IGNORED

Blitzen and the National Rally

tom collins

tom collins

K-friends:

I took my recently purchased K1200RS to Sedalia. I really enjoyed the ride. Of course, it was hot. That said, the good qualities of the machine are the bottomless well of torque for instant passing; the stability, does not annoy with little adjustments required; and with a qualifier, the ergos. While at the rally, I had the chance to try a Sargent seat. Many people like them, but I found that it did not have the little tilt at the back that helps you to the bars. I actually like the shape of the stock seat, but my problem is the close fit between seat and pegs that is hard on older hips and knees. The high position also tilts the seat back, so it does not work for me either. Rick Mayer was at the rally, so I had measurements and pictures taken and will send them the stock seat in the fall. They can keep the curve, but raise it and widen it a little in the back. Mileage was just OK at around 40 or less depending on speed and head wind conditions (RT was closer to 50 and 6.5 gallon tank). Finally, can not say enough about having electronic cruise control.

At the pin-striper, I christened the bike "Blitzen". Not original I know, but fitting.

There were some great roads down toward Lake of the Ozarks and the bike handled like all RS's, in that you had to enter the turn at the right speed and accel through and out, no braking in corners. With the huge roll-on power, this was easier than ever before. Also enjoyed the howl at around 125 mph.

On the whole, 550 miles (one way) went by very nicely. This may be an out of date model, but not obsolete by any stretch of the imagination and you would have to prove to me that the new frame mounted engines are as smooth as this one.

Tom

Tom,

Shhhhh...

You want to drive prices up on the flying bricks?

:grin:

I have long legs

:dopeslap:

added peg lowering and seat in high position to improve leg room

but honestly find it much more comfortable than the upright boxers and newer KGT.

Smmoootthhh for sure.

I hate to admit but more than once I've forgotten to shift rolling out of a small town just turned the throttle.

:P

Archived