Better now, but why did I have to do this?

The 2012 RT is now an electronic gadget that doubles as a motorcycle. The 2007 was a motorcycle w/ usefull electronics.

This audio system is a huge waste of money. I didn't want it to begin with, but that's the only way I could get a new R1200 RT.

zhukov1942 -

It can be done!

Jim

you got a part number? wonder why the dealer didn't mention that

also, I use a Scala Rider intercom, so I'm assuming the Autocom isn't compatible

Look at this post (http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=69406&Number=775010#Post775010) and posts after it. It has the part numbers and a reference to pics on BMWOA.

It works great. Sad that we have to find a way around BMW's inept Bluetooth, unless you want to spend $$$$ for the one helmet system (BMW's) that works.

-Mark

This audio system is a huge waste of money. I didn't want it to begin with, but that's the only way I could get a new R1200 RT.

Ditto! All the dealers seem to be ordering only bikes with it. Must be to pad their profit margin? I'd love to be able to figure out how to remove the darn thing - a radioectomy; the little glove-box would be far more useful!

• 1 month later...

I second RT-Jim's comment that with a little effort, you can get the audio into a helmet. I have a 2012 R1200RT and I bought the matching NMW 4 pin plug (only 3 wires out) that sits under the steering head (along with the Nav 4 power plug and the Nav 4 audio plug). I used a Radio Shack stereo 3mm plug and cable connected to the BMW plug. I connected the 3 mm stereo plug to the Aux inlet on my J&M Integrator. Great sound into the helmet--AM, FM and XM. This procedure would work with any integrater type helmet headset system like Autocomm, Star or others.

Kinda sad when one has to pay over a grand for a radio that can't be clearly heard at highway speeds. I do better with ear buds, my cell phone, and Pandora. I got a Nav lV but haven't installed it yet. Hope voice comes through the system better than music...I had an 03 1150 RT and the sound system on it wasn't any better or worse than the new one. Less complicated though.

Archived