IGNORED

R1200 RT Side Case Scratch

Gary_L

One of my side cases sustained a nice 4 inch scratch (on the door, not the mounted side).

It appears to be a painted surface, so I would presume a good body repair shop could fix it. Do any of you experts believe this to be the case(certainly no pun intended).

Worse case (no pun intended), I'll just have to buy another.

It's painted. It would probably cost $200 to get it repainted, if you want a good job done on it.

Then you realize what you will do, don't you?

Scratch it again. And the other side, too. Nobody every looks at those little scratches. Every bike has them.

dc

There's no covering this one. As you face the bike from the side, it's right on the "beauty line" right after the curved surface.

It's painted. It would probably cost $200 to get it repainted, if you want a good job done on it.

Scratch it again. And the other side, too. Nobody every looks at those little scratches. Every bike has them.

dc

Well, I hear you.

$200? No problem.

I somehow did manage to keep my (former) Sportster scratch-free for 10 years. It's annoying that I've only had the RT 1 week (new from the dealer) and already had this happen.

dc

I must say, I agree. I've owned this RT now for six months/12k miles. I think that both sides of the bags have scuff marks on them (?), but I don't care. If you use the bike, they will get scratched... that's how it goes.

Rather than treat them everytime you get a scratch...maybe do it once a year when you have several..I don't know about the 1200 but on my 1150 I have been anal enough to buy just the lid and replace it..there are a few of us who are anal....

Hi. If there is, e.g., a community college close by that has an automotive technology program that has an auto body shop, they may be able to paint it for you for the cost of the paint plus a small percentage. Of course, it would be students doing the work.

---John.

There is resto-guy that did some really great work for me that I've contacted. This will be no big deal to fix.

All points and suggestions well taken. I understand, scuffs and scratches etc will occur. This one is rather annoying to me as the bike is fresh off the show room floor.

I'm sure it will look great.

But I've got 142 days as the over/under on number of days

until you'll need to consider doing it again.

I'm thinking of some 3M vehicle wrap. Design your own logo-pattern-graphic-whatever, place over side case to cover old and prevent new scratches.

I'm sure it will look great.

But I've got 142 days as the over/under on number of days

until you'll need to consider doing it again.

+2... Live with it.. you'l have more..

Let's see.. the time I came flying home from work, jumped off the bike and forgot I didn't have the kickstand down! D'OH! and the time my friend opened his case lid and the "bungee" inside wasn't attached and it scraped the ground. Oh Yeah, then there was that time I left my bike idling in the drive-way for just 30 seconds, went into the garage to grab my helmet and heard "CLUNK" as the bike fell over.... Sheez....

Then there is an old friend of mine (may he RIP) forgot to close his side case completely and took off, dragging the lid every left hand turn, did not notice til gas stop! Not to mention the missing gear. :dopeslap:

Archived