IGNORED

R1200RT ESAII Adjustment

ScurvyBrother

ScurvyBrother

This is probably a question I should have asked before buying a 2012 R1200RT with ESAII. When you select a preload of 1-up (1 helmet on the display), how does/could the bike know how much you weigh? Is there an adjustment for the 1-up preload from which 1-up with luggage and 1-up with pillion would be based upon? Seems like the 1-up ride is a bit stiff for me weighing 190 lbs.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

The preload is likely based upon a standard rider weight...whatever that is.

Try the comfort setting if you are on normal or sport. That should change the ride feel. Mine is definitely stiffer than the r11rt on all settings.

The preload pretty much just impacts settling height.

Firefight911

BMW utilizes a standard rider weight at around 180-185 lbs. The stiffness you are feeling is most likely due in part to one of the following....

You have come from a bike that is/was under sprung,

An under damped bike,

A worn out set up,

A bike suspension not set up properly,

You are running the damping at a higher setting than you need for the conditions you are riding in,

Familiarity to a new steed.

The shock is not adjustable without a complete removal and then replacement of the spring. It is quite doubtful a different spring would help here as you are in the target range for the "standard."

You will also most likely find that the ride will "soften" with miles as the bike beds in over the next 2000 to 4000 miles.

Now, with all of that having been said, the ONLY way to truly know whether you have the right spring is to measure the sag your bike exhibits. This is a purely objective measurement that would reveal just where you are with you and your bike.

I weigh around 200 lbs (unless I've been enjoying myself too much) and ran into the same thing. I found that when I changed the preload to 1 rider with luggage the suspension felt much better.

Archived